Are you cutting down on high fructose corn syrup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: javacontour
I try to avoid all added sugars. If I am eating a gram of carbohydrates, I need more than just calories. I need to get actual nutrients and fiber.

+1
Which is why I've switched from sugary treats for my afternoon office snack, to baby food.
There's a whole list of organic, fruit blends that satisfy the sweet tooth, while providing natural fibers and vitamins.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Originally Posted By: JLTD
Definitely. It's been banned as a food for humans in other countries (including Canada) because of negative health effects.

Any links to back this up? All the info I found says there are quotas and Canada calls it glucose-fructose syrup.

Nope, my mistake - and Europe does not have a ban, it is quota driven. I still try to avoid it.

It's regularly been found to contribute or is hinted at contributing to diabetes. It's not the same as sugar as it causes insulin spikes. why hfcs is bad.

The problem is that it is in everything. It's difficult to avoid. Bread really? Whoever puts it I that should be jailed. I avoid it. Recently I was buying pickles and happened to look at the label yep! Vlassic pickles even have hfcs in them.

Much of the western world is ingesting huge quantities of processed corn, soy, wheat and meat. The big food industries employ, at considerable expense, the same kind of people the tobacco industry used to obfuscate the wrong they were doing in pursuit of profit.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: 97prizm
It's regularly been found to contribute or is hinted at contributing to diabetes. It's not the same as sugar as it causes insulin spikes. why hfcs is bad.

The problem is that it is in everything. It's difficult to avoid. Bread really? Whoever puts it I that should be jailed. I avoid it. Recently I was buying pickles and happened to look at the label yep! Vlassic pickles even have hfcs in them.

The article linked in your post applies to any refined sugar, not just HFCS. Some sugars are better than others, but one could conclude that overconsumption of any sugar (including fruit sugars) is not healthy long term.

They put in bread because its a humectant and helps keep the bread pliable, as it helps keep the food in a rubbery and not a crystalline state.

Originally Posted By: Claud
Much of the western world is ingesting huge quantities of processed corn, soy, wheat and meat. The big food industries employ, at considerable expense, the same kind of people the tobacco industry used to obfuscate the wrong they were doing in pursuit of profit.

Claud.

Processed in what way? Highly processed like HFCS or minimally processed like cooking it? Food industry has lobbyists, but their main goal is not to obfuscate the wrong in pursuit of profit, at least not in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Most recently purchased Heinz Simply Ketchup instead of regular Heinz, no more high fructose corn syrup.
Last month I needed pancake syrup - retired Miss Aunt Jemima and purchased Log Cabin Original, without high fructose corn syrup.
Swapped-out my fructose-loaded Pepsi 12pk for Pepsi with Sugar this time-around...... I like it.

Are some of you BITOGERs doing the same?

Or eat real food and not over processed, well, would not call it food.

HIGHLY recommend people read this book.

41TwsMbwjQL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Originally Posted By: Claud

Claud.

Processed in what way? Highly processed like HFCS or minimally processed like cooking it? Food industry has lobbyists, but their main goal is not to obfuscate the wrong in pursuit of profit, at least not in my opinion.

Ever heard of a corporation not in private hands that hadn't got profit as its #1 objective?. The emulsions of sugar and fats that are a large part of the western diet Are what I'm referring to.

Claud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back