Battery Charger Testing Results

While I hold less than zero foot in the game, I find this thread fascinating.

While I've never found myself in need of a battery charger/maintainer in my day to day life, I did find myself needing one several years back when I bought my CB900C. I knew I wouldn't be riding it regularly, and that the stock "charging system" was notoriously weak especially when tasked with maintaining a weak battery.

While I now know it was unwise... at the time I bought a Battery Tender JR... providing a mere 750mA @ 12v to the battery. Needless to say, that battery failed. I can't 100% blame the charger, however. I've owned the bike since 2018 and put MAYBE 200 miles on it.

Here is another one that was delivered to me today. On sale at Costco.com for $40 delivered ($10 discount). 5amp, with IP 65 water resistance and quite a few features: AGM, flooded, lithium ion modes, plus desulfation, and a 1 amp mode for ATV and motorcycle batteries. Includes the usual clamps and ring mounts and uses standard SAE connectors. 5 year warranty (6 years if you register it online with the manufacturer) and Costco's generous return policies apply. :) I also picked up the Duracell one off Costco.com in September. It was on sale for $45 delivered. Its a 4 amp unit with IP65 water resistance.

Attachments

• main4.jpg
    main4.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 29
  • main3.jpg
    main3.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 28
  • main2.jpg
    main2.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 24
  • main1.jpg
    main1.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Reactions: Y_K
I own several brands of battery maintainers. One I like is the Granite Digital "Battery Saver". Has anyone tested the charging cycle on these?
I've tested them in terms of using them to charge batteries.

Bought one at a boat show about 6 years ago - it was ok, doesn't make my top 3.

The quality of the housing and included accessories is pretty low.

Last edited:
I've tested them in terms of using them to charge batteries.

Bought one at a boat show about 6 years ago - it was ok, doesn't make my top 3.

The quality of the housing and included accessories is pretty low.
Interesting, I found the housing much thicker and more durable looking than many others I have with rather thin and lightweight housings. And as far as accessories, mine came with the pretty standard SAE connectors with ring mounts, clamps, a cigarette lighter adapter and a 10 foot extension. I notice in their latest versions, the cig adapter and 10 foot extension are now extra cost options. But the construction of the accessories seem no different than what you get from most of the other major manufacturers, such as Battery Tender, Griots Garage, Duracell,

Let me know your top 3 please... I'm always open to suggestions

Here is another one that was delivered to me today. On sale at Costco.com for $40 delivered ($10 discount). 5amp, with IP 65 water resistance and quite a few features: AGM, flooded, lithium ion modes, plus desulfation, and a 1 amp mode for ATV and motorcycle batteries. Includes the usual clamps and ring mounts and uses standard SAE connectors. 5 year warranty (6 years if you register it online with the manufacturer) and Costco's generous return policies apply. :) I also picked up the Duracell one off Costco.com in September. It was on sale for $45 delivered. Its a 4 amp unit with IP65 water resistance.
So after a little testing, I am unimpressed with the maintenance float charge profile for AGM batteries on this TypeS branded battery maintainer from Costco.com. It is around 13.25vt to 13.35vt. I usually see around 13.7 to 13.8 with my Granite Digital or Griots Garage battery tender which seems to be the standard profile for AGM.

I'm going to return this one.

Attachments

• main4.jpg
    main4.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 8
So here is a graph from my bluetooth battery monitor. The flat line is from a Griot's Garage Battery Manager IV (no longer sold) that gives out a float charge on an AGM battery of around 13.7 volts. I disconnected it, and attached a brand new to me, Granite Digital Battery Saver 50 watt maintainer (Gen3), and notice their pulse cycle moves between 13 volts and about 13.3 volts two or three times per hour.

I am not an EE, so what do the experts think of this?

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 31
So here is a graph from my bluetooth battery monitor. The flat line is from a Griot's Garage Battery Manager IV (no longer sold) that gives out a float charge on an AGM battery of around 13.7 volts. I disconnected it, and attached a brand new to me, Granite Digital Battery Saver 50 watt maintainer (Gen3), and notice their pulse cycle moves between 13 volts and about 13.3 volts two or three times per hour.

