Are my alternator slip rings too worn?

Attached below are some pics, alternator completely failed, doesn't charge, brushes definitely worn down. I might replace the voltage regulator since I'm already in here and pull apart the assembly to clean if this looks repairable to clean it out.

Capture.jpg

Capture3.jpg

Capture2.jpg

I've seen videos where people just clean them up and continue to use them. To me, it looks excessively worn, but I've been wrong before.
One trick is to reverse the wires going to the stator so the current flows in the opposite direction by way of the brushes. Makes no difference to the alternator. This way the ring that wears the most will become switched to the ring that still has the most material.

Do what the cheap volume remanufacturers do. Clean then paint the case/outer housing, slap some brushes in it and SEND it..:LOL:

Actually, sometimes one can buy a new slip ring setup from an alternator/starter supply house and fix it the right way. If it is the OEM alternator, you might want to keep the stator and rotor and rebuild the unit with slip rings, bearings and brushes.

Do what the cheap volume remanufacturers do. Clean then paint the case/outer housing, slap some brushes in it and SEND it..:LOL:

Actually, sometimes one can buy a new slip ring setup from an alternator/starter supply house and fix it the right way. If it is the OEM alternator, you might want to keep the stator and rotor and rebuild the unit with slip rings, bearings and brushes.
There are rebuild kits with nippon denso parts, but I can't seem to find a slip ring for it

I found a full rebuild kit here, might go with this route. it doesn't look like too much work to do on the rotor. just need to pull a bearing off

I would not change the regulator or rectifier. Oem is probably the best quality and has proven itself to work thus far. I would clean everything up and put new bearings, brushes, and slip ring and call it a day.

I would not change the regulator or rectifier. Oem is probably the best quality and has proven itself to work thus far. I would clean everything up and put new bearings, brushes, and slip ring and call it a day.
is there a way to bench test the regulator? the voltage dipped below 12 while the car was running.

Last edited:
is there a way to bench test the regulator? the voltage dipped below 12 while the car was running.
Im not sure if you can bench test just the voltage regulator. Often if the voltage dips low on an alternator that looks like that with worn brushes and a bad slip ring it could be that the contact between the ring and brush is gone and not charging the battery although i would expect the alternator light to illuminate if that happened. Only way i know to test is to run the vehicle and measure the voltage with a multimeter

Depending on the vehicle the voltage regulation might be performed by the ECU. That is why there are so many wires going to that plug. Looks like there are four wires. The regulator in the alternator is a backup and is only used when communication with the ECU is lost. I'm only saying this because replacing the voltage regulator in the alternator could be a waste of time/money. I would look at the wiring diagram for this car.

Depending on the vehicle the voltage regulation might be performed by the ECU. That is why there are so many wires going to that plug. Looks like there are four wires. The regulator in the alternator is a backup and is only used when communication with the ECU is lost. I'm only saying this because replacing the voltage regulator in the alternator could be a waste of time/money. I would look at the wiring diagram for this car.
Honestly, it's not too much work to pull it out and replace it with a new one, I'll just get the slip ring, bearings, and brush assembly and run it. Going to clean up the whole assembly too since it was covered in oil

Back