Black Friday Deals @NewEgg start 11-26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fabulous Price on that WD Velociraptor !!! .

Unfortunately, it was a #*%&# TYPO - When the sale started they changed it to $229 (+ $30 rebate).

[I suspect they floated this "red herring" to get the word out. If so, really cheap tactics by the 'egg]

Last edited:
Yeah, I was going to buy a batch of those for a couple VMWare servers at work, but not at the post-typo price.

I did buy a power supply and an HD2600Pro video card for the wife's PC. About $55 for both after rebates.

Picked up a 1tb WD for $94 and and enclosure for it for $24.

Also a Canon 590 camera for my daughter, 19 inch LCD monitor to replace my 17" LCD in the reloading room and office 2007 for 3 computers for $70.

Also got my Dell Vostro 220 with 20" monitor yesterday. Nice unit.

Take care, bill

I'm amazed at how cheap one can built a PC for nowadays. I was looking at the 1TB drive & Rosewill enclosure (that Bill mentioned) but they were out of the enclosure. What caught my eye was the deal on the AMD 5200+ CPU for $56.00, no shipping costs.

I coupled that with an Asus AMD M/B with 780G chipset for $133 delivered to my door (us TN folks have to pay tax to NewEgg).

I have the rest of the fixin's laying around here. I get to upgrade my 6 year old P4 2.4 to an AMD dual core machine so little!

happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
I'm amazed at how cheap one can built a PC for nowadays. I was looking at the 1TB drive & Rosewill enclosure (that Bill mentioned) but they were out of the enclosure. What caught my eye was the deal on the AMD 5200+ CPU for $56.00, no shipping costs.

I coupled that with an Asus AMD M/B with 780G chipset for $133 delivered to my door (us TN folks have to pay tax to NewEgg).

I have the rest of the fixin's laying around here. I get to upgrade my 6 year old P4 2.4 to an AMD dual core machine so little!

happy2.gif

what did you use to make sure your mobo works with the AMD dual core processor?
I have a P4 2.5 that I want to upgrade.

The spec's page for the mobo and the user reviews. Plus, that series CPU from AMD isn't all that new, it's a 65watt CPU. The 89+ watt models are often the ones you have to watch out for thermal and voltage issues.

Didn't need the headache nor the extra expense, so the 5200+ was chosen.

Got my enclosure and 1 TB SATA drive.

Sweet. I went ahead and hooked up the sata connection on one computer and USB the rest of the computers/laptops.

Very fast, quiet and runs cool. I don't need to run the cooling fan on the drive.

Also the $89 ASUS LCD monitor is fantastic.

I've backed up every computer and laptop with the new system.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
The spec's page for the mobo and the user reviews. Plus, that series CPU from AMD isn't all that new, it's a 65watt CPU. The 89+ watt models are often the ones you have to watch out for thermal and voltage issues.

Didn't need the headache nor the extra expense, so the 5200+ was chosen.

How is the build going? I'm thinking about gutting my AMD Athlon 1100 and going with a new board, the same processor you got, 4GB ram, new SATA hdd, and a new(er) power supply. Figure it will cost about $300 or so.. and I have a better machine than I can go get off the shelf somewhere for less $$

Build went A-OK. 4-1GB DIMMS, Segate HD. Reused the old case & PS with a 20-to-24 pin adapter, and reused the DVD drive. It went smooth as glass. No complaints. :)

I put XP on there for the sake of compatibility on a small partition. Since Windows 7 is right around the corner, I'm going to hold off on Vista on this thing and just put Ubuntu 8.10 w/the Edbuntu add-on disk on it with a dual boot.

I figure Windows 7 will arrive by fall '09 at the latest so PC makers can outfit all PC's for Christmas next year with it. I can't see MS dropping the ball on this one as there far too much riding on it coming to market in a timely manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back