Black widow spider “beware close up photo”

Status
Not open for further replies.
This southern girl lived through our mild winter. Makes me want to use a flame thrower on the yard and I really miss my chickens. Oh sweet dreams guys and gals.

Brown widows have taken over here. My Wife walked in the house and had a big one on her just this morning.

These Black & Brown Widows sound like a [censored] nuisance just like their cousins, the Redback Spider here in Australia... Which live in messy webs particularly in sheltered & warmer areas of the household. It is not uncommon for roof cavities in houses to be filled with the buggers.

We have more fiddle backs here than widows I hate only those two don’t mind the rest. We occ get a Mexican black widow also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Brown widows have taken over here. My Wife walked in the house and had a big one on her just this morning.
We have them here too now. They say that Katrina some how spread them.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Isn't the red on a black widow on the underside ?

Looks more like one of our redbacks.
That is what I was thinking.

There about 5-6 different ones here in the states. I believe only the northerns have just red on bottom. The rest have some markings on top and bottom.

Northern
Western
Southern
Mexican
Red
And Browns

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AVB
I have never seen that pattern on a black widow before.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
Ugh! This reminds me of the upside to our cold winters.

Yes. Makes me want to move even further north.

We have both black widows along with brown recluse and tarantulas here in Texas, but the area I currently live in has bunches of scorpions - we haven't seen a widow or recluse nor tarantula in the almost 2 years we've lived here.

Louisiana was a whole 'nother story - BIG black widows would get between external window screens & glass windows, in old bricks that had holes leftover from the house construction, etc - they were EVERYWHERE! Brown widows in the area as well, and brown recluse, but we never saw either of those on our property. We and our pets never got bitten.

Wikipedia shows a photo with patterns like the OP under "behavior"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrodectus

I do know 2 people bitten by brown recluse in Texas. Nasty residual scars eith no live nerves surrounding the bite site

My inlaws had tarantulas at their retirement place in Arkansas...I just about died when my little daughter ran to pick one up like she thought it was a little fuzzy toy, good thing my wife got ahold of her first. One of my nieces came within inches of stepping on a copperhead sitting on the front door mat of that place.

IDK if living further North is a good tradeoff, is it worth definitely getting 1000 blackfly and 100 mosquito bites per year to avoid the slight possibility of a black widow bite?

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
My inlaws had tarantulas at their retirement place in Arkansas...I just about died when my little daughter ran to pick one up like she thought it was a little fuzzy toy, good thing my wife got ahold of her first. One of my nieces came within inches of stepping on a copperhead sitting on the front door mat of that place.

IDK if living further North is a good tradeoff, is it worth definitely getting 1000 blackfly and 100 mosquito bites per year to avoid the slight possibility of a black widow bite?

I’ve seen the tarantulas in far north-central AR near the MO border, near Bull Shoals Lake. In Sept. & Oct, you can see them out on the roads sunning themselves. Hwy. 125, specifically.

The tarantulas here in Arkansas are not harmful to humans. Having been bit by one we kept as a pet, it felt akin to a minor bee sting. They do not have enough venom to harm a human. This is true of I believe every Tarantula in the US. There isn't much reason to be afraid of them. However, In central arkansas, the danger is the brown recluse as they like to live both above and below houses. I have had quite a few people who work for cable companies report having had to go to the hospital multiple times to get their bites checked/treated.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

I’ve seen the tarantulas in far north-central AR near the MO border, near Bull Shoals Lake. In Sept. & Oct, you can see them out on the roads sunning themselves. Hwy. 125, specifically.

Yup, they were near Mountain Home between the two big dammed up lakes. We drove up into MO a few times to visit the Laura Ingalls Wilder site in Mansfield as my wife is a fan of hers. I believe that 125 was part of one of the many routes we tried from Springfield/Branson Airport into AR, they were all pretty meandering and I remember my daughter getting badly carsick on one drive in. Also tried flying into Little Rock and Memphis, long drive from any of them.

We would go once a year as a family when my daughter was small, but I dropped off the visits later because we had run out of new things to do there and the FIL didn't seem excited to have me around. They had a nice 20+ acre spread and it was pretty around there, but my MIL moved back North to be closer to family after her husband died so we may not end up in that part of the country again. We used to go swimming in the lakes and I remember the flooding was so bad on one trip that we were swimming over the access road and guardrail for the park we were intending to visit.

We would also spend a day in Branson on some of our trips and I got a kick out of seeing shows there. Everything was tried was high quality and they had some really talented entertainers, I remember seeing some of them leaving after a show and it seemed like none of them had a car worth more than maybe $500...guess they weren't getting rich as singer/dancers in Branson!!

Last edited:
Have been bitten by the Oz version twice, only little ones, no lasting effects...

Stuffed if I know what brand got me Monday two weeks ago...
full-688-21106-20180307_202624.jpg

Nearly gone now.

Haven't seen a funnelweb yet at the new place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back