Are star wheel adjustable brakes not actually self adjusting?

I did the brakes on my little F350 dump truck thinking the adjusters would do their thing after backing and using the park brake a bunch.

About lit the steer axle brakes on fire a few weeks later getting a 5 ton load stopped. Whoops.
Wasn't noticeable empty that the rear brakes weren't doing anything.

Or take photos or video. Which 20 years ago wasn't so easy!
Yeah, I do that now, but back when I was working on those kinds of brakes, taking a picture meant, taking a picture, waiting until you had shot all the frames on that roll of film, taking the film to get developed, deciding if you wanted prints or slides, and then, picking them up when you’re done. Reckon it was weeks, at best, or months, before you would see the picture. 😉

Guess tomorrow I'll be driving down the street in reverse all day. The neighbors will be giving me a funny look like they usually do.

I did the brakes on my little F350 dump truck thinking the adjusters would do their thing after backing and using the park brake a bunch.

About lit the steer axle brakes on fire a few weeks later getting a 5 ton load stopped. Whoops.
Wasn't noticeable empty that the rear brakes weren't doing anything.

Yeah, I do that now, but back when I was working on those kinds of brakes, taking a picture meant, taking a picture, waiting until you had shot all the frames on that roll of film, taking the film to get developed, deciding if you wanted prints or slides, and then, picking them up when you’re done. Reckon it was weeks, at best, or months, before you would see the picture. 😉
Personally I don't see drum brakes complicated enough to need pics, but then again I get interuppted so many times I still take pics of almost anything. I'll be like oh good, the tree is still 20 feet away, hasn't moved I double checked in my picture 🤣

My Accent the self adjusters work. I use the ebrake and back out applying it hard a few times. And on the Accent the adjusters have to be oriented correctly.

Kid stuff. Years ago we had to make an oil painting of what was in there.

Adjuster on a Versa below the wheel cylinder. Not sure how it self-adjusts. I just adjust it so the drum turns with a slight drag.

160Rear brake shoes.jpg

There are many designs for drum brake self adjusters. Older Dodge rear drums would self adjust driving forward or reverse. No need for fancy driving.

Adjuster on a Versa below the wheel cylinder. Not sure how it self-adjusts. I just adjust it so the drum turns with a slight drag.

View attachment 217327
The adjuster is on the bar.

When the shoes move too far apart, that metal clip slides over the teeth on the star wheel, and moves it one turn. That clip has to g on exactly correctly, and it can't be bent, or it won't work.

But more importantly, you sell cars to people, knowing that they have faulty brakes?

Brakes that will get less and less effective because you did not properly check or fix the adjuster?

That has to be one of the most unethical things I have ever read on this forum.

Where did I ever say I didn't properly fix the adjuster? I said I didn't know how it self adjusts. I take them apart and lube them so they are working, but I guess you didn't notice the orange lube.

Not knowing how they self adjust doesn’t mean the brakes won’t work properly. Everything in that picture looks clean and lubricated where it needs to.

Even if the adjuster is stuck right from the beginning, but the slack was adjusted properly, the brakes will work fine for a long time anyways.

Where did I ever say I didn't properly fix the adjuster? I said I didn't know how it self adjusts. I take them apart and lube them so they are working, but I guess you didn't notice the orange lube.
You stated that you don't know how it works. That's exactly what you said.

So, how could you fix it properly?

How could you know if it even works correctly?

But you'll sell it anyway...right?

You stated that you don't know how it works. That's exactly what you said.

So, how could you fix it properly?

How could you know if it even works correctly?

But you'll sell it anyway...right?
I take it apart, clean and lube the threads, put it back together, adjust to slight drag. Made it better than I found it. Most sellers don't even CHECK the brakes.

Polaroid came out with color prints in 1963 😜

Back