Apocalypse plumbing AKA the basement crap flood

Pix are from my basement. A poorly supported main sewer pipe came loose and caused a minor crap flood when the washer drained. Luckily the basement is unfinished concrete so no real damage. I was working alone so I put two eye bolts above the pipe and lifted it with a length of rope. Installed steel strapping to support the pipe and used Fernco fittings to replace the 30 year old fittings. The designer of Fernco fittings should get a Nobel Prize.

81854D84-E0B0-46C6-B768-C14099900C13.jpeg
74EEDA7D-8631-4426-AFAA-BDA8A5DE1A9E.jpeg
DA5381CF-F148-4EED-9CD7-7E9C908F09B3.jpeg

Yup, No-Hubs are your friend. I use them to make a positive joint between traps and the pipes so I can remove a trap without drama.

In my previous house my wife said the garbage disposal smelled! With out thought I changed the garbage disposal and about a month later the house stunk . I looked under the house and it has about an inch of poop from the toilet line breaking, so like an idiot I cleaned the mess up , it was a very unpleasant experience. After the clean up I sprayed an enzyme to digest the odor. with in 3 weeks the odor was gone then I placed visqueen down and all was good. Later I learned that for the cost of the deductible the insurance would have paid for the job.

Ugh.. Been there a time or two as well.

Maybe replace that cast iron T with a plastic one at some point, just to take the weight off.

The pipe does pitch up instead of down 1/4 inch per foot. The previous owner bought a trashed, copper stripped foreclosure home and “ fixed it up “ I wonder if the guy drank a lot. The plumbing has been clog free for over 20 years of daily use. We use bidet seats on the toilets so no toilet paper to clog anything.

In my previous house my wife said the garbage disposal smelled! With out thought I changed the garbage disposal and about a month later the house stunk . I looked under the house and it has about an inch of poop from the toilet line breaking, so like an idiot I cleaned the mess up , it was a very unpleasant experience. After the clean up I sprayed an enzyme to digest the odor. with in 3 weeks the odor was gone then I placed visqueen down and all was good. Later I learned that for the cost of the deductible the insurance would have paid for the job.
It's just as well though, while the insurance might have paid, it's one of those things where the more claims you have the more likely your premiums would have gone up. Any savings from having them do it would get wiped out by higher premiums.

Reactions: GON
Been there, done that but, mine was the floor drain backing up and it stank! Nowhere near 50 gallons, maybe a few at most. It happened TWICE and then never again 🤷‍♂️ 🤞

Pix are from my basement. A poorly supported main sewer pipe came loose and caused a minor crap flood when the washer drained. Luckily the basement is unfinished concrete so no real damage. I was working alone so I put two eye bolts above the pipe and lifted it with a length of rope. Installed steel strapping to support the pipe and used Fernco fittings to replace the 30 year old fittings. The designer of Fernco fittings should get a Nobel Prize.

View attachment 86601View attachment 86602View attachment 86603
In the1st pic, are those chicken nuggets or cookies?

Back