My first thought with a variation like that is, is some module turning on in the vehicle?

It seems strange that it would let it drop like that and then charge right back. I’d expect it to wait until a lower voltage, 12.8v or 12.6v was breached. This could be a test though. I’ve seen some chargers that let the battery rest to see how fast it drops. This is to help understand parasitic loads and the potential of an internal short. What does the manual say about late stages of the charging profile?

I own several brands of battery maintainers. One I like is the Granite Digital "Battery Saver". Has anyone tested the charging cycle on these?
That isn’t a charger. Those pulse desulfators are more like a turn signal flasher or a camera flash. They are designed to charge from the battery (like a parasite), and then push a higher voltage pulse momentarily into the battery. The theory is that this helps to desulfate. But at the same time the circuit is ineffficient so it’s consuming energy. Frankly I’d avoid these. If a charger like the BatteryMinder has a persistent desulfation mode, then I wouldn’t be worried.

So after a little testing, I am unimpressed with the maintenance float charge profile for AGM batteries on this TypeS branded battery maintainer from Costco.com. It is around 13.25vt to 13.35vt. I usually see around 13.7 to 13.8 with my Granite Digital or Griots Garage battery tender which seems to be the standard profile for AGM.

I'm going to return this one.

There is no one size fits all value, even for all flooded or all AGM batteries. The alloys, pastes, plate designs, amount of excess electrolyte, etc. all come into ply here.

Float is a tricky thing. More tricky than charge. Charge has some nuanced scenarios, like balancing, where it may go up higher, but float is the long term scenario where the designer is trying to balance electrolyte loss, corrosion on plates, gassing, etc.

For float, they key is to be fully charged, but to not do other harm. The reversible potentials are V+ = +1.685 V and V− = −0.356 V, giving an open circuit e.m.f. V = 2.041 V. While there are some other polarization losses that need to be overcome, this really means that if the open circuit voltage is kept above this, 12.24, at room temperature, sulfation should be kept at a minimum. Granted there are other considerations on the voltage threshold for sulfation to begin, including the condition and loss of electrolyte.

Remember that float is supposed to keep the battery at 100% soc. It’s supposed to replace any losses from use or self discharge. And self discharge should be relatively low. And the key is this:

Vt=Voc +/- I*R

So the float voltage should just overcome whatever the IR loss is internal to the battery. Thus the minimum float voltage should be just a tiny bit over the OC (and be temperature compensated) to prevent any reactions from occurring. The other issue is that there are polarization losses just to get electrons to be mobile. Thus the float voltage needs to be a tad higher to ensure that electrons can flow.

But I look at it like this:

A car isn’t a telecon tower UPS, a submarine battery, or anything else that is mission critical. You need to crank and occasionally run a vent fan or something. So you really don’t care that the battery is 100% exactly fully charged. You care that sulfation isn’t thermodynamically favorable from an electrochemistry perspective, and that you’re not contributing to minor gassing and loss of electrolyte (which is damaging in AGM batteries especially), then it’s probably ok. It keeps the electrochemistry in a range where it isn’t feasible to operate, it keeps the battery at roughly 100% SOC, and is safer than going higher. No it won’t give the theoretical max output from the battery, but it should keep it as close to full as possible, and should fend off creation of hard sulfate within reason.

The Granite Digital mentioned in the two posts above are the same unit. It charges, then goes into a float mode that "pulses" in this cycle of around 12.9vt to 13.3vt. It pulses continuously, there is nothing turning on in the car or anything the car is doing. Based on the graph it appears to pulse two to three times per hour. This is their "GEN3" version I recently purchased. Their previous GEN2 version holds at around 13.7vt steady in the float mode. Both units are claimed to use "pulse" circuitry to reduce sulfation. I have never looked at or tested the charging profiles as I only used any of these units to maintain already charged batteries.

