Auto transpot

So I am looking to have a 2015 vehicle with 3K miles worth 45K transported from Colorado to Fl. The car is mint and I was considering using an enclosed trailer vs open due to the length and hours of the trip. Everyone says go with an open trailer but my concern is the weather and road construction on a long trip. Opinions.

I move hundreds of vehicles every year. More than a few are cross country. Open air is perfectly fine. If you need help with it feel free to PM me.

So I am looking to have a 2015 vehicle with 3K miles worth 45K transported from Colorado to Fl. The car is mint and I was considering using an enclosed trailer vs open due to the length and hours of the trip. Everyone says go with an open trailer but my concern is the weather and road construction on a long trip. Opinions.
We shipped vehicles several times from AZ. to FL. If you call one of the low cost shippers they just bid it out to an independent driver. That is A guy with A dually pick-up and A trailer that holds 4 vehicles. You are at their mercy. We heard it all truck broke down bad storm ETC. If you call on of the major shippers the collector car crowd I think you will pay about twice as much but have more accountability and peace of mind.

We shipped vehicles several times from AZ. to FL. If you call one of the low cost shippers they just bid it out to an independent driver. That is A guy with A dually pick-up and A trailer that holds 4 vehicles. You are at their mercy. We heard it all truck broke down bad storm ETC. If you call on of the major shippers the collector car crowd I think you will pay about twice as much but have more accountability and peace of mind.
Who is good?

Who is good?
I subscribe to a transport service called Central Dispatch. Usually I take a very deep dive in the ratings history of whatever hauler is interested in picking up a load. You have to be very careful. For those areas where I already have familiar haulers I pay them a bit more as a thank you for making my life easy.

You would be surprised how many issues can happen with cars and customers who think everyone is out to get them.

Open transport is probably fine. I towed my sand rail last winter from Eugene, OR to Phoenix. Maybe it was all luck but it didn't snow or rain. Just lots of snow on the sides of the roads in the mountains. Didn't throw anything up on it.

807A293D-732A-4B5F-8570-67E15FE30B72.jpeg

It's a late model $45K car, not a $200,000 old classic. What happens if you are out on a drive and it starts to rain unexpectedly? Or is this something that will never come out of the garage?

Open air is fine but........if it is "up top" on a carrier, your vehicle may hit tree branches as the pick up and drop off route changes. No map tells of low hanging branches. Unbeknownst to me upon drop off, my high mounted brake light was cracked and the roof of the truck had telltale branch scrapes leading right to the light. Inspect, inspect, inspect upon delivery. Not sure you can request the vehicle to reside "under" the carrier for it's entire journey. Either way over under sideways the vehicles get moved enroute to add or remove at delivery or pick up.

My other shipping experience was this on my Golf R from Florida, broker made good on the $135 repair. There are some close clearances on hauler trailers.PXL_20220526_180656537.jpgPXL_20220526_180525854.jpg

It's a late model $45K car, not a $200,000 old classic. What happens if you are out on a drive and it starts to rain unexpectedly? Or is this something that will never come out of the garage?
Car is like new and I would like to keep it that way at least until it gets to my home. I already have a 100K classic and this is not an ordinary car which on a open carrier over almost 2000 miles could be subject to anything. Thanks for the input.

My concern is the loader beating on it. I've been at the auction transport lots where I've seen the drivers rev up cold engines and do donuts in the parking lot. Any reason not to drive it yourself?

That's always a risk, I've seen transport guys do that to brand new cars with mileage under 10.

Back