Avoid Sierra Filters

When you look at how dry everything is in flow path it's hard to believe this engine was ever started like this.

defect 1.jpg

defect 2.JPG

Have always seen them around but never bought any of their products … mainly OEM for outboards …

That metal disc fits well to block the engine oil from being pumped in the filter???

I used their filters for years on my inboard V6 & never had a problem but the filters for the GM inboards don’t have bypass valves because the bypass is in the filter mount on the block. I did have trouble with one of their spin on fuel filters because the threads weren’t cut properly.

Sierra makes quality products for pleasure boats. I have bought gears for Mercruiser, exhaust manifold for Mercruiser and many filters.

I would not read too much into one Sierra filter problem.

Boats typically put on last than 50 hours/summer. Most filters are probably fine.
Agree, though in decades of owning boats I never used a Sierra filter. Dont know why other then I guess it was either OEM for me or Fram. If I was going to buy a Sierra I rather just go for the OEM which can usually be found on line at a fair price.
If not it was Walmart Fram for convenience. Granted my current small Chaparral, which maybe our last boat while on this earth I tend to order the VolvoPenta OEM just because.

This boat is used maybe 30 hours of actual running time, not use time, a year if that, though new home this start to summer and location I hope to get out and explore the intra coastal and coastal ocean.

Got to admit that OP photo would freak me out if it was my boat.

always have used WIX or Napa Gold - readily available in almost any town at O'Reilly's or Napa

Back