Unfortunately Granite Digital does not give any details on their profile for charging and maintaining on their website:

I can't imagine the wacky graphs I'd get from GM's charging system in the truck. 15v on cold mornings is the norm. It will usually settle between 14.3 -13.8 after a while. If the conditions are right it will drop to 13 and below when it's still daylight out.

b5fcfe40-4fa2-461f-b4f8-985fa7d9ef6a_orig.jpeg

So here is the marketing material for Granite Digital. Is this BS or legit process??

BTW, due to the testing done by the OP, I have purchased two Battery Minder chargers.
One is the 2012 AGM model, 2 amp for AGM batteries with temp compensation and pulse charging
The other is the 128CEC2 which is the 2-4-8 amp model with temp compensation and charging modes for lithium, flooded or AGM and a special charging profile for Odyssey AGM batteries.

I appreciate all the great information provided in this thread.

BTW, due to the testing done by the OP, I have purchased two Battery Minder chargers.
One is the 2012 AGM model, 2 amp for AGM batteries with temp compensation and pulse charging
The other is the 128CEC2 which is the 2-4-8 amp model with temp compensation and charging modes for lithium, flooded or AGM and a special charging profile for Odyssey AGM batteries.

I appreciate all the great information provided in this thread.

So my observations with both of the Battery Minders I purchased: when used in the AGM settings, the base line float voltage if temperature compensation is turned off is 13.2 volts (or at 70F with temp comp on). This is contrary to the user manual that states the base line float voltage is 13.6 volts. When you activate the temperature compensation, then that adjusts the voltage higher if cold, or lower if warm. In an upper 40F garage I am seeing between 13.54 and 13.63 volts. If temps drop into the upper 30F I see voltages approaching 13.7 volts.

When using the "Odyssey" setting, the float operation is unchanged.

I called Battery Minder today and spoke with "Wayne". He says what I am seeing is "normal operation". They have changed the algorithm, to a 13.2 volt base line float voltage. It will temperature compensate up or down from this base voltage at 70F or if temp comp is turned off. He says the change was made a year or so ago and was done to reduce incidences of overcharging and damage to batteries. He claims this will still adequately charge and AGM battery, while minimizing the risk of overcharging or losing electrolyte (moisture) whether in a flooded or AGM battery.
The "Odyssey" setting simply takes the battery to a higher voltage during the charging phase, per the Odyssey recommendation. I asked why it doesn't float at a higher voltage per Odyssey's and many AGM manufacturer recommendations, and he again stated that overcharging is a concern and this lower float voltage will avoid that.

In reviewing my older battery chargers compared to my newer ones, I do note that all my older ones float at 13.6 to 13.8 volts and all the newer ones float at 13.2 to 13.3 without temperature compensation.

Comments?

Last edited:
Battery Tender says:
...In most cases, a 12 volt lead-acid battery, at 100% SOC, will have a rest voltage between 12.8 and 13.1 volts. That means an effective float voltage need only be as high as 12.9 to 13.2 volts. However, most Battery Tender® battery chargers have float voltages between 13.3 and 13.5 volts...

The OptiMate 6 and 7 chargers have a float voltage of 13.6V at 68F (20C) with temperature compensation. But the duty cycle is 50% : 30 minutes of float charge followed by 30 minutes of no charge.

Last edited:
I really appreciate this thread. I just ordered a ctek based on the data in this thread. Thank you again @JHZR2

noco test last weekend. I ran down a 1 year old X2Power AGM, pulling about 20AH out of it by head math. I immediately connected my 10A noco with a Dvm. Within 2 minutes it went to float mode. That can’t be right. I pulled out my programmable R/C charger which monitors and captures output and over the next 36 hours dumped about 30AH in, with it operating with a max safe output of 3AH. not an ideal charge rate for the agm, but it gave me measurable data. (The R/C charger really doesn’t do these upper currents well, gets very hot, and has a 12 hour max run time, so it’s not great in this use).

theory. I suspect the NOCO is probably extremely sensitive to any kind of resistance in the circuit. graph data in this thread indicates it is measuring voltage set points. Any resistance in the leads would cause it to complete that phase and move on to the next due to a false high voltage perception. This also presents an issue with any battery that has some age in it, where the internal resistance is higher. I’d be very curious to cut the NOCO open and probe its internal voltage in comparison to clamp voltage, and perhaps install heavier leads on it. Either way, as it is, im simply not impressed.

the low current noco units are probably a better buy for this reason… they wouldn’t overpower their small gauge battery leads like the big 10A unit.

