Best options for a good fuel economy pickup truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently drive a high end luxury V8 vehicle that takes super and gets me 26.5 mpg, which is pretty good. I do a lot of highway driving and I'm very easy on the gas pedal. The problem is I've kind of started to realize that I really could use a truck, but I don't want to commute in something that's going to get me anything less than the fuel economy I'm currently getting.

This would be a vehicle I intend on keeping for at least ten years and 300,000 plus miles.

I did a little research on the Ford Eco boost f150 and I'm not impressed with the gas mileage, so I looked into the 5.0 V8...nice but it looks like the best I can do is low 20's with it. Not going to work.

A friend of mine owns the new Silverado and he sometimes gets in the low 20's. I drove it once and just on a 20 mile mixed commute I was able to pull 24 out of it, but who knows? My friend has told me that now that it has turned colder around here that he is only getting himself in the mid teens. So this doesn't look promising.

I looked into the GMC diesel mid size pickup (forget the name of it), nice looking truck, but I just don't trust a four cylinder diesel for long term reliability. It looks like it can get 26 mpg. They also make a direct injected V6 that looks like it can get 25-25mog...I'd be willing to bet I could probably stretch that number to 26, but again...how reliable is the GM direct injected V6?

And then there is the Dodge diesel boost (or whatever they call it). This one had me really really intrigued because they stuff it in their full size pickup and the interiors on those things are beautiful. It is capable of decent power and 26mog fuel economy, but after some research I've found that it has some major issues mechanically. The cam sprockets strip from the camshaft. The top of the engine has to come apart and as of right now there is no factory "cure" for this. And there were lots of other issues as well...leaks, hard cold starts, slow acceleration, poor fit and finish. So that's out.

Maybe there is nothing? Anyone own the V6 GMC/Chevy midsize? Anyone own a new Tacoma? Anyone own the direct injected full size GM pickups and do a lot of highway driving? Anyone get 25mpg plus mileage out of any full size V8 truck with a mostly highway commute?

You'll need a Colorado 4 cylinder to get decent mileage, but you'll lose capability with a small truck. I have a Chevy 4.3, 2WD ext cab Silverado and it gets 19 mpg on the average. I would look at the Ram 1500 with the 3.6 and the 8 speed automatic. Maybe the Ford 3.5 (non-turbo) or Silverado new style 4.3 six.

I haven't heard anything bad about the Colorado diesel yet, but for the price I'd probably buy a lower-optioned Silverado and probably have less trouble from it over that 300,000 miles. Premium never hurt an engine but keep in mind you won't have to run it in any of these trucks like you do in your car. The new Toyota trucks with the new atkinson cycle V6 seem nice. But are you looking for room for a few straw bales and enough umpf to tow a lawn mower trailer, or a pallet of shingles and a 30' camper?

I drove a fleet GMC Canyon Crew Cab with the Duramax Diesel for about a week on mostly Highway runs and I was right at the advertised 28mpg. As I recall this engine has been in production for some time now in other countries & vehicles so most of the gremlins associated with new designs should have been worked out by now. (someone correct me if I am wrong)

7,700 pound tow rating isn't anything to sneeze at either!

If I was in the market for a new truck, this would def be a contender.

Last edited:
My good friend has the 2.7 powered F150. He drives the speed limit exactly and is extremely careful to achieve good mpg. 25mpg seems to be well within the norm for him. On longer trips he gets 27.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
My good friend has the 2.7 powered F150. He drives the speed limit exactly and is extremely careful to achieve good mpg. 25mpg seems to be well within the norm for him. On longer trips he gets 27.

Really? I've never heard of anyone getting that mileage out of their Eco boost. Or is that not the Eco boost?

Just to be more clear, I don't intend to tow anything with the truck, although maybe that will change down the road. And I don't intend to load the thing up with much - although again I may do that once in a while, but nothing big.

I'm just looking for something practical to commute, must be 4 wheel drive. And like any pickup owner I'd throw the occasional stuff in the back. I mountain bike, it'd be nice to be able to toss my bike and gear in the back. It'd be nice to be able to not have every little thing delivered to the house and be able to occasionally pick up the mulch or dishwasher, stove, wash machine, couch ,etc.

That's about it. And the thing has to be reliable. And someone wrote premium fuel - I won't put premium in anything again, so if it repaired premium fuel its a no go.

Thanks...some excellent replies here.

The 2.7 EcoBoost gets better fuel economy than the more common 3.5. My older 3.5(2012) has got low to mid twenties on several trips where I was driving 55-60, at interstate speeds it's more in the neighborhood of 16-18.

