avg computers or avg cars, which do you like more

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for all your post, being the OP, I now want to modify my question to this

Have avg computers and avg cars surpassed average people or another words, have eclipsed them by a wide margin that it is an exponent or power of ^ 2.

Last edited:
Yes,

There is more computing power in your iPhone than the computers on the Apollo spacecraft. Probably more than was on the Space Shuttle to be honest.

And that's just a battery powered phone people use to take kitty pictures. More powerful than what was state of the art technical wizardry back in 1969 or even 1979.

Things are similar for cars. Many/most cars today have some self-driving ability. Even my run of the mill 2017 Toyota Rav4 knows when it's leaving the lane and too close to the car ahead. It doesn't quite drive, but if on cruise control, it will use radar to keep distance from the car ahead. If the Lane Departure System is on, it will nudge the wheel and give you an audible alert. It sees obstacles and prompts the driver to respond.

A generation ago, that would be S class Benz wizardry. Today it is standard tech on many if not most cars.

You can have all those technical nannies but if you don't use them or worse, can't afford even a Rav4, what real impact or difference does having those techs on even a Rav4 make. I'll give you an even more elementary example, most cars have back up cameras standard but if you don't use them when you hit Reverse, what real impact or good is it. Furthermore, if you don't buy a new car, even a run of a mill Rav4, your point is largely irrelevant an moot. Can't you see how having this great technology in cars and on /computers/phones are negated or cancel themselves out on so many levels when it comes to "the new average bear"? My point here is I see so many of the generation that will outlast you and I settle for below average. For ex, "said gen" can't even afford the run of the mill vehicles you so aptly mentioned. Like I said, if average cars and average computers have gotten so good, I feel it has had an inverse effect on actual average people or progress of people hence why I conclude the average person is quite below average unlike cars and computer technology. yay for us not in said gen, amIright??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HondaRULZ
You can have all those technical nannies but if you don't use them or worse, can't afford even a Rav4, what real impact or difference does having those techs on even a Rav4 make. I'll give you an even more elementary example, most cars have back up cameras standard but if you don't use them when you hit Reverse, what real impact or good is it. Furthermore, if you don't buy a new car, even a run of a mill Rav4, your point is largely irrelevant an moot. Can't you see how having this great technology in cars and on /computers/phones are negated or cancel themselves out on so many levels when it comes to "the new average bear"? My point here is I see so many of the generation that will outlast you and I settle for below average. For ex, "said gen" can't even afford the run of the mill vehicles you so aptly mentioned. Like I said, if average cars and average computers have gotten so good, I feel it has had an inverse effect on actual average people or progress of people hence why I conclude the average person is quite below average unlike cars and computer technology. yay for us not in said gen, amIright??

Couldn't one say the same regarding computers? If you are not charting space travel, but instead, using the great power at your fingertips to watch cat videos or argue over synthetic vs conventional oil?

I mean I think I get your point. It's like saying the automatic transmission or the electric starter or EFI made us worse motorists. Most don't know how their car works these days.

Early adopters have to know more about what is going on under the hood compared to users of a more mature technology.

I doubt this is unique for cars and computers. Think about a washing machine. You had to know more about how the machine worked when you had a gas powered washing machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO38GMQZ68U

Today, you just put clothes in, drop a pod in the machine, press some buttons and it figures out what you have in the drum and begins the cycle.

Much less technical knowledge needed to use a modern washer compared to an old gasoline powered machine.

Used to build computers but now run a middle-of-the-road off-lease i5 desktop I got from ebay for $150. Came with a windows license but I stuck ubuntu on it. The return on investment isn't really there. I can edit HD video just fine and don't see a need for any more computing HP.

That said I like desktops over phones and have a really junky tracfone android.

I like average cars too, but I buy them in below-average shape and bring them back to adequate.

My retirement fund is doing mint though.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Used to build computers but now run a middle-of-the-road off-lease i5 desktop I got from ebay for $150. Came with a windows license but I stuck ubuntu on it. The return on investment isn't really there. I can edit HD video just fine and don't see a need for any more computing HP.

I have to ask: What do you use to edit video on Ubuntu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back