Best radiator flushing product and tips and tricks

burbguy82

$100 site donor 2024
I have to take apart a 7.4 Vortec pretty soon. Change the lower intake gasket=pretty big job. Thought about flushing the radiator before changing the gasket and refilling. Any tips or products that you have had any experience with? Thanks.

What year? Later 7.4 had dexcool and if it was never mixed with other coolants, it will be pristine.

If it did get mixed and has sludge in it, then. Flush and flush some more. Maybe do a citric acid flush.

I have to take apart a 7.4 Vortec pretty soon. Change the lower intake gasket=pretty big job. Thought about flushing the radiator before changing the gasket and refilling. Any tips or products that you have had any experience with? Thanks.
Use as directed.
CLR Pro.JPG

Yup citric acid flush gets my vote, I bought I think a 4 pound bag off of Amazon for my 1995 dodge Cummins. The radiator had a ton of deposits and I ended up getting impatient with the process and decided to get a gallon of the 20 or 30% vinegar.

Do not use that, I put it in and drained it in 30 minutes but came back next day with a hole in radiator.

Another one that worked really good was the evaporust thermocure, they stopped carrying it at local auto part stores unfortunately.

Lots of people swear by dishwasher detergent. Never have tried it myself. I usually just do a drain and fill every year or two.
I bet that would be great after a citric acid flush. It would neutralize the acid immediately.

But then I read 'you will never get all the bubbles out'. That Shout gel stain remover looks like some stout stuff.

please tell more

it is a 99, dexcool is there, You think it will be clean after 25years? I did buy some more coolant, 4 gallons of Dexcool,
My 98 S-10 is spotless. I assume yours has the angled radiator neck, but a metal radiator cap?

Diesel giant citric flush is linked above. That’s the process I’ve used.

Try to snap some photos down the radiator neck. Let’s have a look!

GM wants a strong oxalic acid flush followed by washing soda to purge any Dex-Sludge in their early cooling systems.

I used a mix of Cascade Platinum or Kirkland Signature dishwasher pods, then a water rinse, followed by citric acid and as much fresh water rinses as needed until the system was clear. Then I used either green or AMAM coolant depending on who was going to service the truck.

Back