Arctic Front Forming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by KGMtech
Cold winters help keep people healthy, the freeze / thaw cycle hovering around freezing doesn't destroy viruses...unless this old theory has been busted?

That's what I always remember hearing back in the 1970s and 80s. Certainly is logical. I'm in the USA. Once out of the body most of these viruses and microbes are very susceptible to UV from the sun and florescent lighting, and the cold, especially sub freezing, and tend to die quickly in those environments.

supposed to snow in the Seattle area next Monday or Tuesday. tire places gonna be swamped this week. i hope people heed the warning and stock up and prepare. hopefully last year got them to get their head outta their arse

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by SevenBizzos
Yeah, the longer range outlook (back 1/2 of the month) was looking interesting. But that would be pretty typical of late January, so whatever.

Yea, I was out in shorts on christmas day. Yesterday I was brushing snow off the cars
smirk.gif
. Nature can't figure out what it wants to do!

Weather is very unpredictable. It's been like that since the beginning no matter how hard we try to predict it.

Originally Posted by Charles Dudley Warner
Everybody complains about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.
Source

Well, turns out the cold front stayed to the west side of the USA. The best we could do is almost freeze out Las Vegas (still pool weather for Canadians), and -51 F in Watson Lake, Yukon.
Enjoy the weekend.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Well, turns out the cold front stayed to the west side of the USA. The best we could do is almost freeze out Las Vegas (still pool weather for Canadians), and -51 F in Watson Lake, Yukon.
Enjoy the weekend.
smile.gif

LOL! its 40F and rising here. It will be 60 tomorrow and 70 Saturday and Sunday here. So much for "artic front"

I've yet to put a long sleeve on this winter. Don't make me start now.

On the other hand, a good hard freeze would be great for killing off the pest population around here.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

On the other hand, a good hard freeze would be great for killing off the pest population around here.

We still have ladybugs flying around now...that is almost unheard of here even in South Carolina.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

We still have ladybugs flying around now...that is almost unheard of here even in South Carolina.

I'm on the GA/SC border, and I killed a mosquito on my arm this afternoon. That's not good.

I'm afraid your uninvited cool "Breeze" has already started to arrive, I spent all day outside but trying to stay near the woodstove in the garage since it was 28F, now 11:50pm, 17F on our side of the Line! Next week they say its going to be below 0F, No Temperature! Going to try and hang out by the woodstove in the house!

I don't know the path of this thing, but we're getting some cold weather late next week.

Ive enjoyed the mild winter so far. Between the warmer weather letting the heat pump run and burning wood when it's well below freezing, we've only used about 100 gallons of propane so far. A year ago at this time, I had to buy just over 400 gallons.

This is our second winter with the house btw.

My heat pump automatically switches to my propane boiler at an outside temp of 32 degrees F. The boiler uses an water-to-air heat exchanger to provide warm forced air to the main level upstairs. The same boiler, uses a heat exchanger in the hot water tank and also provides in-floor heat in the lower level of the house (walk out basement). I use the airtight wood stove in the basement to get the upstairs temp to 70 degrees which turns off the boiler-heated forced air.( I also heat the garage to about 55 degrees F ) with in-floor heat from the boiler. I used 200 gallons of propane since the beginning of November. The house has a fair amount of glass to the south and is partly passively heated but it's been a cloudy winter so far.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Yesterday a strong southern wind really beat on us. By the time I decided to take down this huge sun sail … it was too late so I slacked one end into the pool … and added all kinds of rope to the other end… all good.

Looked out this am … figured I'd hoist it up again Nope, north wind hit …

Dang it Snag! Quit sending that stuff down here. -12 when I rolled out of bed this morning.🥶ðŸ“

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
My heat pump automatically switches to my propane boiler at an outside temp of 32 degrees Fis partly passively heated but it's been a cloudy winter so far.
smile.gif

I usually leave the heat off until it gets below freezing

Snag, I have not seen the boiler central air in use here. Heat pumps have come along way past 15 years, only problems I've seen is a "BIG" Ice cube in the center of the condenser when they stop working, or they can't keep they temp in check. Shut them down, break up ice, remove, restart, GTG. It really does not get very cold here that often. We make sure it does not come south of the 49th parallel.

We cut you guys a little slack since you "Inherited" the agreement! A little cold air, but just a little.

Non pol*t*cal, On June 15, 1846, Britain and the United States sign the Treaty of Oregon establishing the 49th parallel as the primary international boundary in the Pacific Northwest.

We do see Water-to-water "coolant" geothermal heat pumps that work great with correctly designed hydronic radiant floor systems, and straight geothermal hydronic in floor heat systems. Some even have geothermal in concrete slabs in their airplane hangars and work shops.

Good to hear, KneeGrinder. By the way, relief is on the way. Cranbrook will bottom out at -3 F on Tuesday, as will Calgary, but at -29 F. Living on the west slope of the Rockies has its benefits.
smile.gif

Looks like the front made it to Dallas, which is 33 F this morning.

Last edited:
Well folks. It's almost over. Over the course of this weekend Calgary's low will go from -21 F to +19 F. An underground water main in my old hood in Calgary burst and flooded the street. This was a bad one.
coffee2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back