Baseplate holes vs baseplate holes

I’m bumping this old thread for this:
A Fram XG9100 vs an AcDelco PF2232. Is there any reason to think that a Fram Ultra would be restrictive on my 2017 L5P Duramax? The PF2232 and XG9100 have the same number of baseplate holes but the Fram’s are noticeably smaller.

View attachment 53416View attachment 53417View attachment 53418

Why bump a nearly 3-year-old thread just to post some information from a known clickbait troll? Below is a link to the most recent thread he came into on BITOG to try to stir up 💩 again.

Why bump a nearly 3-year-old thread just to post some information from a known clickbait troll? Below is a link to the most recent thread he came into on BITOG to try to stir up 💩 again.

I’m well aware of who he is.... that said, he does have a valid point about the base plate holes on this particular filter. I just installed an XG9100 on my Duramax. There is a bypass valve on the filter mount/cooler so there is no danger of starving my engine for oil. I just wanted to know if the base plate hole size matters?

I just wanted to know if the base plate hole size matters?
Chris142 said:
As long as the baseplate holes have a larger area than the hole in the pipe it won't matter how big they are
ZeeOSix said:
Sure, but the total flow area of the base plate holes would have to be much less (like half or more) than the area of the filter mount inlet hole to the engine. The media typically contributes most to the delta-p across an oil filter.

I’m well aware of who he is.... that said, he does have a valid point about the base plate holes on this particular filter. I just installed an XG9100 on my Duramax. There is a bypass valve on the filter mount/cooler so there is no danger of starving my engine for oil. I just wanted to know if the base plate hole size matters?
Measure the ID of the oil filter mounting stud flow hole, and compare that area to the total base plate hole area. Also ... engines use a positive displacement oil pump, so even it Filter A has a bit less base plate flow area than Filter B, it's not going to cause much increase in PD pump output pressure to force the same volume of oil through it.

Go read this thread where @Ascent Filtration Testing does ISO testing on flow vs pressure drop across the whole oil filter, which takes into account base plate holes.

Back