Originally Posted By: doublebase
Just to be more clear, I don't intend to tow anything with the truck, although maybe that will change down the road. And I don't intend to load the thing up with much - although again I may do that once in a while, but nothing big.

I'm just looking for something practical to commute, must be 4 wheel drive. And like any pickup owner I'd throw the occasional stuff in the back. I mountain bike, it'd be nice to be able to toss my bike and gear in the back. It'd be nice to be able to not have every little thing delivered to the house and be able to occasionally pick up the mulch or dishwasher, stove, wash machine, couch ,etc.

That's about it. And the thing has to be reliable. And someone wrote premium fuel - I won't put premium in anything again, so if it repaired premium fuel its a no go.

Thanks...some excellent replies here.

I think you should reconsider the Colorado/Canyon diesel. That engine has been in production in other countries for years. It doesn't sound like you need a full-size pickup. It will get you the fuel economy you seek, but with only 180 HP, it won't be fast.

My second suggestion would be a Silverado 1500 with the 4.3L V6. But it won't get the fuel economy you want.

Originally Posted By: doublebase

The Honda Ridgeline is built specifically for you. It's the only vehicle with a pickup bed that's designed first and foremost as a comfortable passenger vehicle. My folks have a 2014 MDX with a similar drivetrain, and they get right at the EPA ratings (20/28 I think). Given what you say about your driving environment and driving style, you'd get at least mid-20s out of a Ridgeline. My commute (60 miles one way when I have to do it) gets me about 22 from my Ridgeline, and it's the older generation. Mid-20s would be easy for me with the current generation.

Your mountain bike will fit into the rear seat area with the seat folded up. Great for taking it with you and being able to keep it secure. Or, Honda makes an accessory that allows you to mount multiple bikes in the bed. This is a great vehicle for people like you and me...we don't haul much (but appreciate having the bed), and prefer driving manners and comfort over towing capability or payload numbers.

I have owned a Colorado diesel pickup since this summer. I am averaging about 30 mpg in 80% highway driving. (Although I have the 2 wheel drive version - not the 4 wheel drive that you want). I have 5,300 miles on it now. There are times that I see 33 to 34 mpg on my daily commute. Range of just under 700 miles. A towing rating of 7,500 pounds is impressive for this size and type truck.

No issues or problems to date. I plan on staying on top of scheduled oil changes or slightly shortening them - so I don't have any concerns that this engine will reach 300,000 miles. I don't know much about the durability of GM 6 speed transmissions, so those of you more informed, can chime in.

I wanted to buy the new Ford Ranger diesel truck (but could not wait). The Ranger diesel may be what you are seeking. Correct me if I am wrong, but it is supposed to have a 6 cylinder, 3.2L diesel, not the 4 cylinder turbo diesel that the Colorado has. Ranger comes in about a year?

Hope this helps.

18/25 for AWD Ridgeline.
20/29 for 4x4 Diesel Colorado/Canyon.

Looks like a 4x4 3.5l 10 speed EB is rated 17/23 which is the same as a 2.7 with 6 speed, 10 speed 2.7 will probably gain 1-2 when/if available.

I think 26.5 (might as well say 27) is a lot to ask out of a 4x4 pickup truck. A diesel is probably your only real chance.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Everytime i need a pickup i hook up my 8X10 trailer.

A wise man. A very wise man rents the trailer.

Sometimes you just have to pay to play.
Take a look at your annual mileage and figure the marginal fuel cost of a pickup versus your current car. It probably won't be a life changing difference.
Personally, if I were buying a new pickup, I'd buy a Ford as old-school and simple as I could. I'd avoid gas turbos, diesels, gazillion speed automatics and DI.
One of the great things about pickup trucks is that they could be driven to heroic mileages with little in the way of repair along the way.
This may not be true with some current mechanical innovations.

I had a rental F150 2wd with the NA 3.5 for a month. Regularly got 24mpg highway at 70 mph. 24 mpg on regular is less expensive than 26.5 mpg on super.

Last edited:
My fathet has a 2009 2wd Toyota Tacoma with the 2.7 4-cyl. I have gotten 28mpg on the highway regularly on that thing. Slow, but good MPG and very reliable. If you find a 4wd version, it would probably get 25-26mpg highway. Just another option. But if I was you - I would DEFINITELY look into the diesel Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon. Test drive it, do some research, but so far looks like a solid reliable truck. Cummins diesel engines are known for their reliability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back