Auto speakers - 4 Ohm ok for stock HU?

I have found speaker manufacturers will call anything below 3, "2" in marketing speak.
Yes true but not for high end quality speakers which are exactly the ohms tested before retail packaging. i.e. Bose(most) , Dynaudio, Blaupunkt (high end ) FOCAL(these are each individually hand made and each tested !!!).... shall I go on? All of these if it say X=ohms that is exactly what the speaker will be if tested.

In car audio you get what you pay for in quality. PERIOD! ;)

Yes true but not for high end quality speakers which are exactly the ohms tested before retail packaging. i.e. Bose(most) , Dynaudio, Blaupunkt (high end ) FOCAL(these are each individually hand made and each tested !!!).... shall I go on? All of these if it say X=ohms that is exactly what the speaker will be if tested.

Why did you link to a Chinese Blaupunkt $23 speaker set?

Well, no.

A good manufacturer will provide you with an impedance plot. A '4 ohm' speaker is not 4 ohms over its response range (IE Resistive load). The impedance will vary according to frequency, so at 50hz, your speaker might well be 4 ohms, but at 100hz it might be 20 ohms.

The 2, 4, 8 ohm ratings that most speakers carry is generally the lowest impedance the amplifier will see in operation and that is usually at or around one specific frequency (or multiple if it is a speaker with multiple drivers).

This is glossing over a ton of loudspeaker variables, but putting a meter on a speaker and getting a number is simply an estimate that will put you in the ballpark. And that is with any speaker, $1 or $1000.

Last edited:
Back