Battery Purchase Guidelines

I require a new vehicle battery and would appreciate some advice.

1. How fresh should it be? Avoid batteries older than _____ months?

2. Should I demand the dealer show me the voltage before purchase? What should the voltage be? Best to let the dealer do it, or should I bring my pocket multimeter?

3. What if the dealer tries to put it on the charger while I'm there (e.g. before checking the voltage)? Do dealers regularly charge their stock, or is this considered shady?

4. How do most dealers handle warranty claims? Do they attempt to charge the claimed battery before checking the voltage? What is the minimum voltage for them to deny replacing the battery?

5. What is the recommended break-in procedure? I've read some elaborate procedures that involve charging/discharging, etc., but I just have basic equipment available (2/10/40 amp charger and separate automatic battery maintainer). Should I just install and use? Charge first?

Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Well the fresher the battery the better, some warranties go by the sticker on the battery if you don't have a receipt.

Dealers never have the best price, usually the auto parts stores have better pricing. There are several state of charge charts out there. Basically if the battery is indoors and not hooked up to anything, that's a no load condition and if the temperature is 70 degrees, most charts say 12.7 volts if it's fully charged.

They usually do some kind of load test with a battery tester to determine if the battery is good or not. There's no real break in procedure, but if you're getting a new battery, I'd throw it on the 10 amp charger, more than 10 amps isn't good for it and 2 amps will take longer to fully charge.

As for your old battery, I suppose you took it out of the car and put it on a charger and then had the auto parts store do a free load test on it right to see if it's really bad? If you go by those state of charge charts, if you're below 80% rated capacity, maybe that's a good point to replace it. On the other hand if it was oversized to begin with, maybe a little longer.

Dealer's are usually among the worst places to buy batteries, if your battery dies you want a place where you can get it exchanged 7 days a week not just Monday thru Friday 9-6 when the Dealer service department is open

I shoot for 3 months or less when looking through the batteries in the store.

Easy availability of a warranty replacement is important, so Walmart is worthy of consideration.

Lastly battery manufacturer. East Penn would be my first choice. Around my neck of the woods the batteries at Walmart are mfg by East Penn.

AGM worth considering if you can get one for a decent price at say Walmart.

Thanks everyone. I will purchase the battery at an auto parts "dealer," not a car dealership (unfortunate choice of terminology by me).

Should I demand they show me the voltage before purchasing? Don't buy if older than 3 months and showing less than 12.7 volts?

Also, any thoughts on AC Delco 18-month?

some auto parts stores won't be able to show you the voltage before purchasing...when I've purchased new batteries (from Walmart, Menard's and Costco of late) I take the battery home, install in my vehicle and place that vehicle on my Deltran Battery Tender Plus (there are other types available too) and give it a full exercise to full capacity...then go on my way...

I have changed 5 batteries in the last 3 years now for friends and family using this method and have had good luck with EverStart Maxx from Walmart, Interstate from Costco and A/C Delco from Menard's...I believe 4 of the 5 were JCI or the newer Clarios made batteries and the A/C Delco was made by a battery maker in South Korea...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

Some of the answers depend on what kind of car or truck we are talking about.

Some newer stuff you actually need a scan tool to replace the battery (yes its crazy, i know)

I actually find that dealers can be a good place to buy a battery for instance on a Honda you can get a 100 month battery for about what the parts stores sell a medium line/warranty battery for. This may vary by locale of course, but in the US i would at least check the dealer price before I automatically assumed it wasn't a good deal.

Please provide the group size your vehicle calls for. Year, make, model and engine add flavor to posts.

My Ranger calls for a G59. The PO had installed a G58. This was one case where the increment of one size number equaled a single inch in one dimension, height. The old battery's morning voltage was quite low so I shopped comfortably. Battery shoppers might want to remember it's better to monitor an aging battery so you don't get stranded.

a) Most stores had no G59. A Pep Boys had 4 which were a year old which I declined. A local Walmart had bare shelves and 2 days later they were fully restocked with fresh batteries so I bought there.
b) I was glad to read that there's a chance the added height provides space at the battery's bottom for crumbs to accumulate without shorting the plates.
c) The new battery filling its box completely looks way better.

In my neck of the woods, COSTCO has the best price by far, and they're Interstate batteries. O'Reilly's wanted $169, 2-year warranty and the Costco had the Interstate for $99 with a 3-year warranty. It wasn't a difficult choice. Battery was about 2 months old. Put it on my sons KIA Rio and he immediately left for a day trip (Highway miles) so didn't bother to put it on a charger or anything.

i like Wallys batteries made by East Penn in my area as they are close in Reading Pa, + its said wally buys from the closest mfg as batteries are heavy + costly to ship. flooded batteries are a better value IF you keep + eye on electrolyte level + access is EZE + in very hot climates ALL batteries loose liquid + if you can easily top up a flooded battery is a better choice IMO + fully charging before install is recommended if possible

