Binocular question - range use

This isn't exactly a "firearm" topic, I know but for the use case, I'll ask here. At the outdoor range recently, we did a few shots at 20 and 40 yards and with my vision, it was mostly a case of "we'll see what we hit once they call a cease-fire", especially at 40 yards (and 20 yards since one person was shooting a .22). Just looking for inexpensive binoculars that could work well here and if they work for other general use, so be it. Amazon has a Bushnell 10 x 50 for just $50. How would they be ? Not going to spend hundreds of dollars and also not looking for a "spotting scope" (yet).

With the expensive binocs you're typically paying for big lenses so they don't get too dark in limited light, a wide field of view, and less distortion around the outer edges. For target spotting, you don't need any of that. Your primary use is in daylight conditions and you are only using the center of the field of view, so I think less expensive ones would be fine. However, you might consider upgrading if you want to use the same binocs for other applications like bird watching or astronomy.

I bought a generic 20 buck monocular on amazon years ago that I use for spotting and general use and it's still good. The fancier binoculars have all the attributes ^^^ said but they aren't necessary imo.

I use a cheap older Kowa spotting scope I found using search tempest (a craigslist aggregator)

You might consider "shoot 'n see" or "splatter" targets
😂 I have to use that type - it's all I buy. Pretty much 100% mandatory for my eyesight. If I use plain paper, unless it's at the 7-1/2 yard stall, I can't see much.

Don't get anything more powerful than 10x50. It gets hard to hold on the target with more power.
I did read something along those lines so I have been looking at 'X x 50' and 'X x 42'.

Just a few things to consider:

At 20 to 40 yards 6x magnification should be sufficient - the higher the magnification the more handshake becomes an issue and making out something small like a bullet hole will be more difficult. Above 10x requires a very steady hand or support.
Roof prisms make for compact binoculars but inexpensive ones are dim due to the low-quality prisms
Porro prisms are preferable but the design is less compact. High-quality prisms are BAK4. BAK7 prisms are medium-quality
You do not want an exit pupil below 3 mm for daylight use and for use in poor lighting, you want as large as you can afford or 7mm. The exit pupil also affects how easy it is to see the full field of view so even with binoculars needed for daylight use the exit pupil has relevance. The exit pupil is calculated by dividing the objective lens diameter by the magnification. For example, 7x50 binocs have a 50/7=7.1mm exit pupil.
You may prefer individual eyepiece focusing over center-focusing with diopter adjustment on one eyepiece.
You may prefer set-and-forget focus binoculars with a deep depth of field
If you want to use the binocs for hunting you may want a rangefinding reticle
You can also get monoculars with rangefinding reticle
A monocular should cost less and can be very compact.

Tasco 8x32 for just under $50 may be worth looking into. Tasco is usually decent. They do weigh 14oz, though.

At 1 ounce, this is the tiniest useful ATN monocular I own. It fits in the pocket watch pocket of jeans. It's actually quite good but went out of production a decade ago. I'm sure similar monoculars are available.

Last edited:
Just a few things to consider:

At 20 to 40 yards 6x magnification should be sufficient - the higher the magnification the more handshake becomes an issue and making out something small like a bullet hole will be more difficult. Above 10x requires a very steady hand or support.
Roof prisms make for compact binoculars but inexpensive ones are dim due to the low-quality prisms
Porro prisms are preferable but the design is less compact. High-quality prisms are BAK4. BAK7 prisms are medium-quality
You do not want an exit pupil below 3 mm for daylight use and for use in poor lighting, you want as large as you can afford or 7mm. The exit pupil also affects how easy it is to see the full field of view so even with binoculars needed for daylight use the exit pupil has relevance. The exit pupil is calculated by dividing the objective lens diameter by the magnification. For example, 7x50 binocs have a 50/7=7.1mm exit pupil.
You may prefer individual eyepiece focusing over center-focusing with diopter adjustment on one eyepiece.
You may prefer set-and-forget focus binoculars with a deep depth of field
If you want to use the binocs for hunting you may want a rangefinding reticle
You can also get monoculars with rangefinding reticle
A monocular should cost less and can be very compact.

Tasco 8x32 for just under $50 may be worth looking into. Tasco is usually decent. They do weigh 14oz, though.

At 1 ounce, this is the tiniest useful ATN monocular I own. It fits in the pocket watch pocket of jeans. It's actually quite good but went out of production a decade ago. I'm sure similar monoculars are available.

1713818213223.jpg

Buying an inexpensive pair, like you noted, just for that purpose is fine. The Bushnell will work well. We are not talking high precision here.......

but

Lets say later, you decide for whatever reason, you want some nicer ones, for more long range observation, then those cheap 50 dollar ones may likely never be used again, and your $300 dollar binos really have cost you $350.

All in all, for shooting I would suggest a spotting scope, like this one: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023781414?pid=366462

it is cheap, and should you not like it, or lose interest, you have not lost a lot.

Got one from Amazon for under $50. I use it at the 50 and 75 yard ranges all the time.
MaxUSee High Definition 20-60x60 Zoom Spotting Scope with Tripod Carry Bag Phone Adapter, BAK4 Prism & FMC Lens Shock-Proof for Target Shooting Hunting Bird Watching Wildlife Scenery https://a.co/d/7XF0W3s

Spotting scopes are nice because you can just set it down on the bench, aim it, focus it, and be done with fussing with it. This convenience is magnified even more at rifle ranges. (See what I did there? 😁)

IMG_6558.jpeg

Not my photo… but this sort of setup is very popular at my range. With a big spotting scope attached.

Last edited:
Ordered the Bushnell that I mentioned initially. They'll serve dual purposes too, i.e. regular binocular usage beyond range aid for my terrible vision !

OP's stated use is shooting at 20 and 40 yards, anything else secondary. An X50 is really unnecessary for shooting but the bit more weight will make them a bit steadier. Also an 8X optic will make your 40 yard target look like it's at 5 yards and a 10X at 4 yards. If you can see shots with a target at 15 feet 8X will be a bit steadier. An 8X42 should be fine but nothing wrong with 10x50.

The good thing about Amazon is you can easily send them back.

To get the left and right sides in good focus first focus the side without the adjustable eyepiece then close that eye and adjust the other eyepiece to match. If you use glasses roll the eye shades forward to get your eyes closer to the eyepiece. I prefer viewing without my glasses. Really study the view you see to make sure the sides are in alignment. Hope you like them.

Back