ATF change 2012 BMW 335is; dealers say never do

Status
Not open for further replies.
"If the trans has over 100k miles without service, doing a trans service is a bit of a gamble. Sometimes it will start to act up shortly thereafter."
This is because you're loosening bits of crud and having it float around. It shouldn't have been allowed to build up in the first place. Change it every 60k or so. "Lifetime" means the in warranty period. The manufacturer could care less what happens after they're no longer liable for the fix.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: edyvw
^This!
ZF recommends every 60-75K.
I did on my X5 at 64K, using ZF6 fluid and ZF made pan/filter.
I know some people who used Valvoline, Redline etc, but most people use ZF fluid and it is bit expensive, around $26 per liter.
Now, BMW switched to SOPUS for trans. fluid. I would personally skip BMW fluid and got ZF fluid.

I would use the ZF fluid as well. Many E90 owners on the forums report smoother shifts when changing their "lifetime" trans fluid. BMW says the fluid is lifetime but ZF recommends changing the fluid.

I've been using Castrol Edge 0w40 in my GF's 2006 325xi with the N52 and my neighbor's 2004 330xi with the M54 for a few years now with good results. The lifters in the 2006 with the N52 are quieter with the 0w40.

Yep, it shifts bit smoother, especially in manual mode.
Yes, Castrol 0W40 is definitely smooth oil. I used it in my previous car VW CC, and since it became available in Wal mart in my wife's Tiguan, before that I used GC 0W30.
Also, in BMW changing filter/pan should be also done. I found ZF filter/pan on Amazon for $96.

Thank you very, very much for taking your time to share your experiences and thoughts about this. After reading all of the great information, I will certainly change the transmission fluid and filter and check the O-rings. The brand of fluid, yet to be decided, haha. OE is very expensive, so will see about Redline or Maxlife. I've always changed the ATF every 25000-35000 (usually using MaxLife and LubeGard Red), which has provided many miles of trouble free transmissions. As for the oil, I will search out the Castrol Euro 0w-40 if the Castrol Euro 0w-30 isn't available. Thank you, again!!

The MaxLife fluid with 1-2 bottles of LubeGard red has (possibly) helped to get a few Chrysler 41TE transmissions and a couple Ford 6F35(? Fusion) transmissions to 250000-350000 miles without work. Switching the Fusions to this combo also was a remedy for the harsh 1-2 shift when first accelerating after a cold start in cold MN winters. Just a little FYI.

I would advise you not to use the Maxlife. For a simple drain and fill, I would use ZF LG8 to keep the fluid in the box consistent; this will assure performance, with no (potentially expensive!) experimentation necessary.

My recommendation would be a drain + fill every 50k miles, with a filter every 100k.

Doing that, you will get tired of the car long before a transmission issue rears its head.

Originally Posted By: DSteven
Thank you very, very much for taking your time to share your experiences and thoughts about this. After reading all of the great information, I will certainly change the transmission fluid and filter and check the O-rings. The brand of fluid, yet to be decided, haha. OE is very expensive, so will see about Redline or Maxlife. I've always changed the ATF every 25000-35000 (usually using MaxLife and LubeGard Red), which has provided many miles of trouble free transmissions. As for the oil, I will search out the Castrol Euro 0w-40 if the Castrol Euro 0w-30 isn't available. Thank you, again!!

The MaxLife fluid with 1-2 bottles of LubeGard red has (possibly) helped to get a few Chrysler 41TE transmissions and a couple Ford 6F35(? Fusion) transmissions to 250000-350000 miles without work. Switching the Fusions to this combo also was a remedy for the harsh 1-2 shift when first accelerating after a cold start in cold MN winters. Just a little FYI.

I know ZF is expensive, but it is cheaper then transmission. You cannot get all fluid out unless you do flush, and you should not flush it. That means some fluid will stay, so do not mix it. Use ZF LG8.
When I changed fluid with pan/filter, I got out 5 liters using gravity to get it out
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
Are you sure that you have an N55? I have a 2012 335i Sedan and it is N55. I had to choose between the 2012 335is E92 Coupe and the F30 sedan. There was no power kit available to make an equivalent "is" for the N55 until well after I bought the car in May 2012.

