Are these factory Ford lug nuts pure garbage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just encountered a few of the cap things coming off the lug nuts when I did brakes on my 2010 Escape a few weeks back. Yes, I used an impact. Without the cap that kept getting stuck in my impact sockets it was 1mm smaller size. Junk!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Crusher
Blaze
I completely agree with SirTanon
Buy some solid spline lug nuts. I had the same issue with my 2011 Expedition. I replaced the lug nuts at about 100k miles at the Ford Dealership. I was told that the lug nuts had swollen. Then last Spring the same thing happened at 160k miles at Discount Tire. I asked if there was a fix and was told about the solid spline lug nuts. I bought them from Discount Tire and they work great!

I ended up ordering the Gorilla solid lugs.

As soon as they get here I'll take it down to the tire store for the change. I'm not going to even try and get these off.

Thanks for the replies. Glad we didn't have a flat!!

automakers have been using those for years and they all tend to swell or distort.

I have them on my 97 t-bird and a few have swelled but I've always been able to get them off with some patience etc, but i did just order some new ones for it that are one piece because this thread reminded of the issue.

with a little work you can get the aluminum cover off and the nut itself is still functional but its a different size, usually 18mm socket will fit but then obviously they no longer look appealing, but they would still be functional until you get a replacement

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
There is a recall for the 2-piece lugnuts on my Fusion. Yours are likely the same. Recall is supposed to replace them with solid ones.

The dealer screwed my stock lug nuts up during an oil change/tire rotation once. Luckily I had a complete set of non-Ford lugnuts in the car with me at the time.

The 2 piece lug nuts are pure junk from many oem's that use them. Among other issues, water gets trapped inside of them causing them to expand/corrode when going through many freeze/thaw cycles. Actually, the best lug nut set up by far I've seen is, after torqueing 100,000 plus lug nuts on every make of vehicle, are the GM ones with the screw on plastic cap.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
An actual recall or a "common issue" ? I just checked 2014 Fusions (what we have) and there's no recall. Nonetheless, I've replaced the lugnuts on ours with McGard lugnuts.

Whoops, I said recall... I meant lawsuit. I did get something in the mail that said the dealer would replace the lugnuts, but I don't recall what it said they would replace them with...

Quote:
August 24, 2017 — Ford swollen lug nuts have caused a proposed class-action lawsuit that alleges the lug nuts swell, crack and delaminate to the point special tools are needed to remove the lug nuts.

The lawsuit alleges the swollen lug nuts are installed on the Ford Fusion, Escape, Flex, Focus, F-150 and F-350.

Instead of solid steel nuts, the plaintiffs say Ford sells its vehicles with lug nuts that have a steel core with chrome, aluminum or stainless steel caps attached to improve the appearance of the visible part of the lug nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back