AWD or 4x4?

AWD vehicles are usually FWD biased and usually use clutch packs to send power to the rear wheels as needed. Advanced systems get torque vectoring and other various lightweight mechanical tricks.

4WD vehicles are usually RWD unless specifically put into 4WD mode. They typically have a hi/low transfer case for faster on road driving and slower off road driving. Advanced systems get limited slip or even locking differentials to gain more traction at slow speeds on slippery/loose surfaces.

AWD is typically sufficient for all road conditions and light rough road conditions. 4WD is heavier duty and can handle any road conditions in 4hi as well as true off roading with its 4lo setting.

Some AWD vehicles actually have center differentials and drive front and rear wheels all the time, like Subaru and Audi Quattro. Others are FWD systems that occasionally drive the rear wheels when the front wheels start to slip, but those can be called AWD or 4WD. The 4WD/AWD on my Pilot is one of those, although it has a button to lock it in 4WD for use in low traction, but only in first or second gear. 4x4 systems on light trucks are usually rear wheel drive and can only be manually engaged, although the 4x4 on my Ram has an option to engage the front wheels momentarily if the rear wheels start to slip, which Ram calls "4WD Auto".

Mercedes, BMW, Dodge Durango, etc. are AWD, but RWD biased. Some have two-speed transfer cases. Generally, more capable than 99% of FWD based AWD (except few).

And some marketed AWD are full time AWD and some are part time AWD. Some marketed 4X4 are actually part time AWD. I had an 06 Escape that clearly said 4x4 (on the trim and on the sticker) that was most of the time FWD and had no on/off manual switch. Best driving rig on ice that I've ever driven, by leaps and bounds.

What I consider to be a 4wd has the capability by the user to somehow manually make it go from 1 drive axle (front or rear)to 2 drive axles (front AND rear), whether it's a push button, a dial switch, locking hubs and a shifter, a shifter w/o locking hubs etc....

AWD for the most part operates without interaction from the driver. They are capable of driving all 4 wheels without “binding” the drivetrain. There are varying degrees of effectiveness with these systems. My Durango for example was always driving all 4 wheels and it could vary the torque split front to rear and side to side. Other systems like say the Challenger/Charger/300 are RWD until certain conditions are met (temp below 40F, windshield wipers+headlights on) then it engages the AWD system.

“Proper” 4x4 required the driver to make a selection, 2 high, 4 auto, 4 high, and 4 low are the usual options depending on the vehicle/options. My truck for example has 2 high, 4 high, and 4 low. If I put it into 4 high or 4 low on dry pavement it will hop and skip and generally not want to turn because it’s forcing the front and rear axles to spin at the same speed and in a turn it starts to bind if the tires aren’t allowed some slip.

Some AWD vehicles actually have center differentials and drive front and rear wheels all the time, like Subaru and Audi Quattro. Others are FWD systems that occasionally drive the rear wheels when the front wheels start to slip, but those can be called AWD or 4WD. The 4WD/AWD on my Pilot is one of those, although it has a button to lock it in 4WD for use in low traction, but only in first or second gear. 4x4 systems on light trucks are usually rear wheel drive and can only be manually engaged, although the 4x4 on my Ram has an option to engage the front wheels momentarily if the rear wheels start to slip, which Ram calls "4WD Auto".
Center differential ! A real good example of that is a large tandem axle truck, that rear axle assembly is always in its 4x4 mode, the differential in them is called an inter axle, it can also be locked for off road use, if it is not unlocked for hard surfaces that will not allow for tire slippage, those inter axles get ruined real quick.

I think manufacturers just make it up as they go along. My Dacia Duster is badged as “4WD” and it’s essentially a FWD car with a transfer box that sends power to the rear wheels when required. They recently facelifted the Dacia Duster and despite being the same four wheel drive system underneath, they’re now badged as 4x4.

Some older jeeps were both AWD and 4x4" at the same time!

And Older GM 3/4 ton trucks with the 203 case. Full time AWD with high and low lock

I think manufacturers just make it up as they go along. My Dacia Duster is badged as “4WD” and it’s essentially a FWD car with a transfer box that sends power to the rear wheels when required. They recently facelifted the Dacia Duster and despite being the same four wheel drive system underneath, they’re now badged as 4x4.
This.

Mercedes, BMW, Dodge Durango, etc. are AWD, but RWD biased. Some have two-speed transfer cases. Generally, more capable than 99% of FWD based AWD (except few).
How about the new ford explorer they appear from the back end to have a rear wheel drive diff set up?

Back