Biscuits and gravy, as well as Plantains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent some time in Oregon this weekend and had these items added to my breakfast and dinner meals at Whole Foods.
Gotta admit, I never knew the appeal to either of these, but now I REALLY like them!
When added to my regular stream of raw veggies, they are fantastic!
banana2.gif

If anyone has a good biscuit and gravy recipe, I'm all ears!

I used to work down the street from a Truck stop. Biscuits and gravy with sausage were the best thing on the menu.

Biscuits and gravy taste awesome but are very bad for your arteries ...

Fortunately for my heart, good biscuits are surprisingly difficult to make. I'm a pretty good cook, but I can only pull off about a 6 on a scale of 10. My grandmother (God rest her) made 11s.

Unless you or someone you know has The Gift, you're better off searching out a restaurant that has good ones.

First time I ever had heard of biscuits and gravy was when I worked at the Oshkosh EAA Fly-In with Civil Air Patrol in 2000. Everyone kept talking about how that was for breakfast and in my head I was thinking KFC biscuits with gravy like you would have with prime rib and thinking "wow the rest of the country has some weird tastes." Then I got up to the counter and saw biscuits and said I would have those but looked at the gravy and said "nope, sorry, that's not gravy." The Air Guard cook looked at me all weird and asked when I was from and I said "Santa Barbara, California" to which they all said "ahh ok that explains it." I heard that a lot those 2 weeks.

Sausage gravy and biscuits, redeye gravy and biscuits and chipped beef gravy on toast. Been eating this stuff all my life.

Good stuff, in the NAVY it was called Sh%t on a Shingle, chipped beef gravy was the best, those NAVY cooks made the best.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Biscuits and gravy taste awesome but are very bad for your arteries ...

That may not be quite as true as we've been led to believe. Especially if consumed in moderation.

High blood sugar is far more likely to damage arteries and result in atherosclerosis than is a fatty meal. Certainly the biscuits alone can spike blood sugar and the combo, along with salt content can raise blood pressure. Arterial damage causes include high cortisol, stress, high blood pressure and blood sugar.

My wife was raised in the South. She makes KILLER biscuits and gravy. In about two weeks we'll be heading south. I'll get my fill of biscuits and gravy, grits, sweet tea...

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
My wife was raised in the South. She makes KILLER biscuits and gravy. In about two weeks we'll be heading south. I'll get my fill of biscuits and gravy, grits, sweet tea...

grits stands for "girls raised in the south"!
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back