BITOG Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
This site is a godsend when compared to other forums. I can understand the frustration where the search feature is concerned but that's it. When new to Bitog i had the same complaint. The site veterans suggested i search using Google and the problem was solved.

Search is easily fix: go to google and type in
site:bobistheoilguy.com search terms
Works on other sites too!

I like BITOG as it is. Loads fast, few ads. Heck: just not having those stupid clickbait ads at the bottom is worth the price of entry.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: CT8
The site works fine . My complaint is I usually browse when doing something else and some times in my haste there are no mistakes until I read the poat later and see the mistakes i made and can not correct them.

I see what you mean
wink.gif

lol.gif

I think it’s great, only issue is the time limitbon editing or removing a post. I don’t understand the reasoning behind it. The new post’s part works well for me.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
I think it’s great, only issue is the time limitbon editing or removing a post. I don’t understand the reasoning behind it.

eljefino explained it pretty well, IMO...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The edit feature is IMO just there in case you catch your own typo. It's unethical to go in days later and change things around after you've had people replying to your original post.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I like the format/layout of this site.

2nd

The layout of this site is superior to any other forum I've ever seen. Some forms are just a huge mess!

+3, 4 or whatever number it's up to now. I used to frequent an Accord forum. What a hot mess of ads, pop-ups that place is. Supposedly as a mod there's less ads to deal with but you would never know it. The prior owner sold it to Autoguide and ever since then, ad central.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
And how come we can't delete posts or comments?

Because you are responsible for what you say and have said. If you say something untrue, it's on you forever. I kinda like that. It has taught me to be more careful
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

Because you are responsible for what you say and have said. If you say something untrue, it's on you forever. I kinda like that. It has taught me to be more careful
smile.gif

I think it used to work though, and I've accidentally replied to the wrong post and tried to delete it immediately afterward and it doesn't work.

Why not remove the delete button then?

We have tested several other forum products, looking for mobile and something 'better'. We have always come to the same conclusion. The layout of UBB just can't be beaten, also the clean lines (depending on your color scheme, Red_Gray is my favorite) are very good. There are a couple forums I would like to try, but the problem is, with a forum like BITOG you don't "try" different forum software. If you migrate, you are 100% committed. There is no Go-Back button.

I installed both IPB and Xenforo in hidden folders and gave them a whirl, some good features with IPB, but the layout is ugly. Xenforo is really good, but no importer for UBB and we aren't about to experiment. UBB still has a couple feature that are unique and we almost can't live without. The security of UBB is second to none. Every other forum I know of has many security problems. As for mobile, to me it's just broken when you have the option of using the layout of UBB on a mobile device. Why fix something that isn't broken?

Wayne

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

smile.gif

I think it used to work though, and I've accidentally replied to the wrong post and tried to delete it immediately afterward and it doesn't work.

Why not remove the delete button then?

If you really want it deleted, just click the "notify" button on the post as ask for it to be deleted.

Originally Posted By: wwillson
We have tested several other forum products, looking for mobile and something 'better'. We have always come to the same conclusion. The layout of UBB just can't be beaten, also the clean lines (depending on your color scheme, Red_Gray is my favorite) are very good. There are a couple forums I would like to try, but the problem is, with a forum like BITOG you don't "try" different forum software. If you migrate, you are 100% committed. There is no Go-Back button.

I installed both IPB and Xenforo in hidden folders and gave them a whirl, some good features with IPB, but the layout is ugly. Xenforo is really good, but no importer for UBB and we aren't about to experiment. UBB still has a couple feature that are unique and we almost can't live without. The security of UBB is second to none. Every other forum I know of has many security problems. As for mobile, to me it's just broken when you have the option of using the layout of UBB on a mobile device. Why fix something that isn't broken?

Wayne

Thanks, Wayne, for all your hard work and for making this site so worthwhile.

2018 donation sent.

Cheers,
Astro

Originally Posted By: Al
Why is this board so archaic in its features? : Terrible search, when you post and edit it takeks 5 clicks (at least) to get it back to where it was, edit feature expires, no "New Posts" choice, no Gallery... Probably just me.

I'm already wrong it has "Active Topics"

I find it pretty easy to use the board, but the search feature is junk. Just use a string like this in Google to search for stuff on BITOG. "looking for this" is what you're searching for.

looking for this site:bobistheoilguy.com

Example, try putting BITOG Board site:bobistheoilguy.com in Google and you'll find this thread. Results: LINK

And yes, this site does work pretty well on a cell phone, which is a plus if you're mobile.

Noticed that too. So if you want to "delete" your post just edit it and put in a few dots ... or he word "deleted" (or whatever) and then save it.

Most of the features I find work very well. I do okay with the search, but yes, it does have its limitations. This is one of the few boards that gets me to all my unread posts by subforum, without any goofups. It works fairly seamlessly for me, other than that Cloudflare glitch some months back, which Wayne fixed nicely.

I'd like to be able to delete posts again, obviously only within the editing window, of course. Nonetheless, my complaints are few.

By the way, Al, while you're not as much as a blabbermouth here as I am, your post count indicates you're quite adept at using the forum.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: wwillson
The layout of UBB just can't be beaten, also the clean lines (depending on your color scheme, Red_Gray is my favorite)

I prefer BITOG-Dark. Its easier on my eyes and doesn't fatigue as fast from the brighter screen of the gray scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back