AT Tire for 2wd Truck

Based on this feedback, I am curious if the G015's can retain their wet traction as they wear:

Interesting read. I do wonder if fwd would cause soft AT to wear faster? I almost never need to rotate my tires due to wear on rwd(I do it anyway) but must rotate religiously on my fwd vehicles because the fronts will definitely wear quicker. Just a thought with no real backing. Also noticed the discussion mainly mentioned snow and ice and I don’t deal with those although that would indicate wet traction is probably also suffering.

It definitely won’t make a street truck a trail boss but for my trails anyway it does make a difference. I’ve had 2wd trucks with at’s and it definitely helps as opposed to HT tires. North alabama is one of the few places you really can get away with running a 2wd truck and it work well.

I would also be lying if I said the look of an AT wasn’t at play here also. They work well typically for me but they also make the truck look tougher.

So, give us some background here as to what you've already used.

How many sets of tires have you put on this GMC, in the past?
Which tires have you used in the past, that have provided a noticible difference?

Between the 2000 GMC and the 2004 Chevy, I'm at 32 years of ownership, and have bought my share of tires for them.

So, give us some background here as to what you've already used.

How many sets of tires have you put on this GMC, in the past?
Which tires have you used in the past, that have provided a noticible difference?

Between the 2000 GMC and the 2004 Chevy, I'm at 32 years of ownership, and have bought my share of tires for them.
I’ve only owned this truck for a couple months. Currently has some Kelly HT’s that came on it. I’ve owned SEVERAL trucks in the past with a variety of AT tires.
Old version of falken wildpeaks, Toyo AT2’s, Mastercraft MXT, Nitto terra grapplers, ridge grapplers.
Most recently Cooper evolution MT’s on a 2001 ram 4x4 that were fair. They would get flat spots sometimes that went away after a couple miles and got noisy after 10k but it’s an MT so it’s expected. But for some reason at 26 I have dramatically changed in what I desire in a truck. I don’t find lifted 4x4’s with loud exhaust and the nastiest MT desirable anymore. I don’t remember how well any of those tires really did because I didn’t care at the time. Now I’m trying to find the balance between comfort and capability while keeping safety on the road a priority. From what I’ve found, I likely won’t go wrong with anything on the shortlist so I’ll probably end up just picking one randomly. Worst case scenario I sell them in 6 months and recover most of my money.

I have the General ATx and will say for wet traction and snow they’re the best AT I’ve ran. Very little noise if properly rotated. They were my go to recommendation for an aggressive AT when I was selling tires. We saw excellent results out of them.

That being said I don’t think an aggressive AT best fits your usage. I’d look into the Continental Terrain Contact AT, Firestone Destination AT or the Yokohama G015(I don’t have personal experience with this one but it seems well received around here).

Wet traction and minimal road noise?

Michelin. It’s a 2WD - just accept it and select the correct tire.
And it’s capable of plenty with an AT. As stated before, I’m not looking for an AT that I can run 100mph in the rain with or run at 20 db of noise, I’m simply looking for an AT that is better in those regards than other AT’s. I asked if anyone had experience with above stated tires in regards to noise and grip. It’s not an unreasonable question.

I have the General ATx and will say for wet traction and snow they’re the best AT I’ve ran. Very little noise if properly rotated. They were my go to recommendation for an aggressive AT when I was selling tires. We saw excellent results out of them.

That being said I don’t think an aggressive AT best fits your usage. I’d look into the Continental Terrain Contact AT, Firestone Destination AT or the Yokohama G015(I don’t have personal experience with this one but it seems well received around here).
So thats interesting about the generals. Aren’t they related to continental?

Based on this feedback, I am curious if the G015's can retain their wet traction as they wear:

I’ll certainly update on my set.

I will say, the tread sipes on the Geolandar G015 are not full depth, as on the Michelin LTX. And that will definitely affect both wet, and snow traction, after those sipes are worn away.

The yokohama g015 are my favorite mild AT tire but not sure they would be adequate offroad in a 2wd truck.

If you are used to mudders the toyo at 3 is pretty aggressive AT and not even close to mud tire noise(or even bfg at noise)
I also have a set on my 2019 cherokee. so recommending from experience. Plenty of favorable review articles out there too.

