Best mid size SUV under $25K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace my wife's 2008 Ford Escape with something used for $25K or less.
Opinions ??🤔🤔🤔

No GM offerings please
Thanks

Originally Posted by paoester
2019 Tiguan S with 4Motion AWD, 6 year bumper to bumper warranty, $23,000 new.

Wow you can't do better than that!

No brainer.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
2019 Tiguan S with 4Motion AWD, 6 year bumper to bumper warranty, $23,000 new.

Wow you can't do better than that!

No brainer.

Is that new or used ?

The new Tiguan S with 4 motion can be had for mid $20's but I would consider them a compact SUV.

Originally Posted by sloinker
The new Tiguan S with 4 motion can be had for mid $20's but I would consider them a compact SUV.

Price sounds great
But what options come at that price ?

Base model ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by sloinker

Price sounds great
But what options come at that price ?

Base model ?

Even a base model S VW is reasonably well equipped. What options do you need? You did not mention any in your opening post.

As others mentioned, Tiguan isn't really mid size, but it's certainly no smaller than your current Escape.

Looking for something above a base model as this will replace an 11 year old vehicle that's well equipped and has served us very well . So the replacement will hopefully serve us equally as long or more

Tiguan is a deal, I paid $23k for a new FWD SE. Pano roof, BSM, forward collision, heated seats, nice infotainment system and 6/72 bumper to bumper. I'd call it midsize, it has a fairly long wheel base and as a result rides pretty nice.

2020s only have a 4/50 bumper to bumper.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Tiguan is a deal, I paid $23k for a new FWD SE. Pano roof, BSM, forward collision, heated seats, nice infotainment system and 6/72 bumper to bumper. I'd call it midsize, it has a fairly long wheel base and as a result rides pretty nice.

2020s only have a 4/50 bumper to bumper.

Are the Tiguan's made in the Chattanooga TN plant ?

Still lots of 2019 new Tiguan S AWD 4Motion models on dealer lots before the 2020's get here completely, and 2019 is the last model year for the 6-year bumper-to-bumper warranty thrown in for free.
I paid $23,000 for my new one a couple of months ago. Not many options. I did get the Automatic Safety Braking feature, which stops you automatically if it detects an obstacle in front of you.
It comes with automatic 8-speed tranny (Aisin) and air conditioning, lots of airbags, rear backup camera, you know, etc., all good, no frivolous options for me.
Truecar.com has market averages in your area, and you can just look at market transaction prices withouth giving them any of your personal info.
It uses VW 508 0w-20, very high spec/performance oil, even better than dexos1.

Last edited:
Still lots of 2019 new Tiguan S AWD 4Motion models on dealer lots before the 2020's get here completely, and 2019 is the last model year for the 6-year bumper-to-bumper warranty thrown in for free.
I paid $23,000 for my new one a couple of months ago. Not many options. I did get the Automatic Safety Braking feature, which stops you automatically if it detects an obstacle in front of you.
It comes with automatic 8-speed tranny (Aisin) and air conditioning, lots of airbags, rear backup camera, you know, etc., all good, no frivolous options for me.
Truecar.com has market averages in your area, and you can just look at market transaction prices withouth giving them any of your personal info.
It uses VW 508 0w-20, very high spec/performance oil, even better than dexos1.

Thanks for the info
But to be honest I don't even know where the closest VW dealer is to me
VW's aren't very popular in GA where I live

A new Hyundai Tucson is a great deal. They are AWD, and have a very good 5 year bumper-to-bumper warranty, about the same size as an Escape.
I think the Kia Sportage is similar.
Hyundai has car plants in the south (Alabama).

Some Kia's are made in Georgia.
I don't know where the Ford Escape competitor Kia Sportage is made though.
Sportages and Tucsons sell for around 21 or 22 thousand new, in AWD form if you want that. In GA, you might just want front wheel drive.
Tiguans come in front wheel drive versions of course too.

A new Hyundai Tucson is a great deal. They are AWD, and have a very good 5 year bumper-to-bumper warranty, about the same size as an Escape.
I think the Kia Sportage is similar.
Hyundai has car plants in the south (Alabama).

Oh yeah

The south is loaded with car manufacturers

Kia
Hyundai
Honda
BMW
Mercedes
VW
Nissan

GM and Ford left town years ago ...³ðŸ¤”☹ï¸

I recommend checking with TrueCar.com on anything you plan to buy. That will give you some idea what they sell for.
Window sticker price means almost nothing. I think the new Tucson/Sportages go for close to $20,000 in front wheel drive form for the Georgia climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back