Best smelling oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess all you folks are too young to remember Castor oil. It was used for racing, not sure exactly why. They made a bean based oil too, but it tended to congeal. The Castor could be smelled all around the race tracks. The bean had an odd odor too.
Dave

quote:

Originally posted by frogeye:
Guess all you folks are too young to remember Castor oil. It was used for racing, not sure exactly why. They made a bean based oil too, but it tended to congeal. The Castor could be smelled all around the race tracks. The bean had an odd odor too.
Dave

mmmmmmmm...Blendzall.......

I have used Quaker State, Pennzoil, and Valvoline oil since 1976, all of them had a sweet odor, not offensive. In 1992 I used some TEXACO oil, it had the worst odor, it was like a sour sulpher flavor, it was so bad, I was afraid to use that brand ever again.
I now use Mobil 1, it doesn't have much of an odor.
I remember changing the oil in some mechanical pumps at work, it smelled like fish, very strong.
I find the oils used in machine shops has a terrible chemical stench.

Just for the record I took a whiff of QS 10W30 last night at Pep Boys....eeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww...smelled like a rotten egg you know what
freak2.gif

All set buying that stuff! Maybe ok for then engine but why subject yourself to that stench?

Goose
patriot.gif

quote:

Dave

still used today. Castrol still make R30 and R40. There was a thread on Castor oil in the race oils forum. Yes it does smell great after it has been through the combustion chamber.

Having used many and varied oils over the years, including many synthetics from Mobil, BP (ok, that one was a GIII), Castrol, etc, NEO 0W-5 leaves them all for dead. I have no idea what they used to blend in it other than di-ester base oils, but the smell was something else again. Can't even describe it, but very sweet smelling.

at my last oil change i noticed that the Havoline full synthetic that i used smelled exactly like the Mobil 7500 that i sued previously.

and boy did it smell good
grin.gif

VP's oil smells really good as does Redlines! Now if we are not talking automotive oil I like a scent called "Red" in oil. It ia very potent perfume(sp)a little bit goes a long way. I also like an oil infussed with oil of Frankencense(sp), Murr,Cinimon and some Rosemarry very potent and pugnent to many people. It is based on recipe for thives oil from the middle ages!Lots of esters in the above oil combo!!

Hey, the best smelling oil ever IMO is Mobil 1 ATF! Now I sniffed it a few years ago and hope they did not change the formula since then.

Quote:

Best I've smelled - Havoline synthetic, GC, & Maxlife synthetic

Worst I've smelled - Pennzoil dino
 -

p.s. I'm bored, too. That's all going to change in a few minutes, because I'm taking the family to the fair. woohoo!!!!

Big 2nd on the Penz. It has the oddest smell of any oil I`ve ever used! I used it in my gf`s old Probe one time,and the smell stays on your hands no matter how many times you wash them. Kinda smells like spoiled lard or something. Very strange smell indeed!

On the better aromas,I`d say Mobil 1 and RP Synchromax. Mobil 1 just has a really clean smell,and Synchromax kind`ve has a clean rubbery smell.

I personally like the ones that smell like rocket fuel. Lets me know that I'm paying for some additives as well as the base oil...

Quote:

shocked.gif

Genius!

You've just discovered the way to get more women to change their oil. They're more into the aromatherapy thing than men. Oil companies can start marketing oil by smell instead of viscosity.

"A 98 Corolla? Hmm, you *could* use Mobil Lavender & Aloe Vera. But Pennzoil Harvest Breeze is on sale this week. I've seen many people using Castrol Apple Cinnamon who've had good results too."

Then start a campaign to "change your potpourri every 3k".

Best post ever!

I had never thought of this before. Last night I changed out the Havoline in the Suburban, just because it was time. After finishing I noticed the smell of the residue on my hands and forearms.... wow! Pretty cool! I think that stuff could qualify as cologne. Eau de Havoline.
approved.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back