Best mpg of the year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hallmark

Driving style is of paramount importance when striving for mpg. In any driving scenario, I average 4+ mpg more than the spouse (averaging 30.7 mpg on a 2010 V6 Fusion vs her 26.4 mpg).

I was the same way with my ex wife and her 2000 Civic. When it was just her driving, the average MPG was always horrible, it would typically only get 22 to 23 MPG (all city type driving and only an 8 mile drive to work) but when I drove it for a full tank under virtually the same conditions, I would get closer to 30 MPG (and I've seen 40 MPG on a pure highway run). She accelerates very quickly and waits until the last second to slow down and slams on the brakes, that's what's killing her average MPG. She doesn't realize she could easily save $20 to $30 a month on gas if she would drive more conservatively.

Lately I've been trying as hard as I can to achieve the best MPG in my Corvette and this week on my commute to work I've managed to get 23.5 MPG. My commute is 75% highway driving but there was also a good bit of stop and go mixed in there as well so I'm pretty happy with that number (in the past I typically got no more than about 21-22 MPG) On a pure highway run when I set the cruise control at 60, I can get 31 MPG out of it, which is 5 MPG higher than what it's rated for.

When I buy a second car at the end of this year, it's going to be something very fuel efficient and I'm very anxious to see how much better MPG I can get out of it than what it's rated for. My current top choice is still an 06 or 07 Civic coupe (with the 5sp auto) and I'm hoping to see 35 MPG in my daily commute and get 45 MPG on a pure highway run.

Wow, all you honda civic drivin' guys make my 30-32 mpg Subaru look weak, lol. I'm happy with what I'm getting, but to get 35-38 mpg, that would be awesome. But, compared to most other Subaru's on fuelly.com, mine is doing very well.

Originally Posted By: subiedriver
Wow, all you honda civic drivin' guys make my 30-32 mpg Subaru look weak, lol. I'm happy with what I'm getting, but to get 35-38 mpg, that would be awesome. But, compared to most other Subaru's on fuelly.com, mine is doing very well.

I have a friend with a Legacy too. Your mileage is excellent, particularly when combined with the added versatility the body type and AWD give you.

As a side note, as this thread amply demonstrates, hypermiling isn't only about what you drive; its much more about how you drive it. The fallacy of assuming its entirely car choice related is up there with assumptions about hypermilers that are often not the case at all.

The fallacy about car choice ignores the fact that, as saving money is a goal, its often more practical for many, and cheaper (for a variety of reasons), to keep a car that they can get 25 mpg out of, then get rid of it for one that gets 40.

Also owning to where they live or the other uses they put it to, the stereotypical FE car may not even be a practical choice at all. So they instead simply strive to employ a few techniques that allow them to achieve the best possible mileage out of the vehicle that meets their needs.

A corresponding fallacy is that an FE car is automatically FE. It isn't. It has a definite edge, but as has already been stated, its more to do with how you drive it than what you drive. Subie is likely getting much better FE out of his Subaru because of how he drives it, than many owners of cars designed to much more FE (at the expense of versatility) get out of their cars because they take the FE for granted, and then drive it using the most fuel wasting habits. Then blame the car or the company making it for putting out bogus FE numbers.

As has also been mentioned, there is something too that is rewarding about hypermiling beyond the tangible cash saved. Many of us make a game out of it and enjoy the game as much as we enjoy driving. The two are not inherently contradictory. My experience, in fact, has been the opposite. I love driving (at least on open congestion free roads) and hypermiling injects an added dimension to it. Its also made me, contrary to the stereotype, a much more courteous and aware driver.

I coast up to red lights, but I don't do it blindly or without taking into account what's behind me (and that goes to the awareness aspect in that I use my mirrors much more than I used to). That element also plays a big role in how I approach a light or a stop sign. And because anticipation is a big element, I don't tailgate and tend to keep a little bit more space between myself and the car ahead than road conditions and speed dictate. Its motivated by the anticipation element in hypermiling, but it translates into an extra bit of safety fudge factor as well.