In my area, Walmart batteries are Clarios (formerly Johnson Controls). I haven’t had a problem with them and they’ll usually be fresh and easily obtainable. The basic ones cost about half of auto parts store battery. I just put one in my Gremlin. If you have a Sam’s Club membership, wait until they do a $20 off their Duracell branded Deka East Penn batteries. They were good about a warranty return when the faulty starter and ignition switch of my ‘77 F250 ruined the last battery. The prices are good and even excellent for Duracell AGM batteries if that’s what you want. Costco/Interstate is another good battery if you’re a member. Without Sam’s $20 off, Interstate will be your next least expensive option that isn’t Walmart. I was a bit disappointed that the Interstate battery in my ‘79 Bronco only lasted three years but I think the alternator is on the edge of bad and I’m sure there’s some power draw in the system.

Reactions: hrv
Please provide the group size your vehicle calls for. Year, make, model and engine add flavor to posts.

My Ranger calls for a G59. The PO had installed a G58. This was one case where the increment of one size number equaled a single inch in one dimension, height. The old battery's morning voltage was quite low so I shopped comfortably. Battery shoppers might want to remember it's better to monitor an aging battery so you don't get stranded.

a) Most stores had no G59. A Pep Boys had 4 which were a year old which I declined. A local Walmart had bare shelves and 2 days later they were fully restocked with fresh batteries so I bought there.
b) I was glad to read that there's a chance the added height provides space at the battery's bottom for crumbs to accumulate without shorting the plates.
c) The new battery filling its box completely looks way better.

I'd love to know when this 59 size started.
I have owned four Rangers. All have taken 58's.
I had to put a battery in mine in March of this year.
Went into Costco. They told me I needed a 59.
However, the guy walks me over to the rack, where there was a quantity of 58's.
He kept insisting that I needed the 59. After a discussion, he admitted that he would buy the 58 if it was his truck.
The difference? Thirty one dollars between the two. Needless to say, I bought the 58.

I buy batteries at four places: Costco, Sams, NAPA, and Wal-Mart (in a pinch.)
Convenience and price are the metrics that I look at.
Basically, there are about four manufacturers that are available in my area.
So in the end, it pretty much comes down to stickers and where I take it should it fail within warranty.

I'd love to know when this 59 size started.
I have owned four Rangers. All have taken 58's.

2L5Z-14300-BA2.jpeg

Shrug 🤷‍♂️

Dealers never have the best price, usually the auto parts stores have better pricing.
That’s fake news. I just put a battery in my mother in laws 16 Escape today. $139 for a 3 year warranty Motorcraft from the local dealership, $179 from O’Reilly for a 2 year Superstart or $189 from Napa for a 3 year AAA battery. Walmart would have been less for a 2 year warranty Everstart at $99 but they were out of stock.

Same with wiper blades around here. If you compare good ones at the parts store to Motorcraft the Ford dealership is cheaper.

The parts stores will price match though so if you just prefer to do your business there they will come down on the price. Personally I prefer East Penn built batteries to the Johnson Controls built Motorcraft.

Oil filters are a more preference based purchase but for $3.87 I can get a Motorcraft at the dealership. A Napa Gold will run me about $7. Some will say the Napa filter is better 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
That’s fake news. I just put a battery in my mother in laws 16 Escape today. $139 for a 3 year warranty Motorcraft from the local dealership, $179 from O’Reilly for a 2 year Superstart or $189 from Napa for a 3 year AAA battery. Walmart would have been less for a 2 year warranty Everstart at $99 but they were out of stock.

Same with wiper blades around here. If you compare good ones at the parts store to Motorcraft the Ford dealership is cheaper.

The parts stores will price match though so if you just prefer to do your business there they will come down on the price. Personally I prefer East Penn built batteries to the Johnson Controls built Motorcraft.

Oil filters are a more preference based purchase but for $3.87 I can get a Motorcraft at the dealership. A Napa Gold will run me about $7. Some will say the Napa filter is better 🤷‍♂️
Usually I get batteries from Autozone or Advance Auto and they usually have coupon codes for further discounts. Walmart still has their 1 year battery in the $59 range. Pepboys also has a decent deal on their Champion batteries, the AGM ones have 48 month warranties which is hard to find these days. Champion is also JCI.

Thanks everyone. I will purchase the battery at an auto parts "dealer," not a car dealership (unfortunate choice of terminology by me).

Should I demand they show me the voltage before purchasing? Don't buy if older than 3 months and showing less than 12.7 volts?

Also, any thoughts on AC Delco 18-month?
It's just a battery, I'm not sure you're in the position of making demands, just requests. Meters aren't that expensive and you can bring your own if you're worried about it. I never checked the voltage before buying a battery. You also have a battery charger, whatever the voltage is, you can just put it on the battery charger first before putting it in the car.

Yeah as for age, I like to get 1 or 2 months as that's about the freshest normally found, once in a while you get lucky and a batch just came in with the current date code.

Back