Best 20 gauge self defense ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: clarkflower
There is some talk that anything less than #1 buck doesn't reliably penetrate deeply enough to hit vitals...

#4 buck (the smallest buckshot load) penetrates 12-16 inches, which is ideal. One website posted that erroneous information that #1 buck is the smallest that can reach vitals, and the internet has ran with it ever since.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
Unless you live in particularly bad part of town where the criminals are highly desperate (drugs) You wont likely have to deal with that.

Criminals hit the good part of town all the time. Broke folks in the hood dont have anything worth stealing.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
That said, if you hear thump thump smash in the middle of the knight. I would want something that I can wing around close quarters easily (doorways, narrow halls etc) and has minimum kick. Controlled rapid fire is more effective than one cannon blast.

Most experts recommend a long gun for home defense, either a shotgun or carbine. And using the fatal funnels (point the gun at the doorway and wait) to your advantage.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
I am guessing the OP does not have children in the house on the other side of the 5/8" sheetrock interior walls.

ANY appropriate firearm for home defense will easily penetrate several sheet-rock walls. Thats physics. If your firearm cant penetrate a wall, then I would argue it is not an appropriate weapon for self defense.

I would like to hear opinions as to the Federal #2 buck 3 inch Magnum 18 pellet @1100 FPS vs the Rio #1 buck 9 pellet @1347 FPS for home defense use.

I would not use any of those loads for the house. Those loads likely have more recoil that a 12 gauge low recoil round, which slows down follow up shots.

Each shotgun shell stacks pellets differently, due to the inside diameter of the shell. That's why its common to have 9 pellets of 00 buck in 12 gauge, because they stack 3 in a row, times 3 rows perfectly. The 20 gauge stacks number 3 buckshot the best if memory serves me correctly. That's why #3 buck is the most recommended defensive load for 20 gauge. #3 buck also has more than enough penetration, and will likely blast out the back of the bad guy, so a larger #1 or #2 buck is not needed.

If I was in your shoes, I would buy 2 3/4 inch shells, loaded with #3 buck. The 3" magnum loads are overkill, and you likely lose 1 round capacity by loading 3 inch shells instead of 2 3/4 inch shells. The 2 3/4 Federal power shock #3b load is likely the load I would choose.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/844428...ellets-box-of-5
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/636662...ellets-box-of-5
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/175614...ellets-box-of-5

The federal personal defense #4 buck load also looks good.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/958344...ellets-box-of-5

Thanks. I have 2 Federal Premium 2-3/4" Buffered #3 Buckshot left over. Guess I can load them in first

Originally Posted By: ejes

Also, I don't mean to question, but your spread at 17 feet seems awful large. Did you maybe mean 17 yards? At 17 feet, your spread should not be much more than 2-4 inches.

No 17 marked feet same as my hallway. I was very surprised too.
(In a way I was happy as with my thin hall I almost could not miss)

It sounds like the magnums are doing what's commonly called "blowing your pattern" then. All the more reason to step back to a 2 3/4 inch round IMO. Reduced recoil will aid in follow up shots as well.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Here is good video showing #4 buck penetrating 11-15 inches. The 3# buck would obviously penetrate more. No real need for #1 or #2 buck in the 20 gauge.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6cmGHz-4O4

Wow... Though in 20 200 less FPS. I quess the #3 would equal that out?

Luckily, in all my years in FL never had to shot in self defense, practiced plenty, but don't look forwards
to blowing out my ears in a house/ confined space from any blast!

Hmm any suppressors for 20 ga? lol

What about my place? My walls look like cement poured over chicken wire. Each side of my wall is about 1.5 inches thick so a 4 inch wall is about 3 inches of cement like stuff

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
I am guessing the OP does not have children in the house on the other side of the 5/8" sheetrock interior walls.

ANY appropriate firearm for home defense will easily penetrate several sheet-rock walls. Thats physics. If your firearm cant penetrate a wall, then I would argue it is not an appropriate weapon for self defense.

Hey Bubba, I never suggested otherwise.
Would we all agree there is a reason the shotgun is the preferred home defense weapon...because it throws out alot of lead and in a larger pattern than a pistol round? The very reasons a shotgun is an excellent home defense weapon is also the reason it creates an increased risk of hitting loved ones in neighboring rooms.

A 9-mm throws one slug per trigger pull.

The PO is asking about a single trigger pull that throws out between 9-18 pieces of lead...any one of which could be lethal.

No kids in the house and not real worried about walls..but that said I could have bought a 12 if I didn't care at all.
I'm looking for just a tiny bit of overkill if you'll pardon the expression

It's doesn't matter what gauge, stick with either 00 buck, 000 buck, or slug for HD.

At standard room distances, the spread won't be much bigger than the size of a fist with any loading, so you might as well send the good stuff.

Shotguns don't send lead flying every which direction like in the movies.

You're responsible for all the projectiles you throw. A shotgun pattern is smaller than many expect which is why it's important to pattern your shotgun with your ammo at different ranges.

Long guns have the advantage of being easier to shoot and get hits than pistols, plus more hitting power too.

BSW

ATex7239 said:
At the range, target between 15 and 20 feet, my spread from an 18 inch barrel, with both the Rio #1 buck and the Federal 3 inch Mag number #2 buck was volleyball sized.

They don't make either 00 buck or 000 buck in 20 gauge.

[quote=ATex7239,
At the range, target between 15 and 20 feet, my spread from an 18 inch barrel, with both the Rio #1 buck and the Federal 3 inch Mag number #2 buck was volleyball sized.

BTW someone said the oversized (overpowered) loads could be blowing my pattern

Guess I can load them in first

The round you want to shoot last, goes in first.

The round you want to shoot first, goes in last.

I've never been a real fan of switching up ammo. Too easy to get confused and have unexpected results. I do like keeping a couple slugs in a buttcuff or sidesaddle ammo carrier. Makes it easy to pop a slug in if you need to take that precise shot at longer range. Or shoot through a car.

BSW

Originally Posted By: ATex7239
It's doesn't matter what gauge, stick with either 00 buck, 000 buck, or slug for HD.

Oh, it absolutely matters what gauge. You have to look at the inside diameter of the shell to find what size buckshot fits properly. In this case, 00 and 000 DON'T fit properly, hence the reason why no one sells it, and its unavailable.

#3 Buckshot is the standard recommendation for a defensive cartridge in 20 gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back