Best Helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are no Snell-approved modulars. Get a helmet that's comfortable on your head and wear it. Your N104 was a good choice, why not just replace it with a new one? Otherwise, Shoei Neotec or a Schuberth C-3 for a modular.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
The helmet that protects the best is the one that fits the best.

Amen!

I was knocked off my bike going 40mph a few months ago. My Shoei RF-1100 did a great job protecting my melon. No head issues at all even though there were some nice deep gouges on the face shield.

And congrats on getting back on the horse after the accident. I decided I could scratch "motorcycle rider" off my bucket list after one full season. Time for a mid-life crisis sports car!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slug_bug
I was knocked off my bike going 40mph a few months ago. My Shoei RF-1100 did a great job protecting my melon. No head issues at all even though there were some nice deep gouges on the face shield.

And congrats on getting back on the horse after the accident. I decided I could scratch "motorcycle rider" off my bucket list after one full season. Time for a mid-life crisis sports car!

I also like the RF-1100 (aside from that stupid lower rear spoiler)
which model did you have? I have "Diabolic Revelation" and the artwork is fantastic

The hologram effect is very subtle and fits in with the overall design just perfect.
5434251079_91652f2e16.jpg

shoei-rf1100-diabolic-tc5-rear.jpg

The art is not as high quality on the newer RF-1200

Bell helmets seem to fit my head shape best but generally need to be one size down from normal.
The helmet that is currently getting the most use is my Shark RSR2 Duhamel but for long trips its going to be either the Vemar eclipse or the Shoei RF-1100. The Bell star is just way too noisy even with ear buds in for any type of longish riding (ventilates the best though)

jKKlqXH.jpg

Hey someone said a while back that if you show their helmet that saved your bacon and provide copy of the accident report that some helmet companies will give you a free replacement if you send it in?

Anyone else heard that?

Wonder if I could get a freebie replacement from Nolan? Another N104, but in silver this time. Hummm.....

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Originally Posted By: Stevie
Just replaced my 5 year old Scorpion with a FG-17. Like Cujet I really like my FG-17, very quiet and comfortable. Very reasonably priced. At the international Cycle Show at the Bell Helmet display you could stick your head in a machine and get your head scanned by laser sensors and have a really custom fit helmet made. I think it was like $1500 to $2K. Had really new protective features too.

Does HJC FG-17 fit long oval? Actually I'm about between intermediate oval and long oval. The Nolan 104 fit good.

I've been fortunate to try a wide range of helmets at speed on a roadracing track. For the track, I prefer the Arai Corsair-X, for the street the Arai Quanum-X. The Arai Signet-X is a more long-oval shape, whereas the Corsair and Quantum are more of an intermediate-oval.

I wore Arai for years. The main reason was that's what my dad wore. I was at a track day and they had different vendors there promoting their goods. Tried on many different brands like AGV, Suomy, Shoei, and Shark to name a few. The one that fit my head the best was a Bell. No movement in any direction and it felt like it was a part of my head instead of "on" my head. I recommend trying many different makes on at the same time to get a feel for what is best for your head.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Not up on motorcycle helmets but the latest in bicycle helmets is construction that mitigates the rotational force when you head hits pavement (or dirt) and the helmet violently rotates. In cycling it's called MIPS, is there similar tech for motorcyclists? Sounds like that was the injury you suffered? There has to be a ton of info available about safe motorcycle helmets online.

The MIPS approach is not available in m/c helmets that I know of, but Bell's "Flex impact liner" system is their approach to the same idea. I've spoken with Snell about those various approaches, and at least one person there seems most interested in the approach whose name I can't recall, but it's basically an exterior covering that relatively easily slips away from the shell.

In all cases, my last conversation with Snell indicated that no one has yet come up with repeatable testing methods to see how well the rotational protection idea works. Too, one wants to make sure that such protection efforts do not compromise straight-on impact protection.

Originally Posted By: geekster
I wore Arai for years. The main reason was that's what my dad wore. I was at a track day and they had different vendors there promoting their goods. Tried on many different brands like AGV, Suomy, Shoei, and Shark to name a few. The one that fit my head the best was a Bell. No movement in any direction and it felt like it was a part of my head instead of "on" my head. I recommend trying many different makes on at the same time to get a feel for what is best for your head.

The soft suede like inner material is very comfortable too. I have sensitive skin and the Bell Star along with the Shark have the nicest feeling interiors. My Vemar has the best foam of any of my lids and the liner is pretty good too. I just really like suede style fabric on my skin.

I also have an old wrecked Arai Corsair Edwards sitting in my closet. I'm not much of a fan of Arai lids tbh. My head is a little bit too round for them. Same with Suomy and AGV racing models.

