Best 15w40 dino oil choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using the Power Stroke 15w40 diesel oil in my 2002 Ford F350 7.3 diesel. I know there are other big selling 15w40 diesel oils( Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, Chevron Dello) that many diesel owners use. Walmart sells all the above mentioned. I am interested which of the oil choices offers the best overall quality? What do the other diesel owners choose ?

Thanks
Happy Holidays to All

I believe you'd be hard pressed to find a poor quality 15W-40 HD motor oil. Of the brands you mentioned available at sprawlmart, I believe the Delvac 1300 would be the best bang for your buck. Although, if competitively priced, the Motorcraft oil may be worth sticking to.

I myself use Delvac 1 in my diesel pick-up, more so for cold weather flow, and the extended drain intervals are an added benefit, based on UOA reports. However, I'm seriously considering using Schaeffer's Supreme 15W-40 synthetic blend oil, for a better cost/benefit ratio. Although more difficult to obtain, it's cold flow characteristics are good, it's been proven capable of extended drain intervals, and cost works out to around $3 a quart.

Just my opinion. Happy motoring.

Delo 400 or Delvac Super or MX, absolutely the best when it comes to fleet reports and various UOA, in regular conditions they are as good as synthetics minus the high cost.

I used to prefer the Delvac Additive Package and the Delo 400 Base Stock.

With the addition of Boron and Moly to the new "CI-4 Plus" version of the Delo 400 it is my current choice.
It has not been proven by UOA yet though.

However the "CI-4 Plus" Delvac is not on the shelves yet so we dont know what changes may be made to it.

I should have a 26,100 mi UOA (CAT 3406E) posted soon for Mobil Delvac 1300 CI-4.

In a few more months I should have a UOA posted for Chevron Delo 400 "CI-4 Plus".

Gene

[ December 25, 2004, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

I keep hearing about the superior base stocks of the Delo 400 versus the Delvac 1300. Does not all the majors hav ethe same capabilites to create equal base stocks. And how has the 2 oils been tested to make sure what their base stocks actually are? Just curious.
GregH

In regards to CI-4

Delvac 1300 is around 30% Group I

Delo 400 is all Group II/II+ (with the possible exception of the add pack carrier)

Mobil to put more money in the additive package. Moly and Boron.

Chevron choice to put more in the basestock.

Two different ways to achieve the same result.

"CI-4 Plus" Delo 400 has added the Moly and Boron.

"CI-4 Plus" Delvac 1300 is currently an unknown.

Gene

Motorcraft oil has silicon in it to prevent foaming. Look for an oil that has silicon in it so it equals in that protection.

I read that it's important to keep the foaming down because the oil goes through the injectors in the Ford diesel.

johonny04

Thanks for the tip. I just changed my oil yesterday in my 7.3 Ford Power Stroke 15 qts with the new oil filter.

grin.gif

In 1998 we lost 5 engines in two weeks time with Rotella when did their reformulation then......Now days the only thing I would personally do with that stuff is use it to burn brush.
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Big Red:
johonny04

Thanks for the tip. I just changed my oil yesterday in my 7.3 Ford Power Stroke 15 qts with the new oil filter.

grin.gif

All oils like 1300S, Delo, etc. will resist foaming. The important thing with the PSD is to not "overfill" it.

I do 13 qts.--- run and check. Top up as necessary.

Great web site! So, does anyone know, based on oil analysis data, what is the best 15w40 CI-4+ mineral/dino oil? There is so much information out there (overload;-), I can't tell.

quote:

Originally posted by cafasco:
Great web site! So, does anyone know, based on oil analysis data, what is the best 15w40 CI-4+ mineral/dino oil? There is so much information out there (overload;-), I can't tell.

I have read numerous UOA reports for ford Powerstroke Diesels and hands down the two best dino oils seemed to be Chevron Delo 400 and Motorcraft 15w-40. I have also recieved outstanding UOA's using Chevron in my Cummins N14.

Hammer

I have seen some fantastic readings with Delvac Super, good TBN and low iron count even after 25000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back