Best filter : synthetic oil + turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I think I spent at least 40 hours since last week reading on this site for the best band for the buck oil filter. I thought I had find one, but I read some bad stories about it.

What my setup is :
Dodge Neon SRT-4 with GT35 dual ball bearing turbo, pushing over 450 whp.
I run Valvoline VR1 10w30
I have a big filter kit : I run 2000 Explorer 4.0L filter (wix 51515, FL1A, Bosch 3500...)
I live in Canada, where we often see -20°C in winter
I drive at most 10K km, so roughly max 7-8k miles per year
I do 3 oil changes : 1 in march/april right after the winter, 1 in july/august at the end of summer and 1 in november/december for the winter

I will be ordering from rockauto as soon as I find which oil filter to buy.

I was thinking buying a Bosch 3500, but I read at least 5 stories where the media teared up (pureOne and Bosch).

Best prices I found (in $CAD, prices are + taxes) :
Wix 51515XP 9,50$
Wix 51515 3,14$
Bosch 3500 6$
Mobil 1 M1-301 15,50$
Royal Purple 30-8A 20,50$
Mann ML1004 3,92$
Hastings LF115 5,04$

So, oil filters gurus of this site, which one is best ? What would be ideal filter for me, I think, is Silicone ADBV, coilspring BPV, at least synthetic blend media. Any filter out there that fit this ?

Thank you very much for your help !

I doubt the oil filter choice is not a problem with your frequent oil changes as the oil may be spent before getting dirty due to the state of tune. The car must be fun to drive.

WIX (Napa Gold same), Baldwin (makes Hastings) prolly top the heap. Some good Fram's out there. I'd run over-sized if you can get one that fits, has the same relief valve specs (or higher) and a known good anti-drain-back valve
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
With your prices, Wix is the only answer. That even beats my price on the Wix 51515.

should I go with xp ?

I found out I can't order 51515 because I can't match the shipping with anything else I need.

You could probably get the Ultra for less than the XP. Besides, the XP isn't very efficient ... 50% @ 20 microns. Ultra is 99% @ 20 microns. Regular WIX is 95% @ 20 microns.

no love for Bosch 3500 ?

I don't know if they updated the media to correct the tearing media.

Fram Ultra Synthetic XG8A is 9,40$ and matches my other parts.

I found out I can have wix 51515 for 5.67 or 5.34$ if I buy 12

So now it's either I pay 9,50$ for ultra xg8a or 5,50$ for wix 51515

Any input on that ?

Originally Posted By: GratMaster

What my setup is :
Dodge Neon SRT-4 with GT35 dual ball bearing turbo, pushing over 450 whp.
I run Valvoline VR1 10w30
I have a big filter kit : I run 2000 Explorer 4.0L filter (wix 51515, FL1A, Bosch 3500...)
I live in Canada, where we often see -20°C in winter
I drive at most 10K km, so roughly max 7-8k miles per year
I do 3 oil changes : 1 in march/april right after the winter, 1 in july/august at the end of summer and 1 in november/december for the winter

Based on your setup, and fact that you are changing oil 3 times per year, I would choose the WIX if you plan on changing the filter at ever oil change.

But if you are OK with running an Ultra for 7~8K miles total with 3 oil changes over the year, then I'd go with the Ultra.

should I go with xp ?

I found out I can't order 51515 because I can't match the shipping with anything else I need.

Darn. Well, the XP would work, but given the price on your regular Wix, that's too good to pass up. I like the regular Wix.

As for the Bosch, I like the Bosch, a lot, except for the tearing issues as of late. Given your prices, the regular Wix would be my first choice. The Hastings is another very good option, as is the Fram Ulta. I believe Canadian Tire has them on sale right now, if you prefer that route. After exchange and shipping are factored in, that might be worth considering.

Originally Posted By: Garak
should I go with xp ?

Darn. Well, the XP would work, but given the price on your regular Wix, that's too good to pass up. I like the regular Wix.

As for the Bosch, I like the Bosch, a lot, except for the tearing issues as of late. Given your prices, the regular Wix would be my first choice. The Hastings is another very good option, as is the Fram Ulta. I believe Canadian Tire has them on sale right now, if you prefer that route. After exchange and shipping are factored in, that might be worth considering.

I can either get regular Wix 51515 for around 7$ shipped to my door or buy Fram Ultra XG8A at my local Canadian Tire on special right now (thank you for that) for 13$ taxes included.

What I like about Wix is the bypass valve is located on the bottom and it's above average quality.

Fram seems to be the filter of the month right now. I don't like the smaller inlet holes, the bypass valve location and the below average construction quality.

Also, I don't know if I can run a Fram Ultra for more than 1 OCI (Valvoline recommends 3k miles OCI on VR1) since that car runs rich when boosting (around 11.8 AFR at WOT) and I run water/meth.

Wix 51515 is about 60% the price of Ultra.

Anyway, thank you for your input on that.

Like I already said, if you are changing oil 3 times in one year and you only put 7~8K miles on it total in one year, then running the Ultra for the whole 7~8K should be no problem - still only about half of what it's rated for.

But if you don't like using an oil filter for 2 or 3 OCIs, then get the WIX.

And not all WIX filters have the bypass valve at the base, a few have it in the dome end depending on what model filter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Like I already said, if you are changing oil 3 times in one year and you only put 7~8K miles on it total in one year, then running the Ultra for the whole 7~8K should be no problem - still only about half of what it's rated for.

But if you don't like using an oil filter for 2 or 3 OCIs, then get the WIX.

And not all WIX filters have the bypass valve at the base, a few have it in the dome end depending on what model filter.

Wix 51515 have it on the bottom. At least in open up videos I watched.

I finaly bought a Fram XG8A at 13$ taxes included at my Canadian Tire. I change my oil this week and I will keep on checking it each week.

I read on another forum that people with modified engine recommend this filter. Previous owner used cheap filters so I guess this Fram can't be worse !

Thanks everyone for their input.

I will post updates. I will also buy the tool to open filters so I can see what is going on.

Anyone know where I can get an oil sample checked in Canada ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back