Originally Posted By: Stevie
Just replaced my 5 year old Scorpion with a FG-17. Like Cujet I really like my FG-17, very quiet and comfortable. Very reasonably priced. At the international Cycle Show at the Bell Helmet display you could stick your head in a machine and get your head scanned by laser sensors and have a really custom fit helmet made. I think it was like $1500 to $2K. Had really new protective features too.

Does HJC FG-17 fit long oval? Actually I'm about between intermediate oval and long oval. The Nolan 104 fit good.

Im between long and intermediate as well. The best fits for me have been the Icon Alliance GT and the AGV line of helmets. I bought a Shoei RF1200 and I had to return it because every time I hit a bump I could feel the top pad bouncing...even in an XS.. I have a 55cm (SM) head. I get this odd feeling in all Shoei helmets. AGV's, Icons, and Arai fit me best.

My winter helmet is the Alliance GT and my summer helmet is the AGV K3. I use these because the fit is the most accurate to my head shape. I like all my helmets ECE rated as I personally feel it is the safest spec. No discredit to DOT and Snell, but ECE is the most up to date and is the spec for moto GP. Of course a proper "snug" fit is the most important thing. I want the pad secure and touching every part of my head and the cheek pads should force you to almost bite your checks when talking.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Not up on motorcycle helmets but the latest in bicycle helmets is construction that mitigates the rotational force when you head hits pavement (or dirt) and the helmet violently rotates. In cycling it's called MIPS, is there similar tech for motorcyclists? Sounds like that was the injury you suffered? There has to be a ton of info available about safe motorcycle helmets online.

The MIPS approach is not available in m/c helmets that I know of, but Bell's "Flex impact liner" system is their approach to the same idea. I've spoken with Snell about those various approaches, and at least one person there seems most interested in the approach whose name I can't recall, but it's basically an exterior covering that relatively easily slips away from the shell.

In all cases, my last conversation with Snell indicated that no one has yet come up with repeatable testing methods to see how well the rotational protection idea works. Too, one wants to make sure that such protection efforts do not compromise straight-on impact protection.

MIPS is available in the Bell Qualifier DLX version. A similar approach is used in the Bell Race and Pro a star helmets as well.

What I do know however, is money is no object this time around. I want to select the helmet that best protects. I don't care the cost.

Helmet ratings for US models (DOT & Snell) are pass fail, and not very useful to find the best protection. Sharp ratings provide what you're looking for: comparative ratings intended to show how well a helmet protects.
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/
The problem is they rate helmets available in the UK. Often the US model of a helmet will be different than the one sold elsewhere. Particularly in the case of a Snell rated helmet. I've read that it's not possible for the same model to pass both Snell and ECE testing. True or not, I've never seen both markings on one lid, and I don't think it's done. If a model is sold in the US as a Snell rated helmet, and you see that helmet on the Sharp listing, the model they tested was mostly likely different.

Choosing from full face lids with a 5-star sharp rating is probably as good a way as there is for choosing the safest helmet.

I'm looking for a new helmet too...my KBC is finally showing it's age. After commuting into the sun morning and evening, I want something with a drop down sunshield now...sick of the sunglasses on and off. Also haven't decided between adventure or standard, I really like a peak for into the sun too, and the bigger face hole for visability and ventilation. LS2 do both with a sunshield. I like the look of various Givi helmets, I've heard they are for round heads, but haven't been able to try one on. I'm not a round head, and my Axo scooter lid is a round fit...not happy, but it's only a 5 minute ride to work.

Originally Posted By: David_g
What I do know however, is money is no object this time around. I want to select the helmet that best protects. I don't care the cost.

Helmet ratings for US models (DOT & Snell) are pass fail, and not very useful to find the best protection. Sharp ratings provide what you're looking for: comparative ratings intended to show how well a helmet protects.
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/
The problem is they rate helmets available in the UK. Often the US model of a helmet will be different than the one sold elsewhere. Particularly in the case of a Snell rated helmet. I've read that it's not possible for the same model to pass both Snell and ECE testing. True or not, I've never seen both markings on one lid, and I don't think it's done. If a model is sold in the US as a Snell rated helmet, and you see that helmet on the Sharp listing, the model they tested was mostly likely different.

Choosing from full face lids with a 5-star sharp rating is probably as good a way as there is for choosing the safest helmet.

I agree. ECE and sharp both test production models and sharp buys them from retailers to test. I wanted a 5 star sharp rated helmet but I settled for a 4 star rated helmet because it fit best.

Op take a look at the link this gentleman attached and save it as an open page on your phone. My next lid will be an AGV GT veloce based on fit and safety ratings.

Last edited:
There are only two full face helmets that fit my ugly head - the HJC and the Shoei, with the HJC being the most comfortable. Was in a head-on in Florida @ 9 yrs back and the HJC sacrificed itself wonderfully (as did my other riding gear).

Bottom line - get the one that fits you best, because that'll be the one you'll wear on any run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back