Bathroom Exhaust Fan Fiasco

So the fart fan in my master bath has been getting worse lately. The bearings sound like beer cans in a cement mixer. So today I decided enough was enough, and that it was time to change it out.

I pulled the cover and found the usual 33 years of dust, dirt, and crap throughout the unit. I gave the cover to my wife to wash, while I vacuumed everything good, and unplugged and pulled out the old motor and housing.

I went on the Home Depot website and matched it with one they had several of in stock. (It was a Nutone, and they're the most common). So off I go with the old one in hand. They had about 10 of them, and most of the boxes were either open, or else retaped from people tearing them out so they can compare it to their old one.

I found one that was open and matched up, and the other box was unopened. So I bought 2, so I would have an extra one "in stock" for when the one in the other bathroom goes south.

I get home and wouldn't you know it, the motor in the unopened one was practically seized up and wouldn't run. The other one was fine. So I installed it back in the existing housing, plugged it in, and it runs like a banshee.

So back to Home Depot I go with the crappy one to get a replacement. I ended up getting the same girl that rung me out the first time. So I went back and got another, and she pulled it out of the box, and plugged it in. And it ran fine. So now I'm all set for when the other one craps out. (They're both original from the builder).

Moral of story. If it has a plug, find an outlet at the store, and plug it in BEFORE you buy it. I can't complain too loudly, because I got away with just replacing the motor, and not the whole housing. Which requires climbing up in the attic, and is a royal pain.

And now with an extra new one, I don't have to worry about Nutone discontinuing it. Both of these should outlast us. I'll most likely will be worm food by the time that comes.
All this time I thought it was just me…thanks for the rant!

Back