Bad News for Sport Compact Car Fans - Subaru Kills the STi

I lost interest in the wrx/sti once they got enormous. Whenever I try out modern sports cars I am initially impressed by the "spaceship" vibe but it wears off. I still miss my ratty old 89 Nissan 240sx, E36 BMW, my uncles old club racing built CRX. In many ways the Wrx/Sti time has passed. The WRC rally base they were built on doesnt exist anymore, the GR Yaris weighs 800lbs less than the WRX.

The only new car that catches my interest is the 86/BRZ. Even then it has compromises. I also fully understand I represent a very very small portion of the modern auto market. But prices for "true" sports cars on the used market, even ratty old roller chassis with blown/no drivetrain, are insane. So I know im not alone.
"Enormous"? That's quite a stretch.

The 86 and GR Yaris are really cool cars, for sure. But, with my wife and I having 2 small kids, 2-door sports cars are out of the question for us at this point.

Sure...I've owned several sports cars. I'm not saying the STI wasn't exciting - I'm saying it does not fit into their product portfolio and they sold so few I see it as a money sink. Besides the WRX and STI, Subaru is hardly known as a sports car company. They are both weird oddball vehicles in what is otherwise a bunch of AWD appliances.
They've been known as having some stodgy, utilitarian models, that's true.

But they've also always had some very cool models that were geared towards enthusiasts (Legacy GT/XTs of the past, Outback/Forester XT, WRX, BR-Z).

They were also very involved in rally racing back in the day.

And they've always (until, admittedly, recently, when they've started going more mainstream) been known as being different and standing out from the crowd.

If the WRX/STI is so great OP, why don't you own one?
:unsure:
I had a 2016 WRX that I bought new and kept for 3 years. I sold it to open up some extra funds because I was getting married. I really liked the car.

I may get another WRX, but it would be a current-gen STi, or the new 2022 WRX.

Sad to hear this. I always liked the STI and would have considered one without the wing as a DD. Only thing that held me back was that from what I have read, they are not a car you can expect to run up to 200k miles and beyond without engine work, and I usually like keep my DD cars to at least that mileage.

I think around 300hp is a sweet spot for a DD that's still fun to throw around on the weekends, so no qualms with the output. I don't care about the stereotypes either. I could care less what others think. As long as I enjoy it that's all that matters to me.

I was really hoping they were going to offer an updated engine in the new model with a little more life expectancy. I will however admit I was really put off by the styling of the new model and they way they seemed to "crosstrek" it.
I can't disagree with anything you've said, except that I don't really have a problem with the styling of the new WRX, even the plastic cladding, especially since if I got one, it would be the dark gray, the color that the cladding would stand out the least on.

What is it that gets it trashed in "the community"? just not enough power?
There are a few very vocal critics of the WRX/STi. For every one of them, there are thousands of enthusiasts who really like the car.

Is it perfect? No. But, no car is.

Fact is, where the rubber meets the road, in real tests, both the standard WRX and the STi are both more than competitive with their peers in measurable metrics.

Can’t say I’ve ever owned a mustang or Camaro. I’d say I get personality on a tight crooked road from purer cars like the E30 BMW that I owned for years…

When they first came out a wrx was a neat option to say, an e30 325ix, and probably a lot safer, efficient, obviously newer, etc. The STI back in the early 2000s had compelling performance.

These days not so much. Don’t need a Camaro… probably only need a Camry v6 to outperform in most measures, despite being a rolling sofa.
You'd rather hoon a Camry...we get it.

Pretty sad when a 300hp awd car with a stick that's got to be a blast to drive and can rip around a track in stock form gets compared to a Camry with a na V6 engine and a slush box auto and an appearance package. The STI has a huge aftermarket and a little bit of extra coin and a flash tune and that should handle the need for a few extra hp/tq numbers.
Nah man, it's just sad.

Subaru was letting the STI coast on its legacy. They should have spent the "little extra coin" instead of using the name to capitalize on suckers.

Like I said, it was time for a serious upgrade or death. They chose death.

Last edited:
You'd rather hoon a Camry...we get it.
Perhaps you should attempt to comprehend what was written rather than push misconceptions.

They are both ~$30k, ~3500lb cars, with 272 vs 301hp. Nothing more, nothing less. The WRX is as heavy as a camry, with less HP, for about the same money. Point being that everyday vehicles have upped their game a lot. How is that not true??!?

If you comprehended my posts properly for a fun to drive car, I was talking about E30 BMWs, which were excellent tossable cars for twisty roads and for overall driving experience. And as noted, the ca. 2000 WRX, which gave 218 hp from a 2.0L car with a 6 second 0-60 in a modern package was a cost effective option for a great AWD drivetrain and overall vehicle (note I said E30, not comparing to E46 or later which would have been much more expensive than the WRX price point).

My comparison of a great to drive 1991 325IX vs a 2000 WRX shows that the WRX bests it by nearly 50hp (though the WRX is at least 200-300 lbs heavier), and is a modern, safer package. And the compelling performance of the STi that came along.

Now I see another AWD vehicle with about the same HP as other cars, maybe some different suspension tuning, low MPGs, and I can see why it isnt as compelling to many, and why they removed the STi at least for a bit.

This isnt rocket science except for the bros who think they know it all and are somehow purists because they think that small sporty cars somehow make them superior, or purists, or something else.

