Best oil for 2007 Repsol 1000rr?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

So, in the spirit of the original question, is the Repsol 4T 10W-50 a decent oil to use in this bike in an area like Atlanta where it gets really freakin hot in the summer?

define "decent".
and atlanta isn't even close to hot. until you hit 45 consecutive days over 100+, it's not hot.
if you want hot, move to phoenix. you will do anything to NOT be there in the summer on a bike at 4pm.

If you're changing the oil every 1000 miles, consider Rotella 5w-40 syn. Alot of guys race using Rotella cause thay dump the oil often which gets pretty crazy $ with $10/quart oil. Don't worry about the "5w" part, Rotella is a fairly thick and robust oil.

Drew

IMHO, you're wasting an incredible amount of money. Repsol Racing oil is what, $10 a liter? And you're changing every 1,000 miles?

Even if this magic oil doubled the life of your engine (and it won't), for the extra money you spent you could have bought a couple of spare engines instead.

I know you love your new baby and want to give it nothing but the best, but that just doesn't make practical sense to me.

Quote:

I recall reading that the average motorcycle never even SEES 10K! Almost all the ads for used Harleys around here all have two things in common: mileage is less than 2-3K on 'em and they always include something like "...$19,565 invested, best offer over $16K".

Cheers!

I'll believe that about bike mileage. I had 99k km's on my Yamaha FJ1200 when I sold it, and I have 38K km's on my triumph sprint ST now. My cousin has 150k km's on his '98 Harley that he bought new. My guess is the average R6, R1 and CBR1000RR doesn't get to 10k km's and many of their riders don't live to see 20. I guess I'm a little off topic here!

I have seen it mentioned that Amsoil motorcyle is a good synthetic 10w-40, I've also seen it stated that Redline motorcycle synthetic is also very good.

There are some people on this forum that have done significant amounts of research on this topic backed by UOA's. I believe Sunruh is one of them. Rumor has it he even has his own web-pages on this topic, but I've been unable to them as yet.

I've put 25k miles on my 2001 GSXR-600 without a single thing breaking. That includes at last 30 track days and countless miles in the rain. Nothing has broken although I'm good about regular maintenance. I just keep changing the fluids, filters, tires and brake pads and it keeps going.

Squire, I saw the pics of your bike on gsb, absolutely gorgeous. I have never used the oils you are talking about but use redline 10w40 in my zx10 in summer and winter. Shes got 9k trouble free miles right now. I had a sample done on my last change and at 3k miles it was still in grade.
As far as sportbikes not making it to 10k miles I would have to disagree. These bike are capable of giving you just as many miles as any other bike but unfortunately, due to there power, they get wadded up way before there engine life expectancy is up.

Since you have settled on a 10w40 go for Amsoil or Mobil1 MX4T

But I still think the Amsoil is the better choice.

Contact Pablo here on the boards if you decide to go Amsoil.

Just because Repsol sponsor Honda doesn't mean they make a good oil. I tried this stuff in my R6 with great disappointment. It sheared down from a 50 to a 30 weight in under 1900 miles, was oozing out from my cam cover. I thought I have a faulty gasket. I changed the oil (Repsol again), the oozing stopped. But it did the same thing all over again around the same milage on the 2nd round of Repsol. Never touched it again.

I have couple of friends riding CBR1000RR, the concensus is that this bike likes something thinnish (for once the manual is correct!) for best shifting performance.

They like stuff like Motul 300V 5W40 or Maxima Ultra 5W40. The latter is polyol ester based like Redline, 12.66cst@100degC (borderline 30) with HTHS of 4.05 cP.

http://www.maximausa.com/products/4stroke/maxum4ultra5.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back