ATP AT-205 Re-Seal for possible Rear Main leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a little Nissan NX1600, very high mileage at about 215,000 miles and it has a transmission fluid leak from somewhere, looks a lot like a Rear Main. Somewhere from right where the engine meets the transmission when I crawled up under it to look while it was running. This is a spiffy little car, small and cute as well as oddball and rare, but I do not want to put any more money into it.

Of all the stop-leak products that seem to be sensational and overlap in claims with no proven track record (Bar's Leaks) I have heard good things about the AT-205 and it appears to be a plasterizer type of repair. Will using one bottle, possibly two, stand a chance of sealing up the leak at whatever point it is in there? The car presently runs fine, but eventually loses enough fluid to where the car does not shift right and then runs fine again when fluid is added. It is an around-town car, if there is any hope for sealing it up without spending money on such an otherwise ok car.

http://atpautomotive.com/featured/re-seal

I've read only positive things about it.

Sweet car by the way! I'd forgotten about those. I just read this on Wiki:

The NX2000, with its light weight, stiff chassis, and limited-slip differential, was considered one of the best-handling front-wheel-drive cars of the time. In 1992, Road & Track magazine included the NX2000 in a test of the world's best handling cars against such competition as the Acura NSX, Porsche 911, Nissan 300ZX, Mazda Miata, and Lotus Elan.

ATP AT-205 is great stuff. It certainly won't hurt anything and is one of the better additives out there
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
ATP AT-205 is great stuff. It certainly won't hurt anything and is one of the better additives out there
smile.gif

Think it would be safe in a limited slip truck rearend with a pinion seal leak. Or might it F up the friction modifiers/ overall friction balance?

It helped me with my high mileage Nissan that smelled like burning oil when I accelerated, but I added it at the same time as motor oil saver so not sure which did the trick

Well. My leak appears to have gotten larger. Enough fluid ran out of the leak that the car stopped moving from a light. Adding approximately a quart out of a gallon jug allowed it to move, where I shut it off.

I like this car, but if nothing short of pulling the engine to replace the RMS (which it appears to be) will fix it, then. I do not know?

Originally Posted By: hazmatuser
Well. My leak appears to have gotten larger. Enough fluid ran out of the leak that the car stopped moving from a light. Adding approximately a quart out of a gallon jug allowed it to move, where I shut it off.

I like this car, but if nothing short of pulling the engine to replace the RMS (which it appears to be) will fix it, then. I do not know?

A leak of that apparent magnitude isn't going to be slowed nor stopped by any additive. It needs to be repaired, whatever is causing it.

I'd be equally annoyed by the oil slick that it has to be leaving everywhere you go.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: hazmatuser

A leak of that apparent magnitude isn't going to be slowed nor stopped by any additive. It needs to be repaired, whatever is causing it.

I'd be equally annoyed by the oil slick that it has to be leaving everywhere you go.

Have no fear, no slicks. It may have increased in size, yes. So, no trans fluid slicks, as you call them. Though, it seems the drip-drip-drip occurs when the engine is spinning and won't be remedied by a bottle of stop.

Maybe the car is junk, then. If it's a rear main, the engine must be pulled?

the best course of action is to fix the leak itself but I have used ATP in the past and it sealed an ATF leak I had quickly.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
What fixes a front seal leak on a transmission is a new seal.

+10,000.

A proper mechanical fix always beats a band-aid. I dislike snake oil because it promotes delaying the fix and potentially causes other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back