AR-15 Buffer Springs .223 v 9mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a nice used AR-15 with a 9mm upper.

I was surprised how hard it recoils when fired with regular 9mm commercial ammo! ARs in 9mm are blow back only
so I figured it should have a stiffer spring, but I found no information on that.

In the meantime I'm making light 9 mm hand loads. It's weird how the .223 recoil is nowhere as hard or slams the bottom of the buffer tube!

The buffer tube is carbine length only, btw.

A few years back I would not have cared, but seeing the condition of the range rental guns and how they break, I thought I'd better pay
attention!

Any thoughts?

yeah when i first shot one i was surprised by the recoil. The gas action of the regular ar seems to buffer the recoil, while the blow back does nothing . the extra speed of the blow back hit the hammer harder and i have read that some trigger manufactures won't warranty triggers used in blowback ar's

the recoil is one of the reason some say the sig mpx with the gas action recoils less.

I'm shooting this Rock River Arms LAR-9, 9 MM Carbine. I've had it for close to 10 years now, and never had any issues with it. It has seen a LOT of 9 MM ammunition over the years. I bought it as a complete rifle. Rock River machines the lower as a dedicated 9 MM, instead of pressing a block into the magwell like Colt and several others do.

I never really noticed any "recoil" from it per say. I mean, fully loaded it's a 9 MM in a 7 + pound rifle. The gun is a lot of fun to shoot, and quite accurate. And it will squeeze a few hundred FPS more out of it's 16" barrel with most any 9 MM ammo. The worst thing is loading the magazines. It's all but impossible to get a full 32 rounds into them without a Uplula, or some type of mag loader without killing your thumbs. It takes and feeds all the standard mags from Colt, C-Products, even the cheap plastic Pro Mag models feed well. I've never had the buffer tube and spring out of it, so I can't really say how it compares to a .223 / 5.56 MM AR-15. If you want to make a lot of 9 MM ammo disappear quickly, it's definitely the gun to own.

Rock River Arms LAR-9 #2.jpg

Rock River Arms LAR-9MM.jpg

RRA 9 MM Carbine 2.jpg

RRA 9MM Carbine.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back