Blown 2.7L Ecoboost Engines -TSB, What Root Cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
They spent so much on the bottom end with its six bolt mains, forged components and etc maybe they shouldve sprung for press in bronze valve guides on the top end too.

Necessary for it's dual-duty Diesel application.

The root cause is Ford engineering is inexperienced at designing these (turbo efficient) engines and learning on the job how to apply all the tech. They are definitely learning and addressing.

I am skipping domestic turbo designs to let our engineers learn. They offer natural aspirated engines it seems across the board in same models.

Four bolt, six bolt used to be a big deal - but wonder how much is driven by aluminum requiring it ?
My 5.3L is six at less power density...

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
The vehicle may also exhibit diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0300,
P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0316, P0524 and/or P06DD with the excessive oil consumption. Oil
consumption may be 1 Liter (1 quart) in less than 4,800 km (3,000 miles).

I thought all the automakers considered 1 qt per 1,000 miles excessive, and anything less they won't do anything about. Now all of a sudden it's 1 qt per 3,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Originally Posted By: Ram02
That sucks people paying a lot of coin for these trucks and there's been a lot of problems with ecoboost V6's
I hope Ford find a solution quick
Ummm, Ford could buy & install GM pushrod V8's in their pickup trucks instead....
27.gif

Good one, the ford/chevy jabs will go on forever just like Michigan/Ohio. I think the real fix is to just get to Ford 5.0 Naturally aspirated V8 to begin with.

You are right that the 5.0 is the way to go if you want a Ford engine. On the other hand, Ford could buy a big load of 5.7L Hemi's from Ram. I am getting 23 MPG overall with my truck. Smooth, powerful, totally reliable, and does not use a drop of oil between 5K miles changes.

That sucks people paying a lot of coin for these trucks and there's been a lot of problems with ecoboost V6's
Ummm, Ford could buy & install GM pushrod V8's in their pickup trucks instead....
27.gif

Or use their own V8 Coyote engine.
wink.gif

I have a close friend that got bitten by the 2.7L Eco recently. He received a call from his wife after she apparently "smoked out the parking lot at the country club". With no oil on the dipstick he queried the dealership who then told him it was normal until it had cooled for 30 minutes.

Long story short Lincoln bought the car back. It was a very nice vehicle (black label) but unfortunately ruined by it's engines shortcomings.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
would be nice if they went back to normal, serviceable valve guides made of a more common alloy.
like the stuff that worked for the last 100 years.

Ford's metallurgy has been on the decline for at least 20 yrs. Mebbe longer. Just hearsay, but I hear it a lot. In general, DI has a way to go before I'll buy one.

Per edyvw - done by an engineering firm in Germany ... sounds like QAQC to me. Not sure why they need both the 3.5L and 2.7L offered in F150 - the N/A V6, V8 and a 3.5L eb (focus on getting that one right) is plenty for light truck series or add a 4L diesel to line up ...

27.gif

Not sure how we can expect them to get things like turbos and DI right if they can't even machine the bores correctly or put valve guides in.

Can't figure out why Ford even puts a 2.7L V6 in an F150 here, or even builds the 2.7L at all. Whats the advantage?

1. Weight savings? No, not really. --- 3.5L ecoboost V6 weighs 449 lbs, and the 2.7L = 440 lbs, about the same.

2. Better MPG? Marginally yes. --- 3.5L gets 1 MPG (city+hiway) less than the 2.7L, not much of a difference. Real world, it may even be the same MPG.

3. Better power? No, the 3.5L = 365 hp, the 2.7L = 325 hp

4. Is it a selling point at Ford dealerships? No, since very little or no apparent advantages appear in the weaker 2.7L engine.

The irony is Ford might have thought it had a more durable engine using Compacted Graphite Iron block material, and now this smoking thing destroys their reputation. The 3.5L ecoboost is not beaten here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
. In general, DI has a way to go before I'll buy one.

Same here.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Ford's metallurgy has been on the decline for at least 20 yrs.

Ford has been outsourcing to an Indian firm and a subsidiary of Fiat for their blocks and heads. Only GM has their own foundry in house.

Originally Posted By: nthach

Ford has been outsourcing to an Indian firm and a subsidiary of Fiat for their blocks and heads. Only GM has their own foundry in house.

Bharat forge? I remember reading about them making cranks way back for the Cyclone around 2004. Diamler-Chrysler also secured cranks and cams for some of their engines around the same time.

Last edited:
That's them. The Indian iron/steel industry seems like it's still in its infancy even though the US pipe/bar market is getting flooded with their cast iron pipe.

Then again, Jaguar Land Rover is a part of Tata and who knows if there's cross-divisional pollination between their car/truck division and their steel division.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back