Bit the Bullet! 2015 Venza V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, so I bit the bullet and picked up a 2015 Venza LE V6 in Parisian blue pearl with 41,000km (25k miles) for 20k canadian. 1 owner lease return, no accidents. I have only driven it a bit but it drives very smooth and am quite happy with it this far. I will do a thorough review with pics in the next few weeks. I think it will serve my family well for the next 10 years lol. Plan to run an OEM filter and do oil changes at the dealer until the powertrain warranty ends next May. Kept my 07 Corolla as a 2nd car (has 270k km and runs great). We needed more space and with 2 kids it fit our needs perfectly. Tire prices are stressing me out...will need to get some 18 inch steelies and rubber for winter...any advice on maintenance appreciated. I have no experience with the V6 engine. Anything to look out for pre end of warranty? All advice and suggestions appreciated
smile.gif
Thanks!

We have a 2013 with the same 3.5l v6 and are very happy with it. If you don't already have one, pick up an oil filter wrench for when you start changing oil if you do it yourself. I bought one by MotivX and it works well but there are others.

Ours has about 40k miles on the clock so far and will be looking at replacing the original Michelins before the end of the year. General Altimax RT43 seem to be well regarded and reasonably priced so will definitely be looking into those on the factory 20" wheels.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
Hi all, so I bit the bullet and picked up a 2015 Venza LE V6 in Parisian blue pearl with 41,000km (25k miles) for 20k canadian. 1 owner lease return, no accidents. I have only driven it a bit but it drives very smooth and am quite happy with it this far. I will do a thorough review with pics in the next few weeks. I think it will serve my family well for the next 10 years lol. Plan to run an OEM filter and do oil changes at the dealer until the powertrain warranty ends next May. Kept my 07 Corolla as a 2nd car (has 270k km and runs great). We needed more space and with 2 kids it fit our needs perfectly. Tire prices are stressing me out...will need to get some 18 inch steelies and rubber for winter...any advice on maintenance appreciated. I have no experience with the V6 engine. Anything to look out for pre end of warranty? All advice and suggestions appreciated
smile.gif
Thanks!

Regular maintenance is simple. Oil filter is super cheap, and you really do not need to maintain at dealer (not sure how Canadian laws treat DIY oil changes, in US you are protected). Changing oil is bit dirty. Though you get that plastic funnel, you still end up spilling some. On top of that, after change there is always bit of burning smell.
One thing you should consider since you are in Canada is engine block heater. These 2GR-FE engines are notoriously slow to warm up. I ended up installing block heater although car is in the garage.
At 120k I think is schedule for spark plug change. That is major undertaking bcs of position of an engine. Make sure you change everything possible when that comes, like coil packs, as you do not want to go back and do it again.

I should have an oil cap wrench for you by the time you need one. No charge. Trading in my 2009 V6 Venza for a RAV4. Just a matter of getting a 2019/20 Hybrid in stock with my dealer.

Originally Posted by Danno
I should have an oil cap wrench for you by the time you need one. No charge. Trading in my 2009 V6 Venza for a RAV4. Just a matter of getting a 2019/20 Hybrid in stock with my dealer.

Thank you, very generous
smile.gif

You might be able to go minus 2 on the rim size an go with a taller snowtire. Check with tirerack. I did this on my Honda Fit. Works well other than the dang TPMS.

Nice car! We were looking at those new in 2014 but for some reason ended up with the RAV. Oh yeah, wife liked the RAV better. Recall the front seating felt confined due to the high console and dash design. A Camry wagon sort of.

I have 17" RAV4 OE steel wheels on the Venza, that was all I could get at the time. They look a little under sized frankly. Costco is a good place for steel wheels and winter rubber.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
You can even go down to 17, possibly even 16 inches
smile.gif

17 steel wheels on Sienna for winter. No way 16 due to calipers. Now, not sure on Venza about that.

Originally Posted by edyvw
These 2GR-FE engines are notoriously slow to warm up. I ended up installing block heater although car is in the garage.

False. Unless your thermostat is broken.
At 120k I think is schedule for spark plug change. That is major undertaking bcs of position of an engine. Make sure you change everything possible when that comes, like coil packs, as you do not want to go back and do it again.

False, book time to remove intake manifold is only 1 hour. You wouldn't know because you haven't done it, yet you keep repeating this "advise."

Originally Posted by HangFire
These 2GR-FE engines are notoriously slow to warm up. I ended up installing block heater although car is in the garage.

False. Unless your thermostat is broken.

False, book time to remove intake manifold is only 1 hour. You wouldn't know because you haven't done it, yet you keep repeating this "advise."

1. No, thermostat is not "broken." (they do not brake, they stay in open or closed position). My reference point are European vehicles though. So, yes it is slow compare to them. This is first and last time I own Toyota, so maybe that is normal for Toyota owners (as a lot of things are normal to them).
2. Venza might have better access than Sienna. Still, it is transverse V6. Book time of one hour for intake manifold means additional book time to put it back etc. Considering the way Venza is deigned, it might be better accessible than Sienna. Still, it is job that one does not want to come back to it bcs. something is missed.

Last edited:
I don't have a 3.5 but both my Camry's seem to have heat as soon as I pull out of the driveway. My truck, that does take a couple miles but it sure ain't forever. My old VW though that did take miles and miles to heat up. It'd broil me out of the cabin once hot, but on a cold winter day that might never happen. [A/C though was undersized.]

Personally I'd just dress for the weather. You never know if you are going to have to walk a few miles in case of a problem.

OP: Good luck!

These 2GR-FE engines are notoriously slow to warm up.
I don't think that this is a characteristic of the 2GR-FE 3.5L engine itself edy. I believe that it is a characteristic of the Sienna's heating system, my 2005 Sienna is slow to heat-up and it has the 3MZ-FE 3.3L engine. There is a substantial amount of coolant in the Sienna's heating system, partially due to the rear heater, and it takes time to heat all of it up. My old Camry with the 1MZ-FE 3.0L engine would throw-out heat within a block after a cold start.

Originally Posted by wag123
These 2GR-FE engines are notoriously slow to warm up.
I don't think that this is a characteristic of the 2GR-FE 3.5L engine itself edy. I believe that it is a characteristic of the Sienna's heating system, there is a substantial amount of coolant in the Sienna's heating system due to the rear heater and it takes time to heat it up. My 2005 Sienna is slow to heat-up and it has the 3MZ-FE 3.3L engine. My old Camry with the 1MZ-FE 3.0L engine would throw-out heat within a block after a cold start.

Just had a duh moment: it's a minivan. You're trying to heat up a small house that has a huge amount of windows (IOW poorly insulated) and lots of surface area (thermal mass).

Originally Posted by supton
You're trying to heat up a small house that has a huge amount of windows (IOW poorly insulated) and lots of surface area (thermal mass).
It takes quite a while for heat to actually start coming out on the Sienna. After the heat starts coming out, then it takes some time to warm-up the inside of the van. There is a gallon of coolant in the front and rear heaters and associated plumbing. All of the hardware (heater cores etc) needs to heat-up as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by supton
You're trying to heat up a small house that has a huge amount of windows (IOW poorly insulated) and lots of surface area (thermal mass).
It takes quite a while for heat to actually start coming out on the Sienna. After the heat starts coming out, then it takes some time to warm-up the inside of the van. There is a gallon of coolant in the front and rear heaters and associated plumbing. All of the hardware (heater cores etc) needs to heat-up as well.

The inverse, and not applicable to cold, but I've found ceramic tint on my windows and especially windshield mitigates a TON of greenhouse effect in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back