Are you noticing your aging

I'm 66. In pretty decent health for my age. Wife cooks healthy meals with lots of veggies. We walk 2 miles every day with at least a 1/4 mile up two steep hills. Our cardiovascular systems have benefited greatly. Been doing this for the past five years, every day. Heat, rain, cold, snow, we walk. Lightening is our only deterrent. We have both battled cancer and are still here.

My only real health issue, at least at this moment, is bad knees. I started my working career as a lineman for a utility. Spent every day on hooks climbing poles. I thought it was so cool at the time but never realized the damage it would do in the long run. I've had two surgeries scheduled to replace my right knee (the worst of the two). First was scrapped after the surgeon who was going to do it dropped out of our insurance plan as a preferred provider weeks before my scheduled surgery. My out of pocket sky-rocketed. Second surgery was schedule for this past spring but Covid put a damper on that one. Actually as painful as it can get sometimes, more so going down the hills than coming up, our walking is the only thing that seems to keep me going. Missing a couple of days will definitely cause me more pain and range of motion issues. I like maintaining our vehicles but it is getting more and more difficult as each day passes.

If you have diverticulitis, be wary of breads that have lots of grains. Been there, NOT doing that again.

Thats right but it is a gradual decline that occurs over decades. It can be too low for various reasons. My brother does not know what caused his to drop so much, but he was well below the norm for his age.

Average T Levels by Decade
  • 720 ng/dl for a man in his 30’s
  • 667 ng/dl for a man in his 40’s
  • 606 ng/dl for a man in his 50’s
  • 562 ng/dl for a man in his 60’s
  • 523 ng/dl for a man in his 70’s
The T therapy worked wonders for him.

This can be a very confusing topic, but “total testosterone“ (as above) is not the most important measure. “Available testosterone” seems to be key. And high total doesn’t necessarily mean high available. Anyone getting a test should make sure “available” is tested as well and ask for an explanation of what it means In their circumstance.

I'm 66. In pretty decent health for my age. Wife cooks healthy meals with lots of veggies. We walk 2 miles every day with at least a 1/4 mile up two steep hills. Our cardiovascular systems have benefited greatly. Been doing this for the past five years, every day. Heat, rain, cold, snow, we walk. Lightening is our only deterrent. We have both battled cancer and are still here.

My only real health issue, at least at this moment, is bad knees. I started my working career as a lineman for a utility. Spent every day on hooks climbing poles. I thought it was so cool at the time but never realized the damage it would do in the long run. I've had two surgeries scheduled to replace my right knee (the worst of the two). First was scrapped after the surgeon who was going to do it dropped out of our insurance plan as a preferred provider weeks before my scheduled surgery. My out of pocket sky-rocketed. Second surgery was schedule for this past spring but Covid put a damper on that one. Actually as painful as it can get sometimes, more so going down the hills than coming up, our walking is the only thing that seems to keep me going. Missing a couple of days will definitely cause me more pain and range of motion issues. I like maintaining our vehicles but it is getting more and more difficult as each day passes.
I’ve noticed the same thing with my bad left knee, makes working on the cars much more difficult. Trying to get on and off of the ground can be very difficult with a knee that has lost its range of motion. I remember over the winter I had some pipes freeze up and had to go under the house. I remember standing there battling on how I was going to get under then just ended up going in anyway while enduring the pain of bending my knee. I Got the job done but paid dearly for it the next couple of weeks.

I’ve noticed the same thing with my bad left knee, makes working on the cars much more difficult. Trying to get on and off of the ground can be very difficult with a knee that has lost its range of motion. I remember over the winter I had some pipes freeze up and had to go under the house. I remember standing there battling on how I was going to get under then just ended up going in anyway while enduring the pain of bending my knee. I Got the job done but paid dearly for it the next couple of weeks.
The knee surgeries they can do now are amazing. Have you talked to a good surgeon? There is recovery in many cases.
Good luck.

I am fortunate to be near sighted instead of far sighted. I don't wear glasses at work but I do need them to drive. 51 now and have no problem reading bitog on my phone. My wife always asks me to read the food ingrediants on the back of packages because she can't.

You're still young. My wife would have said the same thing when she was 51. Now, 6 years later she needs her cheaters to see her iPad. Vision degradation due to age is easy enough to remediate.

Just turned 37. Slight knee and back pain, some grey facial hair, slight gut, hangovers are worse, and, even though I'm happily married for a long time, those younger women don't look at me as much. Also, some co workers never saw some awesome movies. Such is life.

The knee surgeries they can do now are amazing. Have you talked to a good surgeon? There is recovery in many cases.
Good luck.
Actually my knee has been like this ever since I let them do surgery. I couldn’t run, fly down steps or anything like I used to. After surgery I can still do none of that with less range of motion. Really sucks being Motorcycles are what makes me happy and I prefer a sport bikes which makes for a really hard time getting my foot on the peg with the lack of motion.

Im 63 and retired at 49 because of injuries i got from a motorcycle crash on Good Friday 1979....I spent almost 3 months in hospital and took years to walk again. Now I need a walker or cane to walk because of horrible pain.
I was lucky to have made enough money and saved it by 50 years old I never had to work again.....plus being very lucky in the Arizona housing run up of 06 and i had bought up condo's in north Scottsdale.
My wife died 3+ years ago which took alot out me ....at least I have a GF who is a retired ICU nurse now and we live a good life with the time we have left. Like me she never had kids or ever married....like she says at least i had 24 years with my wife before she died.

Actually my knee has been like this ever since I let them do surgery. I couldn’t run, fly down steps or anything like I used to. After surgery I can still do none of that with less range of motion. Really sucks being Motorcycles are what makes me happy and I prefer a sport bikes which makes for a really hard time getting my foot on the peg with the lack of motion.
I feel the same exact way. I'm 66 and had my right knee replaced four months ago. While most of the initial post-op pain has subsided, my knee is still a little swollen and I can't bend my knee all the way yet, either way. I do feel that I am very slowly healing. I had two months of therapy and I gave 100% effort every session. Knee cap down to the area they drove the rod into my tibia is still numb. I still have some pain, but a different pain than what I went through to convince me to get the replacement.

Just turned 37. Slight knee and back pain, some grey facial hair, slight gut, hangovers are worse, and, even though I'm happily married for a long time, those younger women don't look at me as much. Also, some co workers never saw some awesome movies. Such is life.
Nearly 68 and the hangover my belt is increasing dramatically.

Getting up/down is a pain.

Best purchase for me this year was a garden kneeler for 40 bucks. Just got it and I can kneel and get up with the hand rails and it turns over for a bench. great for lawn sprinkler replacement.

Nope but that’s because I’m 18 right now. Will be 19 on the 23rd of this month. Still awhile before I will notice I’m sure. Even though sometimes after a long day my legs kill me probably from lugging around those steel toe boots all day and being on a concrete floor. I use knee pads to save my knees yes I get laughed at but I don’t care. My automotive teacher always urged us to use knee pads and I followed his advice so hopefully I won’t have knee problems later in life.

Back