Best 9mm for the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bruce T
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Yeah the CZ75 was probably inspired by the older Hi Power. It seems like the Czechs really took the design, blended it with ideas from the Walther pistols (DA/SA) and the Sig 210/Mas 35 French Service pistol (Slide riding in frame) and then gave it better ergonomics.

What I always hated about the Hi Power was the mag safety, and the horrible trigger most come with out of the box. Browning and his protege had to work around previous patents and it resulted in a trigger that was really heavy and coarse for a SAO gun.

I have no issue when somebody takes a prior design and improves it (as long as they give credit). A good example was when the Israelis turned the AK-47 into the Galil.

Ah, I didn't know Browning had to avoid previous patents in designing the Hi Power. That explains a lot about the trigger, since he was a brilliant designer.

Yep since he sold the rights to the 1911 he had to avoid his own design ironically. Although the Browning/FN barrel locking system is better IMHO than the Colt type swinging link design which is more complicated, expensive, and has more parts to break. Indeed it was the weak link in the 10mm Colt Delta guns.

Last edited:
I like the Glocks and P99s, but I would recommend a 9mm handgun with a steel frame instead of plastic or aluminum. I have seen far to many blown up plastic frames especially Glocks. Glock (9mm) barrels do not fully support the brass and cause the magazines to blow out if the ammo is out of spec or the barrel is dirty: It is more common then you might think. Do a web search for "blown up Glock" or "Glock blows up." You should find plenty of examples. Aluminum frames tend to wear out too fast and become loose. The slide of these guns are usually steel with some burrs left from a dull cutter. These burrs act like a file and shave down the aluminum guide rails on the frame. S&W 9mm semi (can't remember the model) are famous for this.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

I like the Glocks and P99s, but I would recommend a 9mm handgun with a steel frame instead of plastic or aluminum. I have seen far to many blown up plastic frames especially Glocks. Glock (9mm) barrels do not fully support the brass and cause the magazines to blow out if the ammo is out of spec or the barrel is dirty: It is more common then you might think. Do a web search for "blown up Glock" or "Glock blows up." You should find plenty of examples. Aluminum frames tend to wear out too fast and become loose. The slide of these guns are usually steel with some burrs left from a dull cutter. These burrs act like a file and shave down the aluminum guide rails on the frame. S&W 9mm semi (can't remember the model) are famous for this.

LOL omg....serious?? glocks have been proven to be one of the MOST relaible handgun produced. period

Originally Posted By: mikeg5

LOL omg....serious?? glocks have been proven to be one of the MOST relaible handgun produced. period

Ive only heard of that with .40 caliber Glocks and reloads.
I was just reading a torture test of a H&K P30 (polymer) that finally failed with almost 100k rounds through it.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

I was just reading a torture test of a H&K P30 (polymer) that finally failed with almost 100k rounds through it.

yes and thats old school.. as old school as penzoil sludging up motors

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

yes and thats old school.. as old school as penzoil sludging up motors

I admit I dont pay much attention to what is going on with Glocks. I dont really care for them. Not that they are bad guns at all, they just dont fit me.

I don't like them myself. My hand doesn't feel right nor do I like the looks of them (subjective opinion). I'm sure they are fine weapons though.
Try a standard Beretta 92. Balance is great and it may feel right for you.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

Although the above site claims no confirmed 9mm Glock Kabooms, I have personally seen 3 broken Glock 17s caused by faulty ammo. One was from factory ammo that was out of spec. The gun was replaced by the ammo manufacturers, but it still broke and could have damaged the shooter. The other 2 kabooms were from reloads, but again they still broke.

Last edited:

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

Although the above site claims no confirmed 9mm Glock Kabooms, I have personally seen 3 broken Glock 17s caused by faulty ammo. One was from factory ammo that was out of spec. The gun was replaced by the ammo manufacturers, but it still broke and could have damaged the shooter. The other 2 kabooms were from reloads, but again they still broke.

Bad ammo will kill any gun, even the immortal 1911. I have seen many kabooms and it does not matter if the gun has a steel, alloy, or polymer frame. It matters how the ammo fails and the pressure it operates at.

I too suggest you get a Ruger!!! All their products are built to last and for the money I don't beleive anything comes close.

If you want an alternate then consider a Taurus. All these pistols/revolvers are under the factories "lifetime" repair policy. None of my Taurus products have ever had any bad issues.

Durango

Glock G-19 9mm

the new Glock 23 gen IV. will do a better job at controlling recoil and better groupings.

Winchester White Box/Federal/Fiocci/S&B/Magtech practice ammo.

Self defense ammo...Winchester Ranger (same as Winchester PDX-1).

I've got a Walther P99... one thing I was never fond of on the glock was the handle, it just seemed too "blocky" for my taste. The Walther, by contrast, felt like it was made for my hand. Guess I like my guns "curvy"...
lol.gif
Probably won't win a "best buy" award however as it's definitely more than a glock.

Last edited:
True, Walther does provide some excellent ergonomics. They don't look comfortable, but if you pick one up it feels amazing.

I love the P99 AS model, but they are so hard to come by lately since Walther has a lot of contracts to fill from what I hear. Plus they are pricey since they are scarce.

Best polymer pistol I have ever held as far as ergonomics was my Steyr M9

Springfield XD . I bought one sight unseen from a guy and I love it . Accurate and completely reliable with every brand of ammo I've used so far .

Dan Wesson CBOB .45 ACP with Winchester Ranger BOnded..(Winchester PDX1).

No second chances at a first shot!

Originally Posted By: Pete591
Dan Wesson CBOB .45 ACP with Winchester Ranger BOnded..(Winchester PDX1).

No second chances at a first shot!

Yep, excellent 9mm weapon.. Hard to load the ammo into the magazine though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back