Best gear oil for a 94 Trans Am

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will have a torsen style posi unit from an 01 camaro in it with 4.10 gears, ARP studed mains, and a bearing pre-load girdle. was using RP but have since figured out RP oil isnt all that good for WOT use. idk how that translates to gear oil though. axle sees, about 400hp going into it, driven pretty hard and driven daily.

Lots of folks like redline. Amsoil has gotten a lot of praise based upon UOA as well.

You might want to check M1 75w-140, though its $$$, but its readily available.

I have a Torsen in a 99 T/A with series 2 axles and the 3.23 gears. According to the differential manufacturers at Zexel - Torsen, any Mineral or Synthetic gear oil (75W-90 preferred) will work. GM friction modifier is not required unless the unit tends to "squeak". I've been using Pennzoil Synthetic with the GM modifier and with 40,000+ miles (20,000 per change out) no problems.

yes, the friction modifier is for the auburn clutch diffs. Torsen doesn't need it. i've run the Redline 75-90NS, Lightweight and Heavyweight Shockproof, dino 75-90. the heavy shockproof is supposed to help the stock torsen transfer more torque for autox, but right now i'm running dino 80W-90 valvoline, there's no difference i can detect lol

Any high quality, synthetic 85W140 will work just fine. I prefer a thicker gear lube for greater shock protection/cushioning of the gears on hard launches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back