At what age do you stop meticulous maintenance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worst thing you can do for your vehicle is to be a slacker with maintenance as the vehicle ages.

Best to have an attrition plan in place based on your situation. Are you working or retired, does the vehicle meet your needs, would you rather buy a newer vehicle, etc. I usually run my vehicles too long because I become attached to them. Be proactive rather than have the tow truck coming to take it to the wreckers. I also keep an old third vehicle around to use if any one of the other two need servicing or repairs, because we both commute to work from our rural setting and need transportion. Also, the when the kids fly in to visit I have a car they can use. However, I'm planning to make the vehicle a jeep rather than an old Ford Taurus. This is after my daughter took the Taurus up a mountainous logging road to go hiking.

Last edited:
My ‘87 Toyota pickup has 300,000 miles on it and uses some oil. I’ve slacked off on oil changes since I figure that additives and base stock get replenished when I add oil. Maintaining this truck is purely a practical matter as I’m sure not worried about service records and resale value.

Good timing on this topic. I replaced the brake fluid on my 99 Avalon every 2 years religiously since getting her new in August 1999. On last cycle I thought screw it. This morning I gave her a flush after 4 years. The fluid was disgusting and I feel like a real schmuck for letting it go. At least I have not slacked on replacing coolant every two years using only Toyota Red. Gotta keep the old girl feeling good about herself.

I'm thinking its probably OK to go back to Dino oil and OCOD filters, because what's the up side? The car will hit the wreckers with a perfect engine you paid to maintain.

Last edited:
I'd still do routine maintenance but not really non-urgent repairs anymore. Worth of the vehicle is a factor as is how much longer it is likely to still be reliable.

For example: Jeep is at 240K-ish miles, 20 years old. Appraised tax value is $1200, market value is slightly less. It's leaking gear oil so am I going to take off the rear end, then find a machine shop to cut out the bearings, replace the seals, press in new bearings for $700? No, I'm just going to fill the differential with a quart of gear oil every two years. It's not environmentally responsible but repair cost is too great for a vehicle that's not likely to make it another 8 years - it also has a magical disappearing coolant act so it might be the 4.0 head issue.

I'll still buy the nicer-grade parts for things that affect safety, like Moog or Timken wheel hubs instead of Duralast or whatever. But the preventative maintenance stuff like belts, plugs, filters, leaky-but-accessible gaskets? Yeah I'll do them until the final death of the vehicle.

I wouldn't skip the maintenance but I would weigh a major repair (AC, Trans, Engine problems) against the fair street value of the car.

Granted, not many can predict that a clean, nice, 1992 Mazda B2600i with 200k miles will bring $3200 in 2018 or a 1988 Toyota truck with a rebuilt 22R and 4x4 will bring $3500 in 2018, but I suspect most cars that are 14-18 years old with 250k miles on them are worth less than a trans rebuild or AC compressor, condenser and evap coil.

Bottom line- keep changing the oil, keep brakes on it, trans fluid serviced, coolant serviced and any other minor repairs to keep it going. It will get you where you are going and help with eventual re-sale value.

Funny. My dad used to be very particular on maintenance and I was brought up with this attitude towards cars. Given what he understands to his ability, he does the right thing most of the time.

When he decides to get a new van to replace the old one, I took over the old one and realizes a list of things he overlooked that would not have happened 10 years ago.

I promptly worked on those and a 13 year old Odyssey drives like the day we drove it out of the lot.

Originally Posted By: supton
I stop maintaining when I feel like it. The older it gets, the less I worry, and the less time I spend.

A bit late on an oil change? no worries. Haven't washed it in 5 months? who cares. AC died? does the repair cost exceed value?

Now I do try to keep up on vacuuming & keeping glass clean. That's something I have to look at, always. Also if it's maintenance that might strand me on the side of the road, that'll get done on schedule.

Agree with everything said right here.

1) The "Hey, the car ain't worth repairing" argument always hit me as incomplete as well. There are too many variables and the Cost of Replacement is never mentioned.
It's been gone over.

2) If your vehicle is old and you just want one which is newer, safer, more comfortable and shiny etc., then just get one.
Don't go the route of the verbose pseudo economist. That's childish in a way.

3) Donating cars of age is no longer worth it. Organizations are so "pretty" now-a-days they can't use an old vehicle. They have to auction it off.

4) Selling it is a good way to go for many but many DO NOT want to deal with the process. That I understand. Me, it doesn't bother.

It all depends. For daily driven vehicles that one depends on to go back and forth to work, it pays off to be proactive and stick to the schedule.

But cars in general are very tough and it takes routine lack of maintenance to manifest itself in a bad way. Extending a few oil change intervals or riding out those brakes until the weather is good enough to change them is not going cause any harm.

Financially it always make sense to look after the car; especially if major components are in very good condition such as an engine, a transmission and paint; with little investments cars can run 250K miles while one saves for other expenses/needs/wants including a new car

I try to get my cars when someone else has given up on them-- so there's one mid-sized repair staring me right in the face. If it's a "keeper" I do the job with OE or top shelf parts.

At some point I switch to generic parts-- still do the maintenance but save some coin.

At some point I'm willing to use aftermarket rims that don't match, tires that don't match tread, the wrong size battery, random color paint over poorly sanded bondo, etc. The car still fits my self-imposed description of safe and reliable, but probably not one's definition of "meticulous". However I am still "in tune" with what my car needs, so my mindset may yet still be "meticulous".

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Maintenance schedule is maintenance schedule. I keep the same schedule as long as I own the vehicle.

As well as I do. That's why my cars are not beaters when older, and people I know want to buy my used vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back