Bike Chains: Longevity & Quality

My MTB came with SRAM XX1. The original chain lasted about 5 years & thousands of miles through some tough rides, steep hill climbs, deserts, mud, etc. Last year it finally showed some stretch so I replaced it right before a big 5-day stage ride (OTGG, 350 miles and 30,000' of climbing). It's an 11x1 bike and the only compatible chain the LBS had was some generic Shimano. This chain worked fine with the SRAM drivetrain and got me through that ride and lots of other riding since. Yet now, just about 1 year old, it's showing about the same amount of stretch that the original chain took 5 years to show.

That's a big difference. Is it coincidence or are chains really that different? I didn't change my riding style or chain maintenance methods.

I always use SRAM because they have a master link and because I found they last longer. My chains certainly don't last 5 years, but they last a couple thousand miles, which I'm happy with.

An XX1 chain is $85 and lower Shimano is around $30. you get what you pay for. Do you use a wear gauge? I use a Park gauge and replace chains before they reach 50% to save the chairing and cassette. Last bike was 1x12 with Shimano SLX stuff, a $30 chain and it lasted 1700 dusty offroad miles to 50%. The 2nd one lasted about the same.

Wayne, Shimano comes with a masterlink now.

My MTB came with SRAM XX1. The original chain lasted about 5 years & thousands of miles through some tough rides, steep hill climbs, deserts, mud, etc. Last year it finally showed some stretch so I replaced it right before a big 5-day stage ride (OTGG, 350 miles and 30,000' of climbing). It's an 11x1 bike and the only compatible chain the LBS had was some generic Shimano. This chain worked fine with the SRAM drivetrain and got me through that ride and lots of other riding since. Yet now, just about 1 year old, it's showing about the same amount of stretch that the original chain took 5 years to show.

That's a big difference. Is it coincidence or are chains really that different? I didn't change my riding style or chain maintenance methods.

Shimano chains don't last. It's not just you.

An XX1 chain is $85 and lower Shimano is around $30. you get what you pay for. Do you use a wear gauge? I use a Park gauge and replace chains before they reach 50% to save the chairing and cassette. ...
I measure with a ruler and replace when I get 1/16" of stretch over the top span of the chain.

To some extent a replacement chain will never last as long as the original unless you replace chainrings/gears at the same time.
That's good advice, though when you replace the chain before it stretches too much, the chainrings (both front & rear) will last longer. Chains are usually less expensive than chainrings, so replacing the chain more often doesn't necessarily cost more in the long run, may actually save money.
Especially with cassettes like the SRAM XX1 that cost $400 o_O

Chains do have that much variation. I've had better life from Wipperman and KMC. If you don't let the chain get way out of spec, it does save chainrings and cassettes.

yeah, there is a really significant difference, and the XX1 chains are the most durable 11 and 12 speed chains out there--by a pretty wide margin.

When you factor in the cost of 11 and 12 speed cassettes and the potential for premature wear on the cassette with a worn chain, I think it's a bad idea to use anything else. They really got it right. Mostly, SRAM got it right when they purchased Sachs and Sedis. The manufacturing they do in Coimbra is top notch.

You can check out some details here: https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/the-best-bicycle-chain-durability-and-efficiency-tested/

An XX1 chain is $85 and lower Shimano is around $30. you get what you pay for. Do you use a wear gauge? I use a Park gauge and replace chains before they reach 50% to save the chairing and cassette. Last bike was 1x12 with Shimano SLX stuff, a $30 chain and it lasted 1700 dusty offroad miles to 50%. The 2nd one lasted about the same.

Wayne, Shimano comes with a masterlink now.
0.5%, right?

How are the sprockets? The first chain was mated to new sprockets.

IMHO, off road moto chain lube should better than boutique lubes.. they claim non sticky and made for dirt. For example motul off road, 9€ 0.4L..
I'm not into the boutique bull 💩

Back