At the range with ballistic gelatin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wrote someone on this subject....At this point in my old age, I'm more worried about getting even than staying alive. As long as I get a few in him, even if I get killed, I'll die happy. As we see their is no guarantee with ANY size gun.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clarkflower
Originally Posted By: 28oz
I've never been convinced of being able to judge a round's performance by shooting it into gelatin. A homogeneous block of gel just can't accurately mimic a body's varying density/consistency with its bones, connective tissues, voids, and different organs, etc..., IMO. Interesting data, for sure, but I don't think it's near the end-all picture of what a round is going to do that it is purported to be. I think animal carcasses (or, cadavers?) would be a much more accurate simulation..........although, obviously, much more expensive and less readily available.

I agree but was just reading gel penetration of 14 or so is suppose to take in all the variables. If it can get 14 in gel, it should hit the heart through a rib.

In the end we NEVER know. Here is an attacker hit with 3 from a 40. The bullets hit in the arm (which passed through), in the chest (with no indication of it having done substantial damage to the body) and in the shoulder. The shoulder bullet traveled through the shoulder into the chest, where it did substantial damage before coming to rest in the abdomen. This bullet hit the spleen and kidney, but it also hit two major circulatory organs, the Inferior Vena Cava (the main vein leading back to the heart) and the Iliac Aorta. It is the autopsy doctor’s opinion that this bullet was the cause of death, due to “massive internal bleeding.”

He ran away, got in a car and then drove away. If he had a gun he might have killed the guy. http://shootingthebull.net/blog/

I was in the army with a guy who took an AK round at the base of the nose/cheek just under the eye. It followed the outside of the cheek bone (maxilla?) and came out the neck under the ear. He didn't even get a headache.
Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.

My goal is just to get the best I can, with the easiest way to get it. I'm not going down to the cemetery with a shovel.;)

For my 32 it seems to be 14 inches from a tumbling Buffalo Barnes. It would be this 32 Auto 50gr Xtreme Cavitator 15-16 tearing up the block https://www.lehighdefense.com/products/32-acp-50gr-xtreme-cavitator-ammunition?variant=13337135428 which did fabulous....except (in my weapon) about 2 out of 20 fail to go bang on the first click and they dodn't see a fix coming soon.

The shooting the bull articles are nicely written. And, I agree with his overall premises. A minor note: He assumes the bullets in the .40 shooting were common SD hollow points. You can not assume that.

There are so many variables in shootings, it would be virtually impossible to come up with some kind of formula for best round.
It is true that the new bullet designs have been rigorously tested, not only by the manufacturers, but also outside agencies. However, it is still an incomplete process, and always will be. Human biases will always play a role. There are general trends that can be followed, though.

*Handguns are the least effective means of stopping a threat, for a firearm. However, they are by far, the most convenient. And, in reality, the ONLY firearm most of us will carry regularly.
*You need to make the most of the category: Quality, well constructed rounds that you can fire accurately and reliably. As many as you can fit into the carry package (within reason).

Some people have limitations on their carry package. Concealment, weight, capacity, availability. Where I live, Colorado, the gun laws are very favorable for carry. With one exception. I am limited to 15 round magazines. I have decided that, in general, IF I have the choice between 15 rounds of 9mm, or .40, or 10mm, or .45, I am probably going to go with the larger calibers, not excluding other factors. However, I would carry 9mm if I had to, and not feel any qualms. However, as the writer noted in shooting the bull, physics dictate larger calibers make bigger holes. Generally, everything else equal, a more powerful round will penetrate more. As someone noted, over penetration is better than under penetration. Just because a cartridge/load performed well under specific circumstance in the FBI tests, doesn't mean it will do the same in your shooting. There may be a huge difference in the way a load performs in a 3" barrel 9mm as opposed to a 6.02" 9mm.
Go with the generalities listed above, practice a lot, and hopefully have the right mindset when it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back