Interesting, I found the housing much thicker and more durable looking than many others I have with rather thin and lightweight housings. And as far as accessories, mine came with the pretty standard SAE connectors with ring mounts, clamps, a cigarette lighter adapter and a 10 foot extension. I notice in their latest versions, the cig adapter and 10 foot extension are now extra cost options. But the construction of the accessories seem no different than what you get from most of the other major manufacturers, such as Battery Tender, Griots Garage, Duracell,

Let me know your top 3 please... I'm always open to suggestions

Sure

I can only speak to comparing it to what I have and it's pretty cheaply made as well as not being IP65 rated (maybe it is now?)

Optimate - most notably the optimate 6. I have over a dozen of these chargers and the 6 is rated from 4-240 AH. This is my goto throw down charger for everything.

CTEK - Ive got three of these currently 2x 7002's and a 2500 and they've been great - the beastly 2500 has a temp sensor located in the positive clamp. They lack the AH range and flexibility of the optimate, but are great within their window.

Delta Volt - these are very industrial chargers Ive used in commercial applications like electric boat chargers.

The battery tender brand has also been pretty good to me.

I have a smattering of Schumacher's, a noco or two, 2 black and decker, and some older analog style craftsman " metal box" chargers.

...Optimate - most notably the optimate 6. I have over a dozen of these chargers and the 6 is rated from 4-240 AH. This is my goto throw down charger for everything....
Have you ever used the 22V @0.4A "turbo save" mode of the Optimate?

Have you ever used the 22V @0.4A "recondition" mode of the Optimate?

Great question -

The units I have are either completely automatic, or have one selection - 14.4 0r 14.7 / 6V or 12V

There is no "recondition mode" button on the units I have.

I've had it go into "save mode" on a battery that was removed from the vehicle - but I did not measure the voltage, simply let it sit.

Every so often I'll get a unit that starts on save mode and switches to charge shortly.

This is me and only a partial of my stuff. I have about 20 batteries to maintain.

Yes ,as you say, reconditioning or save mode is entered automatically, not manually, when the battery voltage is less than 12.4V or less than 50% SOC. If the battery is not connected to the vehicle, "turbo save" is engaged at up to 22V and 0.4A. If the battery is connected to a vehicle, the "pulse save" mode is engaged at 14.4V or 14.7V along with pulsed current. But OptiMate is not clear regarding the 22V mode: is it pulsed voltage or constant voltage? In the manual it only states "voltage may briefly rise as high as 22V to overcome sulphation". I can see 22V being problematic for an AGM battery.

Last edited:
Yes ,as you say, reconditioning or save mode is entered automatically, not manually, when the battery voltage is less than 12.4V. If the battery is not connected to the vehicle, "turbo save" is engaged at 22V and 0.4A. If the battery is connected to a vehicle, the "pulse save" mode is engaged at 14.4V or 14.7V along with pulsed current. But OptiMate is not clear regarding the 22V mode: is it pulsed voltage or constant voltage? In the manual it only states "voltage may briefly rise as high as 22V to overcome sulphation". I can see 22V being problematic for an AGM battery.

Anytime I've ever seen the save light on the charging is at least minimally pulsed.

Where I really notice pulsing is when tiny batteries are connected genset batteries, motorcycle batts.

Another interesting thing to note is that it doesn't spend much time charging a normal sized (40-70AH) car battery at full power (5a) but spends most of its time on 3A. When connected to banks - sure, but a lone battery in reasonable shape - not so much.

Of note - 13 year and 8 month old Odyssey PC2150 TTPL AGM in my truck has been maintained most of its life on an optimate 6.
I only recently moved the CTEK to it when I moved here. Heres the CTEK sitting in the grill of the titan.

Attachments

• IMG_3656.jpeg
    IMG_3656.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 11
Back