AutoMechanic would not starve in Germany

I'm finally getting around to posting some of the photos from our idyllic trip to Germany in 2018. Of course I took a bunch of photos of our friends, and of the spectacular scenery and architecture and so on, but also enjoy shots of common consumer goods and storefronts and so on, as I feel sometimes they capture the essence of the place.

So, with that, here's a vending machine for @AutoMechanic ...

IMG_6398.JPG

I know that we Canadians allegedly like ketchup potato chips, but I think they're disgusting. They are also the anti-seize compound of junk food - it's impossible not to get red powder all over your hands. So anyway, I was surprised to see that apparently the tasteful German people eat them too.

IMG_6565.JPG

... or how about some Gummi Baren instead?

And to wash it down, how about a nice Sneky drink?

IMG_6593.JPG

when I was in Germany back in the fall I also found something amusing (as an American) in the vending machine in the hotel lobby. I know in Germany the drinking age is 16 for beer but still feels weird lol. And the hotel lobby was completely unmanned in the evenings and overnight, so anyone with 2 euros could go to the lobby and buy beer.

IMG_20211004_025437.jpg

What. Old Dutch ones are awesome.

Whenever my wife and I travel overseas we always see what kind of weird potato chip flavours they have. Usually there are some super weird ones.
Agreed, Old Dutch chips are the best of the major brands, but why ketchup? I can't stand salt & vinegar either. Love the jalapeno ones.

when I was in Germany back in the fall I also found something amusing (as an American) in the vending machine in the hotel lobby. I know in Germany the drinking age is 16 for beer but still feels weird lol. And the hotel lobby was completely unmanned in the evenings and overnight, so anyone with 2 euros could go to the lobby and buy beer.

View attachment 87071
Wow, that's a bit of culture shock! We're not drinkers, so I was likely oblivious.

Agreed, Old Dutch chips are the best of the major brands, but why ketchup? I can't stand salt & vinegar either. Love the jalapeno ones.

I'll eat just about any flavour other than dill pickle... Or some boring ones like salt and pepper.

I tend to like crunchier chips like Ms Vickies, but for less crunchy ones the Old Dutch are great. If you don't like s&v I can see not liking ketchup either as they have a vinegary taste as well.

View attachment 87071
European kids are introduced to alcohol at a much younger age then in the states.
They see it on their dinner table every night.
It's not the forbidden fruit there as it is in puritanical America.

European kids are introduced to alcohol at a much younger age then in the states.
They see it on their dinner table every night.
It's not the forbidden fruit there as it is in puritanical America.
It's been argued that such societies have a lower incidence of alcoholism. There are certainly arguments to be made both ways.

And trains. And Akihabara.
We enjoyed the trains in Germany - I took a photo where the speed displayed on the monitor was 243 kph (c. 150 mph). Apparently Japan takes it to another level.

My sister worked in Japan for a couple of years - she would know the Akihabara district.

I would love to visit there (for the cars rather than the beer).
You should do the BMW factory tour, they had the beer vending machines in the break area. But I went a while ago so don't know if it's still there.

Back