Auto RX and my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking on these forums for a while soaking up as much info as I could, and I have to say it's a fantastic resource, so thanks to everyone.
I had to sign up to post my experience with Auto-RX and share that with anyone like me who might be lurking and reading up on things.
I am a pretty skeptical guy and I'm not always into adding "wonder cures" to my cars as I think it's more of a waste than it actually working, but I have my gullable moments.
That being said, I decided to give my 74 Intl Scout a full tune up and made the questionable choice of using an engine flush (gunk brand). After the flush it had a pretty noticable tick that must have meant something was freed up (my fingers were crossed it was only that) in the lifters.

I added some good oil and while at the auto parts store figured riselone might help a little so I figured why not, if only for my hope that it was not a huge problem.

All this paranoia led me to this website and after reading up on auto-rx, I figured, it couldnt hurt and would be wayyy cheaper than the alternative at this moment.
I emailed Frank at auto-rx and got a reply on how to proceed (not to use with synthetic and riselone)
So I thought "might as well do it right the first time" and if it didnt work, lesson learned.
Added some to my transmission also, based on the claims, why not?
1 oil change, wix filter and bottle of arx later,
the tick was still there for a few miles.
Lesson learned I thought.
Flash forward to 400 miles down the road, tick is basically completely gone, truck feels better than I ever remember it feeling, and the clean cycle isnt even done.
I'm pretty amazed at this stuff and I'm anxious to finish the rinse and hit the cleaning cycle.
I even added a bottle to my gti (2.0t and notoriously oil burning, dirty engine) and even with the "factory accepted engine noise" it seems much much smoother. (of course new mann filter and good quality dino when added)

I have no ties or association with auto-rx, nor any interest in them other than to say my experience and give them praise for having a solid product in my opinion.
Worth every dime, and I'm offically convinced.

I figured

Welcome to Bitog. I had it stop a leak, bragged about it and it shortly came back. I learned a lesson the hard way about counting my chickens before they hatched. I found there were other products that work better for a lot less. Glad it worked for you, and hopefully your issue doesn't come back. As with most additives it can be hit or miss. A-Rx is either loved or hated here like so many other products. JMO

Originally Posted By: danm3275
Thanks demarpaint, I still have my fingers crossed on it, but so far so good.

Good news!

ARX is decent stuff when used on problems it can cure. It cleared up a valve cover gasket seep on the Buick, and made the transmission shift better.

It's good stuff, when used for the right application.

take it for what it is, just my personal experience with it.
All I know is the riselone didn't do anything at all for the tick, and now there isn't any tick whatsoever.

It could be that it worked itself clean and would have done it in it's own time, or maybe the auto-rx is doing what it said it would.

I haven't opened the engine to check (and most likely I wont be if I dont need to), but I will be opening the wix filter when I change it to see if there is anything there.
It's not my daily so it may take some time for another 1k of mileage to rack up.

And trust me if I knew of cheaper stuff that would do the same I would have been writing about something else, lol
I only knew about MMO, Riselone and the regular otc stuff until I found this forum.

I've had positive results with ARX in the three engines I've use it in.
I have never tried MMO, although I am tempted to given those on BITOG who report good results with it.
ARX is an ester, and is thus more likely to free the rings, a very hot area, than is MMO, IMHO, but some report rings being cleaned with MMO.
At the end of the day, it appears that ARX worked for you in your application.
Please report back on what you find through your clean and rise on this old classic.
Is it a 304 cid?

no, i wish it was an 8, it's a 6cyl (the forgotten engine of the scouts, lol)
I will keep you all posted on the progress
smile.gif

I was going to try mmo and in the past I've done a seafoam treatment with minimal results, just lots and lots of smoke

There are products that cost less than half the cost of ARX that will clean the engine safely in a very short time.
I just don't want clean rings i want the varnish out,it sticks not only the rings but lash adjusters/lifters,hydraulic cam chain tensioners,oil control valves for VVT systems etc

Varnish is not just a cosmetic stain in modern engines as some would have us believe,it can hinder the proper operation of critical components.
ARX leaves a lot to be desired at removing varnish.
MMO will clean rings and lash adjusters/lifter quite well for under 5 bucks at any walmart.

A lot of people reported good results adding MMO to the A-Rx rinse. A-Rx company however doesn't recommend doing it.

Originally Posted By: danm3275
Good info! I read a previous post reply that mmo in the rinse phase will help out alot, is that true?

Yes, it is true, many auto-rx forum moderators are using MMO during the Rinse Phase with great results. They just feel that auto-rx by itself is not enough to clean out there engines.

Motor Oil by itself is not going to rinse off the junk inside of your engine, sometimes when cleaning an engine you can benefit from a change in CHEMISTRY.

MMO worked so well during the Rinse Phase of auto-rx that I have decided to use MMO instead of auto-rx.

Quote:
didn't meet your expectations

No not quite,it didn't work as advertised!
Please don't take in upon yourself to police my post. If you don't like what i post then please don't bother reading it.

I'll definitely use mmo on the rinse to try and help out.
No leaks and no other issues as of yet, fingers crossed.
I know that auto-rx is a slow working additive, and because of the age of the truck I wanted to be careful (gunk flush scared the [censored] out of me b/c it was so harsh when i used it)
but after rinse it's getting rotella and possibly a zinc additive every OCI for the old metal of the ih engine.

Originally Posted By: rainman49
Hey Trav, we get it! AR-X didn't meet your expectations. Give it a rest, please.

It did not meet MY expectations either, neither did the attitude of Frank (Arx owner)

Two years later, I DID get positive results with MMO.

My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back