Hope that clears up some popular misconceptions.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Spyder7

A corresponding fallacy is that an FE car is automatically FE. It isn't. It has a definite edge, but as has already been stated, its more to do with how you drive it than what you drive. Subie is likely getting much better FE out of his Subaru because of how he drives it, than many owners of cars designed to much more FE (at the expense of versatility) get out of their cars because they take the FE for granted, and then drive it using the most fuel wasting habits. Then blame the car or the company making it for putting out bogus FE numbers.

I recently heard someone say that they rented a Toyota Yaris and that the gas mileage was (in their words) "horrible" and I immediately thought that's impossible, they must have been doing something wrong because that car should get really good gas mileage if driven properly. (unless the car they had was badly out of tune but that's pretty unlikely IMO)

Quote:

As has also been mentioned, there is something too that is rewarding about hypermiling beyond the tangible cash saved. Many of us make a game out of it and enjoy the game as much as we enjoy driving. The two are not inherently contradictory. My experience, in fact, has been the opposite. I love driving (at least on open congestion free roads) and hypermiling injects an added dimension to it.

I know it will sound strange coming from a Corvette owner, but I've been enjoying my little "game" lately where I try to squeeze the most MPG out of it during my daily commute. I watch my average MPG display like a hawk and it's fun to try to bring the number higher each day. I know a car like this is meant more for driving fast than getting good MPG, but it's simply not possible to drive this car on public roads in a spirited manner all the time and keep your driver's license intact. So I'm going to the opposite side of the spectrum with it lately!
smile.gif

Quote:

I coast up to red lights, but I don't do it blindly or without taking into account what's behind me (and that goes to the awareness aspect in that I use my mirrors much more than I used to). That element also plays a big role in how I approach a light or a stop sign. And because anticipation is a big element, I don't tailgate and tend to keep a little bit more space between myself and the car ahead than road conditions and speed dictate. Its motivated by the anticipation element in hypermiling, but it translates into an extra bit of safety fudge factor as well.

That's exactly what I've been doing lately too. I've always sort of done that to a certain extent but when you're watching your AVG MPG numbers go up and down it makes you even more aware of your driving habits and coasting a little longer definitely helps a lot! And as a side benefit it will increase the life of my brakes and tires (and tires aren't cheap for this car!)

I also kind of enjoy when there is a little bit of traffic on the highway (or when it's raining or foggy) and I can safely set the cruise to 80 to 90km/h for a little while without being slower than the majority of other cars, as this car will get incredible mileage at those speeds (at a steady 80km/h on a flat road the instant MPG will read in the 35-36 MPG range!)

I've always had a much easier time exceeding the EPA estimates on my 4cyl vehicles than I have in my v8's or v6 vehicles. Not sure why, but for me its been easier to get an increase in my 4cyls. My civic was a no brainier for 34-36mpg without trying. When I really started trying, over 40 was do able. 42 was what I could realistically maintain. I got 45 and 46, but it was too much work. 42 was just driving the posted speed limit and keeping the AC use down to a minimum.

In my 96 auto sentra 1.6l I would routinely get up to 40mpg on highway trips, usually 38 or 39. Old EPA was 37 hwy, revised to 33. A lot of it had to do with the smaller footprint of the 4cyl cars. They had much better aero than the v6 and v8 vehicles which were usually trucks or SUV's.

The terrain I'm dealing with is a limiting factor for me, on my drive home, I've got to climb from 6000 feet up to 9000 feet over the course of 29 miles. The road is up and down, with some sustained 7% uphill grades for 3 or 4 miles. Its pretty tough to get into the mid 30's with that terrain, but I'm keeping my mpg above 30, which I'm happy with.

Those uphill grades are definitely MPG killers! I can see it on my instant MPG readout in my car, even the slightest of inclines shows a dramatic drop in fuel economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back