Last edited:
Nah man, it's just sad.

Subaru was letting the STI coast on its legacy. They should have spend the "little extra coin" instead of using the name to capitalize on suckers.

Like I said, it was time for a serious upgrade or death. They chose death.
That is sad. I'm the first person to find things like a Camry TRD appearance package ridiculous.

Point about the camry was that some pedestrian sedans are showing high power and performance numbers. Years ago we saw this with vehicles like the Altima V6 MT, all of a sudden having performance numbers that started to look like older muscle cars... everyone knows that cars keep getting more HP, more economy, more safety, more space.

As I noted, a camry is a rolling couch. Not sure why folks need to get their panties in a bunch when comparing specs between cars.

I agree with you completely.

Last edited:
EuOAlQHWQAIIHt8

Perhaps you should attempt to comprehend what was written rather than push misconceptions.

They are both ~$30k, ~3500lb cars, with 272 vs 301hp. Nothing more, nothing less. The WRX is as heavy as a camry, with less HP, for about the same money. Point being that everyday vehicles have upped their game a lot. How is that not true??!?

If you comprehended my posts properly for a fun to drive car, I was talking about E30 BMWs, which were excellent tossable cars for twisty roads and for overall driving experience. And as noted, the ca. 2000 WRX, which gave 218 hp from a 2.0L car with a 6 second 0-60 in a modern package was a cost effective option for a great AWD drivetrain and overall vehicle (note I said E30, not comparing to E46 or later which would have been much more expensive than the WRX price point).

My comparison of a great to drive 1991 325IX vs a 2000 WRX shows that the WRX bests it by nearly 50hp (though the WRX is at least 200-300 lbs heavier), and is a modern, safer package. And the compelling performance of the STi that came along.

Now I see another AWD vehicle with about the same HP as other cars, maybe some different suspension tuning, low MPGs, and I can see why it isnt as compelling to many, and why they removed the STi at least for a bit.

This isnt rocket science except for the bros who think they know it all and are somehow purists because they think that small sporty cars somehow make them superior, or purists, or something else.
Yes, I comprehend. I'll simplify my point. I would rather drive an STI dated as it is over a Camry. The STI will out-handle the Camry. The STI is ~3400 lbs, the Camry is ~3500 so close. The Camry makes 300 hp. The STI shows 310 (where are you getting 272?). I'll take the awd turbo STI any day. Now let me go hang out with my bros wearing my flat-brimmed hat, tighten up my panties, and hit my urinal cake-flavor vape.

I can't disagree with anything you've said, except that I don't really have a problem with the styling of the new WRX, even the plastic cladding, especially since if I got one, it would be the dark gray, the color that the cladding would stand out the least on.
You are probably correct that the dark gray would help blend in the cladding, though I would be concerned it might fade a little over the years making it stand out more. I have honestly yet to see the new model in person though, so perhaps it really isn't as bad as it seems to look in some of the photos I have seen.

I'm hoping based on the rather poor reception of the cladding by some (myself included) that they will offer a color matched option in the coming years.

You are probably correct that the dark gray would help blend in the cladding, though I would be concerned it might fade a little over the years making it stand out a little more. I have honestly yet to see the new model in person though, so perhaps it really isn't as bad as it seems to look in some of the photos I have seen.

I'm hoping based on the rather poor reception of the cladding by some (myself included) that they will offer a color matched option in the coming years.
Subaru doesn't care.

Their most expensive model (loaded Ascent) still has plastic cladding that fades after two years.

Subaru doesn't care.

Their most expensive model (loaded Ascent) still has plastic cladding that fades after two years.
The obsession with cladding is just something else nowadays. My next-door neighbors have a friend that visits that has the new super-duper offroady Outback "Wilderness" trim - it's got max cladding..hahahahaha. The Outback does have surprisingly decent offroad capabilities for what it is and with a set of decent tires but why do need to make it look like that?

I would rather drive an STI dated as it is over a Camry. ... The STI shows 310 (where are you getting 272?). I'll take the awd turbo STI any day.

Im not looking to drive a camry V6 anytime ever with some fallacy of performance... So I generally agree. I was reporting on the numbers of the day, what one can buy...

2022 gets a WRX with 271 or 272 hp... Thats all that is available AFAIK.

If a new STi brings compelling performance, naturally, with EV tech, or whatever else, I welcome it. Unfortunately that isnt what is happening today.

The obsession with cladding is just something else nowadays. My next-door neighbors have a friend that visits that has the new super-duper offroady Outback "Wilderness" trim - it's got max cladding..hahahahaha. The Outback does have surprisingly decent offroad capabilities for what it is and with a set of decent tires but why do need to make it look like that?
Hides all that Subaru rust. You think it's all good until you shut the door and the cladding falls off.

Im not looking to drive a camry V6 anytime ever with some fallacy of performance... So I generally agree. I was reporting on the numbers of the day, what one can buy...

2022 gets a WRX with 271 or 272 hp... Thats all that is available AFAIK.

If a new STi brings compelling performance, naturally, with EV tech, or whatever else, I welcome it. Unfortunately that isnt what is happening today.
Ah WRX, not STI with those power numbers....got it. The WRX competes then with the GTI but gets the nod with awd and the ding for living the cladding lyfe and having an optional CVT.

Back