View attachment 90209

I have a set of Toyo Open Country AT3s on my Tacoma. Love ‘em.

I have a set of Toyo Open Country AT3s on my Tacoma. Love ‘em.
The Open Country AT3 was my first choice for my 2007 Tacoma, but they were backordered in my size (P265/75-16).

I went with the Yokohama Geolandar G015, and, with about 200 miles on them so far, I'm happy.

I would like to drive a truck that has the OC AT3 tires mounted.

I've had a few sets of AT tires over the years that have been mentioned -
Nitto Terra Grappler - ran probably 6 or 7 sets of these between my Liberty and LR3. Great tire on and off road, deep mud can be an issue. Rocks never a problem. Did puncture a sidewall once parallel parking once. Love the tires though, great wet traction and low noise. No issues airing down to 15 psi.
Hankook Dynapro ATM - have these on my Liberty now. Good traction on and off road, no punctures, but they are LOUD. Like helicopter landing loud. I did have some alignment issues though that have since been fixed. No issues with punctures or airing down.
Cooper Discoverer AT3 - had these briefly on a 96 Cherokee I was restoring. Quiet, great traction on road (never went off road with that one). No rim protector though and one of the tires had a wave in the sidewall. Didn't seem to impact anything.
Yokohama Geolander G015- had these on my 15 Cherokee. more of an aggressive all season than anything. Great traction in the snow and wet, even when they only had about 10k miles left. Very quiet and nice riding. Off road they'd gum up somewhat quick.
Toyo Open Country AT3 - have these on my Renegade Trailhawk. My favorite AT. Super quiet (I took the stock tires off at 9k miles and these were just as quiet), great traction in rain, snow and ice. Have spent a lot of time on the rocks with them aired down to 13psi and no issues at all. I love them.

I've had a few sets of AT tires over the years that have been mentioned -
Nitto Terra Grappler - ran probably 6 or 7 sets of these between my Liberty and LR3. Great tire on and off road, deep mud can be an issue. Rocks never a problem. Did puncture a sidewall once parallel parking once. Love the tires though, great wet traction and low noise. No issues airing down to 15 psi.
Hankook Dynapro ATM - have these on my Liberty now. Good traction on and off road, no punctures, but they are LOUD. Like helicopter landing loud. I did have some alignment issues though that have since been fixed. No issues with punctures or airing down.
Cooper Discoverer AT3 - had these briefly on a 96 Cherokee I was restoring. Quiet, great traction on road (never went off road with that one). No rim protector though and one of the tires had a wave in the sidewall. Didn't seem to impact anything.
Yokohama Geolander G015- had these on my 15 Cherokee. more of an aggressive all season than anything. Great traction in the snow and wet, even when they only had about 10k miles left. Very quiet and nice riding. Off road they'd gum up somewhat quick.
Toyo Open Country AT3 - have these on my Renegade Trailhawk. My favorite AT. Super quiet (I took the stock tires off at 9k miles and these were just as quiet), great traction in rain, snow and ice. Have spent a lot of time on the rocks with them aired down to 13psi and no issues at all. I love them.
Interesting that you thought the Dynapro ATMs were loud. I have them on my truck now and can’t hear them even at 80 on the interstate.

Cooper Discoverer AT's available at Walmart. Great traction and easy on the wallet. Have them on my current C1500 (and last one) and love them. Going on my Expedition when they need them next. Little bigger than what you need but these are for my Expedition for a price reference.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220226-145019_Walmart.jpg
    Screenshot_20220226-145019_Walmart.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 15
Interesting that you thought the Dynapro ATMs were loud. I have them on my truck now and can’t hear them even at 80 on the interstate.
Mine are feathered/chopped a bit, so I'm sure that doesn't help. But even when they were new, they weren't quieter than my Nitto Terras with 40k on them that they replaced.

Cooper Discoverer AT's available at Walmart. Great traction and easy on the wallet. Have them on my current C1500 (and last one) and love them. Going on my Expedition when they need them next. Little bigger than what you need but these are for my Expedition for a price reference.
Those should be great at cutting through standing water (an important consideration for OP, being in N. AL., just down 65 from me).

I wonder what the differences are between this and the Discoverer AT3, which sells for more $.

Back