Auto assembly and mfg. logistics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Kanban now refers to lean manufacturing and JIT process.
Originally it referred to delivering materials to the mfg line in a specialized box and "kanban" cards.
Rather than bringing, say 36 pieces of a material, a box was built with 36 (or whatever) compartments.
Workers did not have to count; they just filled the box and delivered it to the line.
When materials were needed on the line, a worker pulled a "kanban" card to signal the need.

If anybody ever gets an opportunity to tour a Toyota manufacturing facility, I highly recommend it. We toured the Camry plant in Kentucky a few years ago and it was very enjoyable and informative. You actually ride on a trolly thing throughout the factory floor.

I've toured the F150 plant in Dearborn. Also cool, but not as up close. All of it is seen from a cat walk and you don't see as much as you did at Toyota. Rolls of steel getting stamped and welded all the way to the guys with the white gloves checking for defects.

First suspected case hits Canada.... Lovely.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
smirk.gif

I assume you're talking about the Corona Virus?

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Kanban now refers to lean manufacturing and JIT process.
Originally it referred to delivering materials to the mfg line in a specialized box and "kanban" cards.
Rather than bringing, say 36 pieces of a material, a box was built with 36 (or whatever) compartments.
Workers did not have to count; they just filled the box and delivered it to the line.
When materials were needed on the line, a worker pulled a "kanban" card to signal the need.

If anybody ever gets an opportunity to tour a Toyota manufacturing facility, I highly recommend it. We toured the Camry plant in Kentucky a few years ago and it was very enjoyable and informative. You actually ride on a trolly thing throughout the factory floor.

I've toured the F150 plant in Dearborn. Also cool, but not as up close. All of it is seen from a cat walk and you don't see as much as you did at Toyota. Rolls of steel getting stamped and welded all the way to the guys with the white gloves checking for defects.

I toured NUMMI twice. Corollas and Geos rolling off the lines like crazy. Toyota Pickups as well.
Tesla gives tours, but only for owners.

I have 3 cars from there: '65 4-4-4 (I have the build sheet), 1993 Toyota 4WD PU (350K miles and still in service) and our Tesla Model 3.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
smirk.gif

I assume you're talking about the Corona Virus?

Not sure how this even ended up in this thread, this is the first time I've looked at it... Something goofy took place there.

Ok GM kid
How did the windows arrive at the plant and how many?
Also how did the motors and trannies show up or were these assembled on site?

Hal I am aware of that sir.
I too am union and I know the rub about pictures in the work place. I have been past the Detroit plant twice and couldn't even figure out if it was even possible to get a tour.

Originally Posted by P10crew
Ok GM kid
How did the windows arrive at the plant and how many?
Also how did the motors and trannies show up or were these assembled on site?

All glass arrives in specialized racks which are picked up buy robots and installed on vehicles. Motors and transmissions come already assembled minus accessories (alternator, compressor, ps pump, belts and harnesses) in rail cars in specialized racks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back