Aussies executed in Bali last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
baltimore needs to hire some of the Indonesian politicians and make them mayor and DA.

There is a Kiwi there for drug smuggling too - he was set up and used as a drug mule...he is stupid and naive, but that is no reason to kill him. He said the 2 Aussie guys helped and looked out for him in jail.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I always have to snicker when Americans complain when one of our
"upstanding citizens" (aka drug smuggler, user, or dealer) arrive in someone else's country and expect to get special treatment when they have the unmitigated gall to commit serious crimes, and drug crimes ARE serious, even in the US many if not most are in fact felonies.
Then they also expect OUR government to intercede and get their sorry [censored] out of a sling that they chose to get into in the first place.

Indonesia don't seem to feel the same way...

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/477...in-saudi-arabia

Quote:

According to a report on CNN, Ahmad was sentenced to death in 2011 after she reportedly admitted to killing her 70-year-old female employer and stealing approximately $10,000, allegedly in self defense.

The same report said the execution was initially scheduled for August 2011 but was postponed five times due to the intervention of the Indonesian government.

But in April 2014, the execution was set aside altogether, after the Indonesian government announced that it would pay the seven million Saudi riyals ($1.8 million) asked for by the family of Ahmad’s employers as blood money.

(probably Australian foreign aid money)

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/17/asia/indonesia-saudi-arabia-executions/

Quote:
In a statement, the Indonesian government said the protection of its citizens abroad was a "priority" and listed the attempts it had made to help Siti, including providing legal aid, writing letters to the Saudi King and "continuous efforts... to ask for forgiveness from the family."

Indonesia said in many cases its efforts had worked. From July 2011 to the end of March this year, it said it had "successfully freed" 238 of its citizens from the death penalty.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/prog...plained/6225848

Originally Posted By: Kool1
The issue is not why is their justice system so strict; the issue is why is our justice system so lenient?

How many innocent people are you willing to kill to sate your bloodlust?

Originally Posted By: 1 FMF
baltimore needs to hire some of the Indonesian politicians and make them mayor and DA.

+1 for the above comment. And yes I do live in Baltimore City.

good point Shannow. they are hypocrites alright.
they wanted a good example made from the foreigners because of the "drug crisis", but reality is they were smuggling the drugs away from the country.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Midnight Express taught me all I needed to know about drugs in foreign countries.

yeah, someone should make a movie about those Bali 9 to warn the new generation of teenagers. teenagers are known to do stupid things.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
good point Shannow. they are hypocrites alright.
they wanted a good example made from the foreigners because of the "drug crisis", but reality is they were smuggling the drugs away from the country.

i researched that some more and turns out the person who sold heroin to Australians, prostitute Cherry Likit Bannakorn was arrested and later released by police and disappeared and thus not a single local drugster was caught and charged. interesting concept of the "was on drugs" by executing low level foreign smugglers, but closing eyes on the rest of the local drug networks. corruption at best.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Kool1
The issue is not why is their justice system so strict; the issue is why is our justice system so lenient?

How many you got???

They knew the risks and disregarded it. Beside, 8kg of heroin is A LOT MORE THAN PERSONAL CONSUMPTION.

I don't feel one bit sorry for them.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

So drug smugglers are universally innocent??

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

i researched that some more and turns out the person who sold heroin to Australians, prostitute Cherry Likit Bannakorn was arrested and later released by police and disappeared and thus not a single local drugster was caught and charged. interesting concept of the "was on drugs" by executing low level foreign smugglers, but closing eyes on the rest of the local drug networks. corruption at best.

I have ZERO tolerance for ANY kind of corruption. That is a disgrace.

Yes, it was a disgrace, but the Indonesian justice system is a known quantity, so you're taking a huge chance if you mess up in those countries. These guys rolled the dice, hoping to make a quick buck, and lost. It's a fairly divisive issue here at the moment - some think they should've had their lives spared; others think they got what they deserved.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Yeah, I know the smugglers knew the law (or maybe they didn't). Doesn't change the fact that the penalty does not fit the crime. By a long shot.

"Oh, we weren't well-versed in the drug laws of this country. Maybe a notice to appear before a magistrate at some date in the future, mate?"

And no, it wasn't "by a long shot." Firing squads normally set up at a fairly close range.

And it wasn't an "Aussies Only" party.

They also executed four Nigerians, one Indonesian, and one Brazilian.

Indonesia also executed a Brazilian and a drug smuggler from the Netherlands last January.

Australia has promptly recalled the ambassador to Indonesia as a protest. Seeing as how Indonesia imports a considerable amount of goods from Aussieland and has long run a major trade deficit with them, the ambassador is expected to be back in Jakarta by the end of June.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Yeah, I know the smugglers knew the law (or maybe they didn't). Doesn't change the fact that the penalty does not fit the crime. By a long shot.

The penalty, under Indonesian law, *does* fit the crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back