Bathroom light bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: dishdude
6 100 watt bulbs in a bathroom?
crazy2.gif

I have 8 60 watt LED equivalents in mine and feel like I'm on the surface of the sun.

I agree. Maybe his wife likes it very bright... ?

I wonder if she uses it as her "makeup mirror"? That would explain it...when my mother wore makeup every day, she insisted one bathroom have a very-bright light at the sink/mirror. (I recall it was four clear 60W bulbs.)

Yes, it's her makeup mirror. The electrician that installed the bulbs in our house liked a lot of light. We had 5x120W ceiling flood lights plus 2x100W pendants in our kitchen. I switched the high hats over to LED a couple years ago. Not quite as bright.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
I'd prefer to change out all 6 bulbs at once. What bulbs do you recommend? My wife likes a lot of light so want to stick with 100w or equivalent. The CFL seem too white and cold to me. The LEDs are so expensive. $12 a bulb?? I don't need a bulb that will outlive me.

You can buy bulbs with different color temperature. Most bulbs come in 2700k and 5000k. So you can get warm or cold depending on what you like.

LEDs are not that expensive. They start at $1.50 each at Walmart. At least the 60W equivalent do.

I'm personally converted to LED, they last longer than CFL and don't use mercury.

its not just about temperature, but cri. even the best led bulbs you you may detect some flicker or look a little sickly since some color spectrum is muted and ar best only around 90.

anyway if its for makeup, and best pleasant appearance, just go to homedepot and pick up new incandescent bulbs. even new incandescent bulbs have some energy savings now as they use a different filament design, but are still filaments burning for perfect cri. it wont be nearly as drastic as led or cfl, but will be 60w equiv., uses 43 watts.

id suggest the to get clear bulbs simce its behind a glass anyway . if you are looking for pure light, dont get the ge reveal, even if recommended for bathroom. They do so by distort the colors with a coating in the glass, but it is not reality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Yes, it's her makeup mirror.

If she wants some bright light for makeup, I'd go with 100W equivalent LEDs in 5000K temp (known as "daylight").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back