ATV that sets alot - OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive got a 2001 Suzuki King Quad 300cc 4x4 ATV. I use it maybe 2 or 3 times a year during the summer for yard work - tops total run time is 1 hour for the year. Then come winter I put a snow blade on it and use it to clear my driveway. How often depends more on mother nature than me.....but probably gets used another 5 to 8 hours.

Its sets alot.....gets used very little. I run Rotella T 15w40 in it.

Im currently changing the oil every 2 years. Im wondering if thats not enough.....or maybe I can run longer.

It sets in unheated garage so Im sure condensation is somewhat a concern.....but when I do start it to plow snow it gets used long enough and warmed up sufficiently to clear up any water.

What say ye?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
The oil is going to be fine -- no worries there. Focus on keeping that fuel fresh and the Mikuni clean.

Completely agree about the oil. Get you some blue Stabil or something similar and you will most likely save yourself lots of trouble down the road. Im moving to all non ethanol fuel for all outdoor equipment as well to try to prevent carb issues.

I have the same atv, but probably have 1000 hours on it. The only thing I'd worry about is gas getting into oil. Watch your oil level sight glass to make sure the level isn't going up. Mine sat for a few months and the oil smelled like gas, so I've changed the and run the atv more and it hasn't happened again.

I run only premium in this kind of stuff because it sets alot....no ethanol. I'm religious about turning off the petcock. I will check for fuel though. Thanks

I would change oil every year, and the filter every two years.
Keeping the fuel stable is the most important thing to do.

Richard

Sounds like 2 years is plenty..I'd stay on your program except add 640/1 TCW-3 to fuel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back