In either case, the engine definitely needs an LL-01 oil. I am putting in Castrol Edge 0w40 for the next change this month. It is pretty much the only LL-01 oil that I can buy at Walmart that I know of....at least in 5 qt jugs.

The 2012 335is coupe/convertible has the N54, the 2012 335i sedan has the N55. There was no real 335is sedan, putting the PPK kit on does not make it an "is", although the PPK was available, right from 2008 as it is the same kit sold for the 1 series.

So not sure what OP has, easy to check, does it have twin turbos or a single turbo. Unfortunately, BMW called both in 2012 "Twin Power" turbo.

Last edited:
We had an Audi A4 - and every dealer I went to told us the same thing - non of them would do the work for us.
At the end of the day - I used the internet to figure out how to do it myself and bought the proper tools.

I did 4 drain and fills with Maxlife and Lubegard Red - - - the only change was less sloppy shifts - quicker engagement. It performed flawlessly for over 50+k until we sold it for a SUV.

This sealed for life is total [censored]. The trans will start to eat itself once the pan magnets fill up.
Find an indy shop or DIY - its not that hard.

On a side note - Pentosin recommends full change of fluids every 60,ooo miles - - - I honestly don't know where these Germans get their recommendations?
It is not a lifetime fluid - - - - warranty lifetime perhaps

Originally Posted By: nicholas
On a side note - Pentosin recommends full change of fluids every 60,ooo miles - - - I honestly don't know where these Germans get their recommendations?
It is not a lifetime fluid - - - - warranty lifetime perhaps

ZF, a German company too, recommends 60-75k change. What BMW is saying it is lifetime, but that means lifetime until 100K, or until potential CPO expires. After that who cares.

The reason I used quotes was that I know the PPK doesn't convert the 335i to is. It does give it equivalent horsepower. The ECU software must have been the hold up along with waste gate configurations(there are now 2 versions depending on the waste gate in the engine). I inquired about buying it and could not. By the time one was officially available, I had decided that I was happy with it as is. If the PPK was available for the '08 and onward 135i, it was for the N54. The N55 came in 2011.

Now it hs been a few years, but here is the press release(sorry, inserting link on iOS doesn't work for some reason):
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820511

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
Are you sure that you have an N55? I have a 2012 335i Sedan and it is N55. I had to choose between the 2012 335is E92 Coupe and the F30 sedan. There was no power kit available to make an equivalent "is" for the N55 until well after I bought the car in May 2012.

In either case, the engine definitely needs an LL-01 oil. I am putting in Castrol Edge 0w40 for the next change this month. It is pretty much the only LL-01 oil that I can buy at Walmart that I know of....at least in 5 qt jugs.

The 2012 335is coupe/convertible has the N54, the 2012 335i sedan has the N55. There was no real 335is sedan, putting the PPK kit on does not make it an "is", although the PPK was available, right from 2008 as it is the same kit sold for the 1 series.

So not sure what OP has, easy to check, does it have twin turbos or a single turbo. Unfortunately, BMW called both in 2012 "Twin Power" turbo.

I agree with the others, follow ZF's recommendation instead of BMW's. Ours has the six speed, so I used ZF LG6. I would user the proper fluid and new pan. I also did the mechatronic sleeve so I wouldn't have to worry about it in the future, I don't know if your model is the same. You need a way to measure ATF temp to get the level correct, if you have INPA or similar you can use that.

Our old fluid looked pretty bad at 50k. It looked better at 100k. Next time I may do the first change earlier and stretch the following changes.

Change it. Have no fear. The manufacturers are moving to lifetime atf's because the leading cause of early transmission failure is contamination or the wrong fluid used.

