ATF change

I finally broke out my harbor freight 2.3 g manual fluid extractor that I bought a few months ago. I was surprised at how dark the fluid was for only having 44k miles. Anyhow, thought I would share for any curious minds. Car is 2010 Toyota Corolla base model- 1.8l 2zz . It has 44,146 miles on it.I was pleasantly surprised at how easy this was to use. This was well worth the money . I did not really need this tool (at least for this car) because it still has the drain plug and dipstick. All I did was give it 2 or 3 pumps and that’s it it started pumping right away. It got about 3 quarts out, so that’s what went back in. I used the Toyota genuine ATF. I will be doing another one today after work as well to get more of the new fluid in.

Attachments

• IMG_2374.jpeg
    IMG_2374.jpeg
    282.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2386.jpeg
    IMG_2386.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2385.jpeg
    IMG_2385.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2389.jpeg
    IMG_2389.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2382.jpeg
    IMG_2382.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2376.jpeg
    IMG_2376.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2373.jpeg
    IMG_2373.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2557.jpeg
    IMG_2557.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2367.jpeg
    IMG_2367.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Yes as Astro14 stated I hope you didn't fill it will anti-freeze. I love my MityVac too and it's amazing how well they work.

Attachments

• p9Q%N+F8SB6pxt9IpRx7bw.jpg
    p9Q%N+F8SB6pxt9IpRx7bw.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 25
I’ve used the siphon and fill method for years { and get out about 3 qts once a year } and my 18 year old 4L60E at 242,000 miles still shifts like new.

There's no need to do another drain & fill so soon. You've added 3 quarts of fresh fluid to the system, that will keep it happy for at least another 20-30k miles. Here's a video: Toyota Trans Fluid Change
I don't take every word as gospel, but generally he knows what he is doing & saying.
For purposes of this thread topic...
1:22 --> how often to change the trans fluid
6:44 --> yes, fluid can be "too clean" in a used trans
7:53 --> full flush, or drain & fill?
10:10 --> doing multiple drain & fills, aka "bright red isn't necessary"
10:26 --> trans fluid color changes

My Toyota fluid always looks like that after 40k runs. I do a drain and fill, about 2.5 quarts, and everything is fine. You can still see through the reddish fluid if it's a thinner stream and I changed the filter back at 57k. I would leave it until 75-80k.

Ugh, the 'particles in the fluid help clutches' talk @6:44.
TCC is very knowledgeable about Toyota/Lexus vehicles, maintenance wise. I enjoy many of his videos.

Fluid and filter wise though, IMO, he's still a shade-tree mechanic and often relies on mythology, with all it's misinformation and conjecture.

Last edited:
Fortunately color isn't indicative of the health of the fluid.
And yet, if you have a transmission issue, one of the first things people will ask is “how does the ATF look like”? and “when was the last time it was changed”?

In this particular case, the color is likely from the clutch material, not an oxidized fluid.

I use my HF Extractor frequently. Works great for the power steering fluid also to get the reservoir refreshed, yes full flush is better but extract refill at every other oil change is way better than 99.9% do, and now with EPS, nothing to change.

To be honest I could have probably done without the HF extractor because my car has dipstick and drain plug for fluids, but I’m a big guy 6’6” 250 lbs and prefer not to get underneath the little Corolla if possible

TCC is very knowledgeable about Toyota/Lexus vehicles, maintenance wise. I enjoy many of his videos.

Fluid and filter wise though, IMO, he's still a shade-tree mechanic and often relies on mythology, with all it's misinformation and conjecture.
I 100% agree!!!

I watch his DIY videos and I enjoy them

whenever he talks about fluids and filters, I get annoyed real quick, a lot of misinformation.

Back