Thank you for adding this. It is a 335i sedan with a sport appearance and yes the PPK. I was told it was a sport model, but that's the appearance package, I see, with full black kidney grilles, some dealer added body moldings and the such. I am sorry for the mess-up, and thank you for the clarification. The engine is a N55 and quite fun to drive. I will be doing the transmission service soon. Do you have any recommendation on spark plugs? I really like and want iridium, and cannot figure out if the OEM are iridium or platinum. The dealer showed me the replacements, but wasn't sure which metal. Again, I modded it a little further with a COBB tuner, charge pipe and next the downpipe. They recommend the intercooler be changed as well....your thoughts? There is an E30 I have tried and E85 tune available to use (we have a plentiful supply of E85 in corn country). It is becoming very snappy and the G-tech pro is showing very good numbers, granted it doesn't just sit and spin. Thank you for all your information.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
In the days when I never changed tranny fluid, my daily drivers only lasted 75K-125K miles on the transmissions. And I drove them pretty easy. Funny thing. Once I started doing 25K-30K fluid changes from early on, I jumped up to 175K-230K miles. Now, I haven't had a trans fail since around 2002....and that one went to 212,000 miles.

But while you were making changes to how you service your car (changing fluids), the year and model wasn't the same....was it. Therefore your ancedotal evidence is pretty useless. ALL tranny's have been improving for decades. Its the design that has solved longevity, not the fluid changes.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
"If the trans has over 100k miles without service, doing a trans service is a bit of a gamble. Sometimes it will start to act up shortly thereafter."
This is because you're loosening bits of crud and having it float around. It shouldn't have been allowed to build up in the first place. Change it every 60k or so. "Lifetime" means the in warranty period. The manufacturer could care less what happens after they're no longer liable for the fix.

"manufacturer could care less what happens after they're no longer liable for the fix"

So you think BMW or Toyota don't care what happens after the warranty period? That was how the business was run in the 1960's when the big 3 ruled. Just not true today. Do you honestly think that if your tranny went right after the warranty, you would would buy another of the same make? I know I wouldn't, and the executives know that too. Trust me, the manufacturers care ALOT if they want to be in business in the long run.

Originally Posted By: DSteven
Thank you for adding this. It is a 335i sedan with a sport appearance and yes the PPK. I was told it was a sport model, but that's the appearance package, I see, with full black kidney grilles, some dealer added body moldings and the such. I am sorry for the mess-up, and thank you for the clarification. The engine is a N55 and quite fun to drive. I will be doing the transmission service soon. Do you have any recommendation on spark plugs? I really like and want iridium, and cannot figure out if the OEM are iridium or platinum. The dealer showed me the replacements, but wasn't sure which metal. Again, I modded it a little further with a COBB tuner, charge pipe and next the downpipe. They recommend the intercooler be changed as well....your thoughts? There is an E30 I have tried and E85 tune available to use (we have a plentiful supply of E85 in corn country). It is becoming very snappy and the G-tech pro is showing very good numbers, granted it doesn't just sit and spin. Thank you for all your information.

For spark plugs, just get the factory recommended plugs from the dealer. Many issues with this engine and running the wrong plug. The factory plug is iridium. With the PPK tune installed, it is recommended to replace the plugs every 60k km, or 45k miles, should probably be done sooner if running a more aggressive tune.

Last edited:
My dealer is willing to change the ATF in my 8HP45; I'll probably have it done at 60,000 miles- @27,000 miles from now...

Originally Posted By: philipp10

"manufacturer could care less what happens after they're no longer liable for the fix"

So you think BMW or Toyota don't care what happens after the warranty period? That was how the business was run in the 1960's when the big 3 ruled. Just not true today. Do you honestly think that if your tranny went right after the warranty, you would would buy another of the same make? I know I wouldn't, and the executives know that too. Trust me, the manufacturers care ALOT if they want to be in business in the long run.

There's a lot of things the Germans don't care about after the warranty period. This is why German cars are a well-known nightmare to own after the warranty period.

Long term dependability is not a concern of theirs.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: umungus1122

Manufacturers consider the "lifetime" of the vehicle to be between 160k km (100k miles) to 240k km (150k miles), depending on the manufacturer. That's it. That is why if the fluid can make it that far, and the car dies at that point, they have done their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back